The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-17-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsLover View Post
Savarez light tension = Daddario normal tension, IHOP
So it's has nothing to do with a particular string, working well with cedar tops. I'm sure there is no "magic" combo. But maybe a rule of thumb kind of thing
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 05-17-2014, 10:42 AM

I switch things around
Luthier .. Savarez .. La bella... Different combos
Basses trebles and G's
Adds variety
If the guitar you are playing is balanced tonally all strings add different character
Even on my classical I switched parts of sets around
Titanyl... Rectified ... Polymer .. Nylon

The right set or combination is generally through experiment and what reacts best to your touch and ears
And even this may change

Pro artes are a good standard to other strings
Not my favourite but they will always do..
Old 05-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Now I'm really confused. I have Alvarez Blue high tension on my guitar cause that's the way the builder thought would work best using a classical guitar to play standard tuning. I'm a beginner and these strings certainly don't hurt my fingers. Does that mean medium tension would be even softer or is it just the "brightness" level I'm looking at. My ukulele strings are lots harder on the fingers (fluorocarbons) but I've never noticed a tension level.

I guess I need to take Strings 101.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:06 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_ View Post
So it's has nothing to do with a particular string, working well with cedar tops. I'm sure there is no "magic" combo. But maybe a rule of thumb kind of thing
It is just my likeness. I like Savarez bass on the Cedar top (which has mellow sound -Savarez strings give it more bass ); Daddrio med tension strings give me more "bright tones". That is the my formular for my Cedar top guitar...
Old 05-17-2014, 04:30 PM

I am a "heavy" player with an overly strong thumb.

I have played steel string for years..

I play D'Addario "normal". They sound great and have a reasonable lifespan.
I have tried them all including Savarez red card all would including the first string.. I played those for 20 years until they became hard to find and I discovered D'Addario "normal"

The price is right, they are consistent and you can get them anywhere including on line. And from the "normal" you can decide if you need to go up or down.

Even as a hard hitting steel string finger picker.. after 50 years.. D'Addario normal are my choice.

Believe me , I have tried them all..
for tone.. D'Addario
Longevity, D'Addario
Consistency.. D'Addario
Affordability.. D'Addario
Availability.. D'Addario

I used them on my 1961 Ramirez 1A flamenco all my classicals and now my Cervantes Flamenco..

The advice is simple..
try basic and go out from there..
if you start on the fringes.. you have no where to go as a baseline

My neighbor is a touring classical guitarist, recording artist, 40 year Segovia student ( and friend) retired professor of classical guitar at a prestigious California university.

His recommendation... D'Addario normals and explore from there.

Some of the string sets recommended are expensive... and unnecessary.

Have fun.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:10 PM

The Nylon String market has become very dynamic with all the new synthetics being produced. Here is what we have found over the years.

The Flamenco string is the Savarez Pink Card high tension 520R.
It's the 520 PI set that has wound 3rd, 2nd and first. You can also get the set with plain 1st or plain 1st and 2nd. These wound treble strings are now considered old fashioned and a bit Fuddy Duddy. I still use them on my Ramirez Flamencos though.

Perhaps the most consistant Classical strings are D'Addario. The rap on them in the past has been 'Great strings, but the trebles are a little boring. Still John Williams uses a polished set of these. The D'addario regular Nylon sets do not color the sound of the guitar.

As far as synthetics go, meaning another synthetic besides Nylon, write a book. We beta tested the D'addario Titanium trebles long ago. They are brighter and puncher. Their Carbon sets give you a 2nd Brown colored third string. One of my Flamenco teacher friends loved them as they do last three times longer.
The Savarez 500AJ Alliance Corums are the string to hot-rod youe guitar. The trebles feel a bit thinner than Nylon which may bother some players. Cervantes does not like them on his Cedar topped guitars. On a Cedar top perhaps too powerful even a bit metallic. The New Crystal sets feature normal Nylon Trebles with Corum basses.

So for a Flamenco try Savarez 520R. Your guitar is a little dead try Savarez Corums. The Taylor guitars like them too.

Lastly, what do the pros use. Everything. The Romero family has used a custom set we put together. It is the basses from Augustine Blues paired with the trebles from the Savarez 520J super high tension's. The "Romero Set"
-DeForest
Old 05-17-2014, 06:30 PM

Well thanks for the last few responses, good insight. I'm guna order some normals, go from there... At least I know what I'm looking at now
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 05-17-2014, 06:38 PM

I applaud your decision..

It's only a few bucks and you'll know if they work for you.

If they don't, I'll send you a "hard" set.. no charge.. gratis.. no postage,, nuthin'

Freebie.

Let me know.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Does that mean medium tension would be even softer or is it just the "brightness" level I'm looking
Tensions vary
There seems to be no general standard
For instance the savarez red card 520 are labelled high tension
But feel more medium tension
Hannabach strings generally carry more tension than others
Also how the string is tied at the block can alter tension
Scale length of the guitar can also affect things
Most guitars come in at 650mm
Ramirez for instance at 656 mm
My Conde is 666mm ( beast of a guitar :-)
Old 05-18-2014, 12:28 AM

My current favorites are Oasis for my new guitar. Daddario basses i didnt like on this one but i used them on my previous guitar with a combination of Savarez and Augustine trebles. The problem with Daddarios is that the basses dont last very long and their coated basses squeak like crazy.

Another thing is that Different Tension strings of the same brand and type could have different sound.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:03 AM

Good luck with finding the right strings ... Endless possibilities
Old 05-20-2014, 06:11 AM

Well my guitar showed up.. Had regular pro arte (blue hard) strings. Don't really seem too hard to me, so I'm assuming the mediums will be short lived. It's the very/extra hard really that much harder? I hope so, not that these are unbearable... They must be a little bit older as you can see fret marks in the basses and look a little tarnished. I also bought a set of EXP's (think they were very hard or something) just guna take some getting used to I presume.
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 05-30-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_ View Post
Well my guitar showed up.. Had regular pro arte (blue hard) strings. Don't really seem too hard to me, so I'm assuming the mediums will be short lived. It's the very/extra hard really that much harder? I hope so, not that these are unbearable... They must be a little bit older as you can see fret marks in the basses and look a little tarnished. I also bought a set of EXP's (think they were very hard or something) just guna take some getting used to I presume.
Hard/extra hard will be noticably harder... but nothing is going to feel as stiff as a steel string.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:03 PM

Default EJ 49's ?

Any thoughts on the D'Addario EJ 49's which I think have black trebles?

And what model number was it that has the green G string?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical