The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-06-2015, 08:08 AM
Anticipation Junkie

To me, any electronics that require holes on the side of the guitar is unacceptable...to me. Even Taylor's ES. I ordered mine sans electronics and installed my own system. Their is the aesthetic reason, but moreover, electronics are an ever-improving accessory and although a wood acoustic guitar will improve with time, for many, it's a long, even life long instrument, so why install a system that requires holes in the wood when so many options exist that don't where the existing hole will be problematic to try and retrofit with a new set of electronics? Of course, most players don't care, but I do. Jmo.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
To me, any electronics that require holes on the side of the guitar is unacceptable...to me. Even Taylor's ES. I ordered mine sans electronics and installed my own system. Their is the aesthetic reason, but moreover, electronics are an ever-improving accessory and although a wood acoustic guitar will improve with time, for many, it's a long, even life long instrument, so why install a system that requires holes in the wood when so many options exist that don't where the existing hole will be problematic to try and retrofit with a new set of electronics? Of course, most players don't care, but I do. Jmo.
I couldn't have said it better myself
Old 12-06-2015, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself Also may I be so bold in saying...I think the guitars manufactures are increasing their bottom line by putting the preinstalled electronics in their guitars. They make more of a markup that way than a non electronic model. I know they don't pay what we would for the same product. BTW I'm all for capitalism. I'm just trying to justify why more guitars come with pickup systems than don't. If a better pickup comes to market ,and you know it will, and the consumer wants it bad enough they will sell their old guitars with that hole in the side and buy new! Just good business for them to cut that hole in the side.

Joe
Old 12-06-2015, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustictone View Post
If a better pickup comes to market ,and you know it will, and the consumer wants it bad enough they will sell their old guitars with that hole in the side and buy new! Just good business for them to cut that hole in the side.

Joe
I don't think manufacturers base their guitar builds on that premise but you're correct that a better-sounding, future system may well prompt the sale of a player's older versions of a brand--it affected me that way! I think they install systems they think are good at that particular time-frame of manufacture, along with availability and consistent, on-time delivery of systems from a manufacturer. I give kudos to Taylor for making their own systems to better integrate with their guitars. The new Expression System 2, I feel, is a real plus for their brand.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-06-2015, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

I think it's more about them cutting out the middle man and increasing profit margin. Taylor did the same with their cases and tuners as well. Today being in business is not easy. Maybe it's more of staying afloat than profit margins. (not singling out only Taylor BTW)
Old 12-06-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I think it's more about them cutting out the middle man and increasing profit margin. Taylor did the same with their cases and tuners as well. Today being in business is not easy. Maybe it's more of staying afloat than profit margins. (not singling out only Taylor BTW)
Yes, and on top of proprietary electronics systems and tuners, premium wood builders are using composite materials for bridges, fretboards, etc.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:18 PM

In Wood & Steel, Taylor has said that a major portion of the dealers get requests (and sales) for guitars with electronics. The dealers would have to stock both with and without, and sit on that stock given relatively few requests for without.

And they also make a bit more margin on the more expensive versions with electronics.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
And let's also mention just how elegantly-done Taylor's electronics are incorporated in their guitars.
I honestly think those knobs sticking out of the upper bout are uglier than a barn-door.

At this point, I have a very strong preference for the Fishman Matrix style of pickup with the hidden soundhole controls. I ordered my Rainsong without a pickup (because I don't like barn doors) and had a K&K pure mini installed.

Only think I dislike about the K&K is you really need to haul a bunch of external boxes around since you don't know how well you will be impedance matched to the house system. If I had to do it again I'd put in a powered system (Fishman)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 12-06-2015, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

The Anthem system (as seen on my Shorty in the pics in the classified section, I know I'm shameless ) the controls are also in the sound hole. But unlike many passive systems the pre amp is in the 1/4 jack and the battery sits inside the guitar. All can be removed if need be with no damage to the guitar. It's an under saddle pickup and a separate microphone. It sounds very natural. You can blend saddle and microphone to your liking. Best of both worlds. No affiliation with lr Baggs. Just my opinion.

Last edited by acoustictone; 12-06-2015 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:45 PM

Just bought a Shorty and really bonding with it so far. For me I would have preferred no electronics at all. I agree it looks antiquated, and the tuner isn't that accurate either. I do really like the guitar so it isn't an issue.
Old 12-21-2015, 07:40 PM

Default Picking among the multitudes

As a relative newcomer to the guitar-buying/collecting world, it's hard to figure out what's worth getting and what's not, and it's made much more difficult by dearth of good neighborhood guitar stores. I just bought a Rainsong with electronics from LA Guitar Sales, even though I originally went in to buy a used Shorty without electronics. I'm not good enough of a player to need the electronics, but it's frankly hard to find a guitar in that quality range without the electronics, at least one stocked in a store you can play. I have been visiting a lot of guitar stores whenever I travel (NY, Philly, Chicago), and it was particularly nice to have Ted spend some time showing me guitars, talking to me, and demonstrating some of the guitars so I can hear them from the other side (and from a better player!). I am delighted with my Rainsong, which I bought mostly for travel.

Martin 00015M Westside Custom (2011)
Eastman E10 OM SS (2014)
Taylor 414CE (2009)
Rainsong H-OM1000NSB (2015)
Seagull S6 (2012)
Old 12-21-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxf339 View Post
I am delighted with my Rainsong, which I bought mostly for travel.
Glad you made the discovery. I see you have a very nice collection of wood guitars as well. Nothing will replace the natural beauty and personality differences found in each wood guitar. Having said that, what you did quickly realize is that you can hear and feel the quality of a quality CF guitar once you try one out. RainSongs are killer guitars!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:34 PM

Quote:
The Anthem system (as seen on my Shorty in the pics in the classified section, I know I'm shameless ) the controls are also in the sound hole. But unlike many passive systems the pre amp is in the 1/4 jack and the battery sits inside the guitar. All can be removed if need be with no damage to the guitar. It's an under saddle pickup and a separate microphone. It sounds very natural. You can blend saddle and microphone to your liking. Best of both worlds. No affiliation with lr Baggs. Just my opinion.
i actually don't think this is correct...dont they have to drill a larger hole at the input?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
And let's also mention just how elegantly-done Taylor's electronics are incorporated in their guitars.
They're elegant, and they sound great, but the knobs aren't very usable, particularly in a live setting. I prefer big ugly knobs that are easy to turn.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber