The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

...........useless post, LOL

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 11-05-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:03 PM

Barrios was one of the early artists to record, but definitely not the first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_c...tar_recordings
Old 11-06-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Niall View Post
nylon string guitars are going to get popular, so buy up.
I sure hope you are wrong..i would hate to see the steel string crowd come
over, just because they have run out of guitars to obsess over..
here, have a ukelele..

Rick
Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 PM

Nylon string guitars may become more popular overall but I think some of that is in the area of crossover guitars for a different sound and not so much as the Classical guitars. Not one of my friends who play have even tried my Classical and it's a pretty decent guitar. They like the ring, the brightness and volumn of steel strings and there's no budging. I spent my younger years on a nylon string Martin so the sound was familar to me when I went out to pick a new guitar and start playing again. I also intend to play a steel string guitar but with no intention of giving up my Classical, they are just different, both in wonderful ways.

But I expected to get a steel string guitar at first and sat in the guitar store trying one after another until I noticed a Taylor nylon string guitar and playing it got me excited. So I tried more nylon, going back and forth between them and steel string guitars.

I had hoped to spend under $500 but as I played the costs kept climbing until I ended up spending 2K on a Classical that just felt and sounded wonderful.

In the months that have followed I've grown out the nails and worked with that for awhile and I guess I just really didn't like what I was hearing and eventually cut them as short as possible and then reinvented the way my fingers plucked the strings. It's a personal thing for me as I don't intend to be performing publicly but just with friends. I tried more than a few stringsets to get the final sound I loved even more than with the ones that came on the guitar.

But when it comes to sound, it's very different from one person to the next as to what is good. I worked for a studio that recorded a lot of albums and I'd sit in there during the mixes and listen to the producer vs head engineer vs lead recording artist vs band and studio musicians as to what made something sound good. To my ears everything sounded good at that level but to them there were great differences which I could somewhat hear but generally liked everything differently.

I've come to the conclusion that every guitar sounds different, every person makes that guitar sound even more different, and set up plus strings are also a great variable. I've also noticed since I live in the NW that rainy days can make my guitar sound different than dry days when the humidity is down, this happens less as I've improved and my guitar seems to have opened up some, plus settling on what strings I like, everything is more stable. It's personal and it's complicated but in the end it's what makes the artist happy and from that position is where they start to perform. I think you go searching for a sound that's in your heart or one that resonates there and then strive to extract that from the instrument and your talent.

Last edited by JannieA; 11-15-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:02 AM

Exclamation

Jeeze, I didn't mean to kill a thread.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:22 AM

I have a couple of friends who play electrics, and they both play crossover nylons in acoustic jams. As alluded to above, I think the rise in nylon crossover use will drive the market up on interesting nylon string guitars. Not necessarily classicals though. The old Martin nylons, which I consider "folk guitars", are already rising in value. Good nylons are already high enough - aside from the vintage stuff, look at Lester DeVoe and some of his contemporaries.

Last edited by H165; 11-18-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:12 PM

Perhaps he's seeing the popularity of Zac Brown >
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 11-22-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JannieA View Post
. . . I've come to the conclusion that every guitar sounds different, every person makes that guitar sound even more different, and set up plus strings are also a great variable. . . . .

. . . . It's personal and it's complicated but in the end it's what makes the artist happy and from that position is where they start to perform. I think you go searching for a sound that's in your heart or one that resonates there and then strive to extract that from the instrument and your talent.

I think this sums up guitars and guitar playing as succinctly as one could wish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical