The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2019, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcran View Post
I'm looking for a good d18!
They're out there...shouldn't have to look too hard?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-30-2019, 08:35 AM

I play all styles of music and used to try to keep a guitar for every purpose. I found myself picking up a guitar to play and never switching when I changed from flatpicking to fingerstyle, etc. I also realized that my ear appreciates the low end growl of a good dread. Eventually I decided that I would try and stick with dreads only for everything. There is a trade off. The smaller bodies with light gauge strings help with ease of playability, but if I keep playing enough and don’t let my fingers get out of shape then it’s no problem. I am plenty tall enough that the dread is very comfortable for me. It’s a win for me. I am on a search for a great D18 too.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 01-30-2019, 09:00 AM

I never thought about it for the first 49 years or so that I played guitar - I’m primarily a finger-picker, sometimes do a little strumming, and totally stink at flat-picking in general. I really like short-scale, smaller bodied guitars. I love to play on the couch. And my voice, (such as it is), isn’t particularly strong - so a quieter guitar is better for me overall.

Then, a few months ago, I decided I needed to have a dread, ... just because. So now I do. And then, on impulse, I bought a Grand Auditorium, which is actually louder than my dread, and is wider across the lower bout. Both are killer loud when strummed, and the latter, particularly, has a very beautiful sound. (Maybe I need to bite the bullet and put medium guage strings back on the dread to really bring out its voicer... which will probably make me really hate it.)

But I’ve gotten it out of my system. I won’t be buying another, and may sell the dread. I guess sometimes you need to try something before you realize it’s not for you.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
If I didn’t have shoulder issues, I might have one.

Best,
Jayne
This is so true for many of us.
In the summer, I can get away with playing a dread. But winter aggravates my old worn out shoulders something fierce! ( Probably not far from needing surgery.)
That is why I bought a 00.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:05 AM

Depends. Electric guitarists say you NEED a Telecaster if you ever want to get gigs. Bassists claim that P basses will not only get you gigs, but it's the ONLY bass that ever works in "the mix". Acoustic guys say to own an authentic D-18 or D-28. No, don't show up with some boutique copy or you'll be shunned at the local exclusive bluegrass jam. You'd think I'm exaggerating, but I have heard many make these claims while being serious.

Some of my favorite guitarists play a DN. Others might not even own a DN. Off the top of my head, does Andy McKee own one? Whilest certain members of this forum might claim he's not a real musician because he uses open tunings, capos, and does that pesky percussion. He continues to tour and put out albums, so he seems to be doing something right, even if it involves a capo.

I have 2 DNs. I enjoy them. I can see how they might be uncomfortable. I could also see myself getting a D-18 type and/or a jangly slope shoulder.

I could easily get by with just an OM. Similar tone to the DN, more fingerstyle friendly than the average DN, more comfortable.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Depends. Electric guitarists say you NEED a Telecaster if you ever want to get gigs. Bassists claim that P basses will not only get you gigs, but it's the ONLY bass that ever works in "the mix". Acoustic guys say to own an authentic D-18 or D-28. No, don't show up with some boutique copy or you'll be shunned at the local exclusive bluegrass jam. You'd think I'm exaggerating, but I have heard many make these claims while being serious.

Some of my favorite guitarists play a DN. Others might not even own a DN. Off the top of my head, does Andy McKee own one? Whilest certain members of this forum might claim he's not a real musician because he uses open tunings, capos, and does that pesky percussion. He continues to tour and put out albums, so he seems to be doing something right, even if it involves a capo.

I have 2 DNs. I enjoy them. I can see how they might be uncomfortable. I could also see myself getting a D-18 type and/or a jangly slope shoulder.

I could easily get by with just an OM. Similar tone to the DN, more fingerstyle friendly than the average DN, more comfortable.
This kinda stuff drives me nuts. To insist on only one way to go... It is goofy.

I am no great guitar player, so I don't count for much. But...

I have mentioned a neighbor of mine. Greg Koch, another guitar player. Now I wonder if he showed up at a jam with a guitar other than what is dictated as acceptable, if they would let him play?

It is the player, folks.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 AM

Yes. At least one good dread. Especially if one intends to jam unplugged with mandolins, banjos, fiddles, et cetera.

In a two-guitar duet, if player #1 is using a dread, player #2 better have one as well. Almost any other guitar that teams up with a dreadnaught is going to sound a bit thin. That's just reality.

If you're playing alone on your couch, a dread is overkill. Otherwise....
Old 01-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

If Greg showed up they all stop playing and just listen to him! As least that's what I'd do?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-30-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
This kinda stuff drives me nuts. To insist on only one way to go... It is goofy.

I am no great guitar player, so I don't count for much. But...

I have mentioned a neighbor of mine. Greg Koch, another guitar player. Now I wonder if he showed up at a jam with a guitar other than what is dictated as acceptable, if they would let him play?

It is the player, folks.
I'm not a trained psychologist or psychiatrist. Musicians are an interesting and often dysfunctional bunch. Some love to think they have power over everyone and do this by being super picky with who they let audition. They fire people. Why? Because they can't do this in real life.

Bands that don't give me the time of day "probably" aren't nearly as good as they think they are. In real life, they're probably not in a position to hire or fire workers.

If Greg Koch showed up to a local jam, I'd quickly pack up my gear and watch. No need to be shown how much of a hack I am.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Everyone should have at leaset one good Dread?
Unless they go with a 17" lower bout jumbo.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 01-30-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
They are not the best "sitting" guitar for anybody, IMO.
Wrong...I have lower back issues that are mitigated by the better posture I have when playing a dread. I tend to crouch over my smaller guitars.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I'm having a hard time imagining Greg Koch showing up for a jam with anything other than a telecaster. (Especially now that Fender sponsors him.)
Old 01-30-2019, 09:48 AM

Due to comfort issues I had all but given up on dreads. Then Takamine announced the addition of this great looking slot-head, 12 fret, slope shouldered dread. I am going to have to try one of those if they make it to a store nearby. It looks like it would be easier to play and loud too!

https://www.esptakamine.com/products...8042-tt-series

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Last edited by Nyghthawk; 01-30-2019 at 11:41 AM. Reason: added link
Old 01-30-2019, 09:54 AM

IMHO, a good dread is about as versatile a guitar as you can find. Having said that, smaller guys will have problems with one, and women can have “anatomical conflicts” with the wide waist.

No there are no guitar police, so you don’t have to own one. I have two, my D-28 and my Standel/Harptone E6N. They sound very different from each other.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 AM

If you record, especially strummy stuff, you should also have a "bad" dread, one that doesn't have that boom in the bottom end. Mine's a 70's Ibanez Lawsuit Guild copy, but real Guilds are great, too, and there are lots of bargain-priced lovely Japanese 70's and 80's dreads out there that will do the job.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion