The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-26-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
I believe the parlor version only comes with a 1 11/16 inch neck. That ruled it out for me.
The fact that it can COME with 1-11/16" is a big reason I'm buying one!
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 08-26-2020, 06:23 AM

I have an OT-22W and love it. Put some monel strings on it, give the strings a little time to break in, and you will love the sound.

I've never played an OT-25, so can't compare the two.
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-75
Rubén Flores Classical
Old 08-26-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
The 2nd OT22 I bought had a ton of issues... it went back. Make sure if you buy the OT22 that Elderly checks it out well before you buy it. By the way Elderly was awesome with how they took care of me on the one that didnt work out.
I had a similar experience, and Elderly went above and beyond to make sure I was satisfied in the end. A real class act, Elderly.

My first experience a year ago with the line was an OT-22W, which as noted had some issues, but I was able to form an impression of the guitar. I didn't spend much time with it, but I don't remember being overly impressed with it.

The replacement I received turned out to be an OT-25 that had been mislabeled as an OT-22 at the factory (and incorrectly invoiced to Elderly at the lower rate, I might add) - this was confirmed by Elderly after I alerted them. So I lucked out and got an OT-25 at a substantial discount.

For the first 6 or 7 months I owned the guitar, I was not especially impressed with it, it was just OK. It was kind of stiff, boxy and unyielding, and it had no bloom or any of that certain je ne sais quoi that makes one love an instrument. I considered selling it for a while, but decided to hang on to it, as a sort of 'deluxe beater' for playing outside, etc.

Then, suddenly, about six months ago something happened... it opened up! I became aware of the sweetening of the tone. A delicacy and subtlety was now revealing itself. Instead of dryness, there was now bloom and complexity. It became a joy to play. Now, when I move from playing my Martin over to the Farida, it doesn't feel, you know, cheap.

My point is, those who've evaluated the OT-22 and OT-25 at Elderly might not have gotten a complete picture. If you compare both models while brand new, the relative difference might not be substantial, leading one to conclude that the up-charge for the all-solid model might not be worthwhile. My suspicion is, if one were to compare mature, broken-in examples of the two models, the difference in relative depth and subtlety may well end up being significant. This is something to keep in mind when choosing between the two models, how they will mature relative to each other.

1984 Rickenbacker 330
1990s Mosrite (Kurokumo) Ventures
2002/2005 Fender Japan '60s Tele [TL-62-66US]
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom
2018 Martin Custom Shop 00-18 slot-head

1963 Fender Bandmaster (blonde blackface)
1965 Ampeg Gemini I
2020 Mojotone tweed Champ kit build

Last edited by beatcomber; 08-26-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:00 AM

Both models have solid Sitka tops that will presumably open up with time. You seem to be implying that the solid back and sides of the OT 25 will also open up in noticeable way.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Both models have solid Sitka tops that will presumably open up with time. You seem to be implying that the solid back and sides of the OT 25 will also open up in noticeable way.
I'm suggesting that could happen, yes. Or the benefits from the opening of the top could be enhanced by it having solid back and sides.

Whether or not that in fact will happen, I cannot say either way.

I'd sure like to compare a well-used OT-22 to my OT-25, just to see what if any difference there is.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom

1965 Ampeg Gemini I

Last edited by beatcomber; 08-26-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 07:09 AM

Well, I just ordered an OT-22. I was going to "splurge" for the all-solid 25, simply because I had the funds (not because I think the performance will be any different), but they did not have a 25 in standard nut width in sunburst, and I wanted sunburst, and am not a fan of "wide"

Old 09-19-2020, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I think you'll be pleased. When Farida/Elderly first released the OT series I bought an OT-25...sent it back. Recently, I purchased an OT-22 (wide) mostly for my wife as a second guitar but I've been "porch picking" with it myself some and I find I really like it. And you won't have to worry about where you play it or any of that stuff. The only thing I'll do to this one is let my luthier tweak it/set it up. Maybe install a UST but not sure right now?
Anyway...congrats! I think you'll enjoy it!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-19-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I think you'll be pleased. When Farida/Elderly first released the OT series I bought an OT-25...sent it back. Recently, I purchased an OT-22 (wide) mostly for my wife as a second guitar but I've been "porch picking" with it myself some and I find I really like it. And you won't have to worry about where you play it or any of that stuff. The only thing I'll do to this one is let my luthier tweak it/set it up. Maybe install a UST but not sure right now?
Anyway...congrats! I think you'll enjoy it!
What made you decide to return the OT-25?
1984 Rickenbacker 330
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom

1965 Ampeg Gemini I
Old 09-19-2020, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
What made you decide to return the OT-25?
It's been quite a while but I decided I didn't particularly care for it. It seemed then that the laminate back and sides models were really well received. So I just didn't pursue it. But this recent OT-22 model was (at least to me) better than then OT-25? I know that makes no sense what-so-ever but it's true. I guess it's just my perception?

Last edited by llew; 09-19-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:07 AM

Quote:
It's been quite a while but I decided I didn't particularly care for it. It seemed then that the laminate back and sides models were really well received. So I just didn't pursue it. But this recent OT-22 model was (at least to me) better than then OT-25? I know that makes no sense what-so-ever but it's true. I guess it's just my perception?
Did you buy the OT-25 when they were new (when they first came out?). Perhaps a few bugs needed working out.... ?

I would have preferred all-solid, altho for no other reason than KNOWING it was all solid... the sound is all that matters, of course. I love the sound of my old deep bowl Ovation, and it's made of plastic lol. It doesn't sound like an all-wood guitar, but it sounds fantastic... I liken it to a baby grand piano actually... (as opposed to sounding "woody")

Old 09-20-2020, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
Did you buy the OT-25 when they were new (when they first came out?). Perhaps a few bugs needed working out.... ?
Yes...it was right after Elderly introduced the line.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if there were some inconsistency in manufacturing, making some instruments noticeably better or worse than others.

I bought my OT-25 new in August '19, and for quite a while I considered selling it. It sounded boxy and had no bloom at all, a real dud. Then, maybe 4-5 months ago, it suddenly opened up and had all sorts of nice tonal colors and bloom. I'm glad I didn't make a premature decision!
1984 Rickenbacker 330
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom

1965 Ampeg Gemini I
Old 09-25-2020, 05:32 AM

OT-22 arrived yesterday.

While I'm obviously in the honeymoon period, I'm 51 and have been playing for 35 years now... I don't really have honeymoon periods anymore. True enough I get a new piece of gear, and am excited about it, but I pretty quickly determine if it's worth keeping (which means at least a number of years) or not. I guess you could say, I don't have the "lust" of youth anymore, at my age/experience level it's more of a ability to see "the marrying kind" instead LOL.

But anyway, IDK if Elderly set this guitar up or not, but the strings were not new, the fretboard is VERY dry, and the guitar was buzzing a little. It had almost no relief. It appears to be a 2018, so I wonder if it's been hanging somewhere "up high" for a few seasons or something.... in any event, a truss rod adjustment fixed the buzz, lemon oil will fix the fretboard, and the strings, while not new (corrosion spots), they haven't been played much, either.

So, how does it sound?
I like it. Alot. Even with the EJ16s on it, which are not "my" strings. But after several rounds of lossening/tightening the strings to make and check the truss rod adjustments, the strings have broken in... and sound quite good. It has a big low end/low-mids presence for a smaller body... that surprised me. There's alot of "body" to the tone. It's not dread bass; it's more like a low-mid thing that makes the guitar punch above it's weight; it sounds bigger than you think it will.

So, the guitar is comfortable, sounds good, has the mid-voicing I have always been after, and plays well. It capos excellently- it might be the only guitar I've ever owned that doesn't have to be tweaked (re-tuned) to be in tune with a capo. I'll try a few different strings on it, but I've always wanted an acoustic that sounded great with dead strings lol... I'm not a primary acoustic player, so those strings only get changed 1-2 times a year. For the price, it can't be beat, even tho it did need a little TLC out-of-the-box.

Now, here's the kicker for me, and a slight digression:

There's "something" about this guitar.... the intangible thing.... I "just like it". Alot. I've played it for only an hour (while adjusting it, then a little bit after), and I feel like, this is going to sound weird, I'm already developing a relationship with it. Maybe alot of that is it's smaller size, it's so comfy... and the neck is comfy, but almost too thin for me... so we aren't talking "the perfect guitar" here, but there's something going on, I just really like it, it feels like I've owned it for years or something.... hard to explain. Maybe it's just the simplicity: even with old EJ16s on it, out of the box, it sounds good, plays good, capos good. It's EASY. And it's smaller/more comfy size: EASY. Maybe that's it. Unlike all the other acoustics that have gone through here over the years - try many different strings, different saddle material, different endpin materials, blah blah blah.... this thing just sounds really good, with old EJ16s on it. Pick it up, play it, and put it back on the wall....
(I still love the tone my old Ovation has: it's like a baby grand piano, it's just kind of difficult to play for long, due to the rounded back and it's size. Plays like a dream too. The Walden is nice, plays well, but the guitar has mellowed over the years, and the cedar top+the mellowing has made it VERY mellow... even with bright strings on it. With dead strings, it sounds pretty...dead.)

Anyway, just FYI for anyone who buys one- mine wasn't perfect out of the box, but a little playing time and a truss rod adjustment made it sizable difference. This of course shouldn't be news to anyone here. I really like it. I think I'll keep it.

Last edited by ruger9; 09-25-2020 at 05:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:34 AM

I recently bought an OT22W from Elderly. Mine was also built in 2018. The person I dealt with said they have a lot in stock. Similar issues with setup. Action too low, frets buzzing. Truss rod helped, but I brought it to my repair guy to do a proper setup. I didn’t want to send it back, because it has a great sound, definitely worth keeping.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
OT-22 arrived yesterday.

While I'm obviously in the honeymoon period, I'm 51 and have been playing for 35 years now... I don't really have honeymoon periods anymore. True enough I get a new piece of gear, and am excited about it, but I pretty quickly determine if it's worth keeping (which means at least a number of years) or not. I guess you could say, I don't have the "lust" of youth anymore, at my age/experience level it's more of a ability to see "the marrying kind" instead LOL.

But anyway, IDK if Elderly set this guitar up or not, but the strings were not new, the fretboard is VERY dry, and the guitar was buzzing a little. It had almost no relief. It appears to be a 2018, so I wonder if it's been hanging somewhere "up high" for a few seasons or something.... in any event, a truss rod adjustment fixed the buzz, lemon oil will fix the fretboard, and the strings, while not new (corrosion spots), they haven't been played much, either.

So, how does it sound?
I like it. Alot. Even with the EJ16s on it, which are not "my" strings. But after several rounds of lossening/tightening the strings to make and check the truss rod adjustments, the strings have broken in... and sound quite good. It has a big low end/low-mids presence for a smaller body... that surprised me. There's alot of "body" to the tone. It's not dread bass; it's more like a low-mid thing that makes the guitar punch above it's weight; it sounds bigger than you think it will.

So, the guitar is comfortable, sounds good, has the mid-voicing I have always been after, and plays well. It capos excellently- it might be the only guitar I've ever owned that doesn't have to be tweaked (re-tuned) to be in tune with a capo. I'll try a few different strings on it, but I've always wanted an acoustic that sounded great with dead strings lol... I'm not a primary acoustic player, so those strings only get changed 1-2 times a year. For the price, it can't be beat, even tho it did need a little TLC out-of-the-box.

Now, here's the kicker for me, and a slight digression:

There's "something" about this guitar.... the intangible thing.... I "just like it". Alot. I've played it for only an hour (while adjusting it, then a little bit after), and I feel like, this is going to sound weird, I'm already developing a relationship with it. Maybe alot of that is it's smaller size, it's so comfy... and the neck is comfy, but almost too thin for me... so we aren't talking "the perfect guitar" here, but there's something going on, I just really like it, it feels like I've owned it for years or something.... hard to explain. Maybe it's just the simplicity: even with old EJ16s on it, out of the box, it sounds good, plays good, capos good. It's EASY. And it's smaller/more comfy size: EASY. Maybe that's it. Unlike all the other acoustics that have gone through here over the years - try many different strings, different saddle material, different endpin materials, blah blah blah.... this thing just sounds really good, with old EJ16s on it. Pick it up, play it, and put it back on the wall....
(I still love the tone my old Ovation has: it's like a baby grand piano, it's just kind of difficult to play for long, due to the rounded back and it's size. Plays like a dream too. The Walden is nice, plays well, but the guitar has mellowed over the years, and the cedar top+the mellowing has made it VERY mellow... even with bright strings on it. With dead strings, it sounds pretty...dead.)

Anyway, just FYI for anyone who buys one- mine wasn't perfect out of the box, but a little playing time and a truss rod adjustment made it sizable difference. This of course shouldn't be news to anyone here. I really like it. I think I'll keep it.
As I mentioned earlier, I bought an "OT-22" from Elderly last year, and what I received was a factory-mislabeled OT-25, so right off the bat I was ahead of the game.

My guitar was, like yours, also manufactured in 2018, so it probably came over on the same boat. I do recall it having a pretty dry fretboard and bridge, which is a simple thing to address.

I like Elderly, they are good folks, but they really shouldn't be promoting how carefully each instrument is inspected/set-up before being sent to customers. My guitar rattled and buzzed and needed some professional attention, which added a little to the cost. Because I had lucked into an all-solid guitar, I wasn't too upset about that. It plays just fine now that my tech ironed out the defects, most of which were due to inconsistent fret heights.

I'm glad to hear that you're bonding with it so quickly! That's a very good sign pointing towards long-term satisfaction. If you're liking it now, just wait until next year, when the top opens up. My Farida is a significantly better-sounding instrument now vs. last summer. These guitars offer very good value, and Elderly is very good about guaranteeing customer satisfaction.
1984 Rickenbacker 330
2008 Hallmark 60 Custom

1965 Ampeg Gemini I

Last edited by beatcomber; 09-25-2020 at 06:48 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion