The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2023, 07:10 AM

Default Godin guitars, what is your opinion please?

What do you think of Godin acoustic guitars? are they usually nice to play? Is the action low or high? I know nothing of the brand, but I came across some videos of a little gray concert guitar and I really liked it. Thanks
Old 04-20-2023, 09:08 AM

I have only passing acquaintance with the current models, but I admire the general thrust of the company as I've experienced it: to produce valid instruments at affordable prices.

Speaking generally, Godin guitars don't have a lot of bling, don't attempt to look like clones of famous designs, and have their own sound. The "their own sound" part is likely the most divergent element. Some people (I'm one) think that sound is attractive and fits the goals of my music. Others are looking for or expecting something different, and tend to summarize the Godin sound as "maybe good for the price."

I'll note that my experience is with models more than a decade old, mostly sold under the Seagull line. In those days they most often had the somewhat unusual recipe of a laminated wild cherry back and side with a cedar top, shorter (Gibson style) scale, and wider, thicker necks which my hand happens to like. Current Seagull models offer other options.

Recently there's been some discussion here and elsewhere about them moving to using epoxy glue to glue in their necks. Guitars as they age sometimes require a neck reset, and epoxy glue will not loosen like traditional glues to allow that. I view it as an unimportant factor because most inexpensive guitars will never get a neck reset as the cost of the skilled labor is more than anyone wants to invest in guitars in Seagull's normal price range anyway. Another factor: I find that Seagull's cedar tops sound great with lighter gauge/lower tension strings which put less strain over the years on the necks.

I've casually played recent Godin guitars "off the rack" that seemed to have good action, but as with most guitars you may want to afford a setup with your playing style and string gauge if you want the best playing experience a guitar can give you. Once again, the cedar tops found on many Godin acoustics don't really need to be driven hard with higher tension strings to get a sweet sound from them, making them a bit easier to play, particularly if you use string vibrato.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-20-2023, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

They are nice sounding/playing guitars. I had a Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro (S&P is part of the Godin family) and still have an A&L Ami parlour. They play well and sound good. Not the most complex sound but for what you pay they are solid instruments.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:30 AM

Default A thought

I bought a shiny-new-but-damaged Seagull Walnut 12. Repaired the minor damage and kept it a while (t was a repair project). Absolutely wonderful, a too-well-hidden secret of a seriously playable instrument. Simple, honest, sturdy, comfortable to play.

My opinion of Godin in general and the Seagull line in particular: High value, good, honest instruments. Lifetime instruments.

Last edited by phavriluk; 04-20-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Can't speak to the acoustics per se, but I became a Godinista when I needed a three voice electric when I was in a party band. I needed to play electric, mimic an acoustic and drive a synth. I thought it was a terrific instrument so when I subsequently was in the market for a feedback resistant acoustic/electric, I looked at the A6 Ultra because I'd heard it had the same neck as my LGX-SA. It turned out to be another terrific guitar. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Godin offering.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:58 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I have a Seagull (made by Godin). Well made guitar.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-20-2023, 10:15 AM

my only experience is a King Pin II archtop with P90s

It's a fun little 16 incher to play and sounds good too.

I use it when I pretend to play jazz!!!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-20-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandJoni View Post
What do you think of Godin acoustic guitars?
I played an all-mahogany Fairmount and thought it was pretty stellar, especially at the price point. The "Gibson" nut width felt perfect. My only gripe is the pickguard shape. I also love their hollow and semi-hollowbody electrics; I currently own a Kingpin P90.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandJoni View Post
Is the action low or high?

This will vary by model, humidity, length of time on display, etc., but the out-of-the-box setup on the one I played was excellent; similar to a Taylor. But any guitar can be improved by a personal set-up.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I've had a number of Godins -- Art and Lutherie Legacy 6 and 12 strings, S&P Woodland Pro Folk, Godin 5th Avenue.

What I like about them: reasonable price, very playable, great neck profile and string spacing, high quality, consistent construction, the R&D that has gone into them that the average player may not appreciate,their appearance, the fact that they're made in Canada, and their durability (they make guitars that you can leave out on a stand without worrying too much about humididty).

But it's significant, I guess, that I don't own a Godin product right now. The only reason I don't, and this is entirely subjective, is that I couldn't connect with their tone. So, I would say that if you like the way a Godin guitar sounds, you absolutely can't go wrong.

I'm sure someone in this thread will raise the fact that the necks are epoxied to the body as a reason to stay away from Godin. I personally don't think this should be a concern. Their neck design is unique, which means that the need for a neck reset is unlikely. And if, by some chance you need a neck reset in 10-15 years, you will be able to keep it for playing slide, and buy another inexpensive Godin.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:53 AM

Godin makes many brands : the La Patrie nylons and three folks series Art & Lutherie,
Simon & Patrick and Seagull. They also make the Godin 5th Avenue, an archtop.

I love my 5th Avenue (I guess they do not sell the acoustic only model anymore).

I love m’y Seagull Performer besides my Gibson L-OO.

I read many good comments about all their brands.

Their electronics is honest.

Unfortunately, I had to replace the keys after a few years.

But they remain good acoustics for the buck.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:12 PM

I am assuming the OP is looking at their Rialto Jr model. I have a recent Seagull Entourage Grand that seems to be the predecessor of the Rialto. 0 size, spruce top - quite similar, but some differences. My Seagull has 14 frets to the body, different electronics, finish and rosewood finger board. That said this size Godin/Seagull is a pleasure to play and sounds good for the price point. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Rialto if you like the look.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:26 PM

Default Godin guitars, what is your opinion please?

I used to recommend the Seagull acoustics to my students all the time...

One of my former students had a Godin Triumph electric that played/sounded like a guitar five times the price...

I own two Godin archtops, an all-acoustic 5th Avenue and a CW II single-cut with two P-90's - the latter of which was used on tour by Tony Bennett's guitarist for a number of years...

Many if not most companies in this price range devote their production costs to upscale-looking bling and/or overly-thick high-gloss finishes...

Godin channels their bucks into better materials and QC...

If you don't own one, you should...
Old 04-20-2023, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
Godin makes many brands : the La Patrie nylons and three folks series Art & Lutherie,
You can add Norman guitars to their list of brands.
Old 04-20-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Christo View Post
I played an all-mahogany Fairmount and thought it was pretty stellar, especially at the price point. The "Gibson" nut width felt perfect. My only gripe is the pickguard shape. I also love their hollow and semi-hollowbody electrics; I currently own a Kingpin P90.

This will vary by model, humidity, length of time on display, etc., but the out-of-the-box setup on the one I played was excellent; similar to a Taylor. But any guitar can be improved by a personal set-up.
Interesting, I had 4 taylors for some time and I thought that in each of them the set up was terrible - Martin on the other hand felt perfect each time
Old 04-20-2023, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I am comparing the Rialto Jr to the Art and Lutherie Tennesee Red Roadhouse, and the Roadhouse doesn't sound so great in comparison, for me at least. Sound more tinny and thin and constant shrill notes, while the Rialto sounds more balanced and "full". Is it just me?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
buy, godin, review, suggestion