The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-14-2007, 06:36 PM

yeah! RgRegg48 agrees!!! Its tough to explain, but after you hear him for a while you get kinda, bored with the same kinda feel.... I dunno
Old 05-14-2007, 07:08 PM

I'm amazed at most people that play better than me but I'm a pushover for well played music of any kind. Doyle Dykes is one of my favorites and I give props to some old blues guys like Blind Boy Fuller, Rev. Davis, Blind Blake and Lemmon, Pink Anderson. Best I ever heard live was Lindsey Buckingham.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Cbanjo, great links and....

I do see what you are getting and the insight from others helps, the YouTube links are great, TE's playing just doesn't get boring or too repetitive for me, technically other fingerpickers are better sure, but groove and making the instrument your own goes SO FAR
Old 05-14-2007, 10:37 PM

With all due respect to Chet Atkins, I don't think he was as good as Tommy on his best day.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:45 PM

Tommy E is an incredible guitarist. However, calling any one guitarist "the best" seems like marketing to me. Its kind of like saying a certain couple has the best marriage in the world. There are just too many variables to nail down something like that.

With all that said, I'd certainly love to be able to play like TE. I got to meet him awhile back and he seemed like an alright guy.

I would like to see his critics on this thread up on stage with Tommy to see how a really good guitarist would show Tommy Emmanuel how to play.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:00 PM

And why would one need to be better than someone to criticize/critique them?

I'm another one that doesn't enjoy TE. I don't mind listening to him for a song or two on occasion, but I can't stand to watch him play. He is an incredibly skilled player that does absolutely nothing for me. If I had his chops, I wouldn't be playing the way he does. For me, it has no heart.

That being said, enjoy whatever you like... and please be nice to me, I was merely stating an opinion of which it would dis-hearten me greatly to be maligned over.

You can give without loving, but you can't love without giving.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:25 AM

Default question

Is it harder to be a great fingerpicker or a great flatpicker?

Cause this guy has some mad skills..... And he's blind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q9ea...elated&search=
Old 05-15-2007, 03:57 AM

Thumbs up fingerpicker

I think Chet is a legend! I'm also a Doug Smith fan. I also like Tuck Andress...
Old 05-15-2007, 03:57 AM

"One of the greatest guitar players on the planet”, Chet Atkins on Tommy Emmanuel

"Pat Donohue is one of the greatest fingerpickers in the world today", Chet on Pat Donohue

"He plays my tunes better than I ever did, with more flair and command, and has added elements to the arrangements that are beyond anything I ever did. ", Chet on Richard Smith

"Only once in lifetime does something come down the river like that", Chet on Jerry Reed

"He is one of the true geniuses of the guitar", Chet on Lenny Breau

"Doyle is one of the finest fingerpicking guitarists around. I sincerely admire him as a person and as a musician.", Chet on Doyle Dykes

The Tommy quote is overdone. I think it's safe to say that there were a LOT of guitarists Chet admired.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhyland View Post
Is it harder to be a great fingerpicker or a great flatpicker?

Cause this guy has some mad skills..... And he's blind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q9ea...elated&search=
Wow CMHyland

I am impressed..great viewing.

madammusic.com
Old 05-15-2007, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman View Post
"One of the greatest guitar players on the planet”, Chet Atkins on Tommy Emmanuel

"Pat Donohue is one of the greatest fingerpickers in the world today", Chet on Pat Donohue

"He plays my tunes better than I ever did, with more flair and command, and has added elements to the arrangements that are beyond anything I ever did. ", Chet on Richard Smith

"Only once in lifetime does something come down the river like that", Chet on Jerry Reed

"He is one of the true geniuses of the guitar", Chet on Lenny Breau

"Doyle is one of the finest fingerpicking guitarists around. I sincerely admire him as a person and as a musician.", Chet on Doyle Dykes

The Tommy quote is overdone. I think it's safe to say that there were a LOT of guitarists Chet admired.
Like the mutual admiration society. There are and have been some some **** good players out there.

The thing I enjoyed most about Tommy when I saw him play. I mean one man playing one instrument and it sounds like a band - the drumming. I think he's a great inspiration for other guitarists.

madammusic.com
Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardism View Post
And why would one need to be better than someone to criticize/critique them?
Obviously you don't need be better than someone to criticize/critique them. But if you admit you are not as good as - or superior to- the person you are criticizing/critiquing, then what does that say about you? They are better than you - and you don't like them. Does that mean you don't like your own playing?

I'm not saying this to defend Tommy E, its more of a question of logic, arguement, reason, etc. Do you see what I'm saying?

Sorry for the rabbit trail.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
With all due respect to Chet Atkins, I don't think he was as good as Tommy on his best day.
Chet was always kind of humble and complimentary,, im not suprised that he heaped praise on the players whose playing he liked
With all respect to Stuart,, Tommy never even came close to Chester B. Atkins in his prime.. not even close to close..HOWEVER, If you are taking about the 1990's you might have a point, Tommy was on the top of his
game and Chet was on the decline,, but historically its no contest.
Tommy would tell you the same thing.

Regards,
Rick

Last edited by rgregg48; 05-15-2007 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:04 AM

I forgot to mention this... Tommy Emmanual as an entertainer has almost no equel..... for someone who is strictly an instrumentalist,, no singing, no dancing, no standup comedy.. Tommy holds an audience better than any
of the other players mentioned here, in my opinion.
Im glad some people found some variety in his concerts..
for me i have been to one Tommy concert five times...
but ive always been entertained. If you have never heard Tommy play with his brother Phil,, WHOA BUDDY, that was just amazing, they have a chemistry
Tommy does not create on his own,, unfortunately, Phil does not come into the States much, prefering to hang out down under.
Rick

Last edited by rgregg48; 05-15-2007 at 07:09 AM.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardism View Post

I'm another one that doesn't enjoy TE. .... . For me, (his playing) it has no heart..

While I understand and accept that folks' tastes are different, I can't imagine how anyone who has seen TE play can feel his playing has no heart. At least for me, his music and performances are the embodiment of heart, feeling, and soul.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell