The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-19-2016, 12:42 PM

Location: Plymouth, Ma in the summer and St. Petersburg, Fl in the winter (paid snowbird)
Default world class Luther

I had the pleasure of visiting a world class classical guitar Luther the other day, Stephen Connors, and was amazed at the level of perfection that goes into making these fine instruments. What was more gratifying was the fact that he was a down to earth type of guy, who’s was willing to explain in as much detail about his process as I was willing to comprehend. Steve told me to bring my guitar which he played, by the way his ability to make a guitar sing is also amazing, and my guitar never sounded so good. But compared to his guitars, which he also played right after mine, the sound that came out of this instrument was at a whole different level, I think I now understand the difference between a student and concert level guitar. Anyway it was a fun adventure and maybe someday I will have the means to own such a great instrument. Oh one more thing, the best part, is I got to play one of Steve’s guitars, I was in second heaven, and didn’t want to leave it behind.

Last edited by Johneg; 02-20-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Vandross? :-)
Old 02-19-2016, 07:30 PM

Stephan Connor
Old 02-20-2016, 06:29 AM

Location: Plymouth, Ma in the summer and St. Petersburg, Fl in the winter (paid snowbird)

Next time I will carefully check the spelling, and contain my excitement.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johneg View Post
Next time I will carefully check the spelling, and contain my excitement.
Sorry for my snarky reply! (his name is mis-spelled quite often)

Connor guitars are really exceptional. I have a good friend that's played a cedar Connor for a few years.....and he's really picky about his guitars. But he's selling it now in order to pay for......his new spruce Connor, ha!
Old 02-22-2016, 03:50 AM

no apology needed,

After my visit, I have a lot of respect for the people that make custom guitars the work, craftsmanship and time that goes into each one is amazing. It is like a little bit of the craftsman heart is placed in each of the guitars they make, they are truly gifted.

If his custom was the one sitting on the bench, I believe it was maple, it was a gorgeous guitar with a unbelievable sound, I didn't dare touch it. He is going to be one very happy person.

Last edited by Johneg; 02-22-2016 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johneg View Post
....It is like a little bit of the craftsman's heart is placed in each of the guitars they make....
Totally agree! I have several guitars made by the great American luthier Manuel Velazquez, now deceased, and I do kind of feel a part of his spirit in each one of them when I play them. Or, could be I'm just a little bit weird.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical