The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 04:28 PM

Default Acoustic piece on a Taylor 914ce sinker redwood

There is a demonstration video for the new Taylor 914ce sinker redwood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTJVZb9DJAQ

I can't recall the name of this piece. Anyone recognize it?

BTW most demonstration videos I find a bit underwhelming, but this one sounds amazing IMO- a perfectly chosen piece for this guitar.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:28 PM

sounds beautiful but I dont like the asthetics of it.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:40 PM

Loved the guitar and loved the playing. But using a flatpick played from classical position. Oh the heresy!:
Old 07-22-2019, 06:42 PM

Great sounding clip and welcome to the AGF.

I don't know if that is by 'The Acoustic Centre' in Melbourne, Australia - I'm guessing it is because the US spell it 'center'

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 09-11-2021 at 06:02 AM.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
sounds beautiful but I dont like the asthetics of it.
I have a sinker top Taylor and agree with you about the aesthetics of the top in the video. I've seen some with broad tan stripes against a darker background which I'm just not drawn to at all. Curious, what you think of my top in this pic? Its okay to be honest, its not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm happy with it. When I ordered it I specifically requested fine grain without broad stripes and an overall consistent color tone appearance across the top (IMHO fine variations/striations are cool, just not broad stripes). The photos don't have the rez to show the sharp fine grain well and a beautiful amber/golden crystalline structure within the grain across the whole top. The slight darker area running from under the bridge to the bottom edge just over the endpin is my shadow getting in the way a bit. Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6928 (1).jpg (59.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6932.jpg (57.4 KB, 131 views)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop_D View Post

BTW most demonstration videos I find a bit underwhelming, but this one sounds amazing IMO- a perfectly chosen piece for this guitar.
I found the bass to decay too quickly and the string noise, due to player’s technique, to be off-putting and detracted from the sound.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I have a sinker top Taylor and agree with you about the aesthetics of the top in the video. I've seen some with broad tan stripes against a darker background which I'm just not drawn to at all. Curious, what you think of my top in this pic? Its okay to be honest, its not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm happy with it. When I ordered it I specifically requested fine grain without broad stripes and an overall consistent color tone appearance across the top (IMHO fine variations/striations are cool, just not broad stripes). The photos don't have the rez to show the sharp fine grain well and a beautiful amber/golden crystalline structure within the grain across the whole top. The slight darker area running from under the bridge to the bottom edge just over the endpin is my shadow getting in the way a bit. Cheers!
How could someone not like that?? STUNNING!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-23-2019, 07:10 AM

Agreed, gmel555, that top is gorgeous, but I think the one in the video is as well. One of the things I find most aesthetically attractive about sinker redwood tops is the variation in color, even when its as dramatic as is the subject guitar. With sinker, I don't seem to care if there is as much symmetry and color balance as with other tops. Someday I plan to own a sinker redwood top, but it's absolutely a guitar I'd have to play before buying - i'd never buy one otherwise.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 07-23-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
Agreed, gmel555, that top is gorgeous, but I think the one in the video is as well. One of the things I find most aesthetically attractive about sinker redwood tops is the variation in color, even when its as dramatic as is the subject guitar. With sinker, I don't seem to care if there is as much symmetry and color balance as with other tops. Someday I plan to own a sinker redwood top, but it's absolutely a guitar I'd have to play before buying - i'd never buy one otherwise.
Yes Ed, I agree with that, and there are many gorgeous sinker tops. I figured since it was a Presentation model with already enough inlay bling, that it would be best to go with a more "subtle" top as far sinkers go.

BTW with all this talk about appearance, I was still -believe it or not- mostly concerned about tone as it's a Brazilian body, so my expectations were quite high. Frankly, it was touch and go for a while, and there were times I wondered if I should have gone with a spruce top, but I went "all in" with the sinker. It took a good 6-7 months for this guitar to really open up (along with changing the micarata saddle to bone). I'm now extremely happy with it. It has it's own character which has developed more and more and is equally "happy" strummed, flat picked, or fingerpicked. It's not a cannon, but I wasn't looking for one. The tone is balance and rich.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:16 AM

Honestly it looks unique and cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
Old 09-11-2021, 05:20 AM

How has the sinker Brazilian beauty changed?

Has it been opened up more?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion