The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2019, 12:54 PM

I bet Trigger sounded much much better new than it does today. I've seen videos of him playing it on his bus and the thing sounds terrible, little to no volume or tone.
Old 01-31-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
Serious question for those who clean/polish their guitars frequently or every time after you play it. Why? Is there an actual benefit to the guitar in doing this?
The actual benefit is to the player. Being a rhythm doctor you should know that cleaning and polishing your guitars makes them hygienically clean.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlopeD View Post
I bet Trigger sounded much much better new than it does today. I've seen videos of him playing it on his bus and the thing sounds terrible, little to no volume or tone.
Thank you! I just don't get the fetishizing of that junk guitar. It sounds terrible, and, for me, Willie's guitar playing in live performances never seems more than indulgent noodling.

I'm more or less a fan, by the way: at least of Willie on recordings: I've got a handful. But I've seen him live three times, and came away disappointed all three times.

As to the OP's initial post: well, I'll just echo what many have posted: I respect my instruments but play them pretty much anywhere without anxiety. The care extends to watching humidity and wiping them down with a clean t-shirt--and trying hard not to bang them into things.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:55 PM

Playing. With that said, I traded my 2013 Epiphone Masterbilt in last December. It looked just the same as when I bought it. you don't have to trash a guitar to play it.

Willie's guitar playing is indulgent noodling? Trigger is "that junk guitar?" Wow. I have seen him half a dozen times. He always sounds great. Why did you go see him the third time? Just wow.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-31-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
OK, so you might want to protect your investment, but COME ON, guitars are for playing, not just for preserving as works of art! The more beat up it is, the more character it has. Ever seen Willie's guitar? He still plays pretty well.

Of course we need to take care of our stuff, but where is the dividing line between preserving and playing? Is there such a thing as a "working guitar" that you are willing to take on the road and your best guitar that you just want to protect?

Rick
The answer to your title question is----- Yes

Some people actually invest in guitars as works of art and want to preserve them....

Most invest in them to play, both perspectives are valid.

For me they are to play ....BUT the better you care for your tools the better the tools work for you..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-31-2019, 05:24 PM

I'm squarely in the "it's not an either/or situation camp.

Actually, the OP's question seemed more like a comment intended to find a justification for his own opinions.

As for me, I'm not a collector and own no guitars that I would be too worried about to take out. Regardless, I might opt to take my good guitar as opposed to my better guitar at some venues or conditions. Playing outdoors with a threat of rain, anyone?

They all get a simple wipe down and inspection after use them. I take care of them. Why not? I never ride 'em like I stole 'em, to borrow a phrase from the motorcycle squid community. I expect a bit of normal wear and the possibility of an inadvertent ding or scratch, but I don't ascribe any increase in character as a result.

As for Willie: Just like all of us, he can play any guitar he wants. :-) I don't think (but I don't know, either) that he carelessly banged around his guitar to give it character. I read that he just likes that guitar...a lot...and has played the hell out of it as a result, as opposed to being indifferent about it's care.

PS: I ride the hell out of my motorcycle, but I take care of it, too. :-D
Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 PM

I was reading through this thread this morning (and nearly weighed in with a post myself), and as luck would have it, my D-18 got its first noticeable ding tonight. I guess that’s what I get for playing my guitar in the same room my two-year-old is playing with non-plush toys.

It is what it is, and now my D-18 joins all my other guitars in having at least one noticeable ding, scuff, and/or scratch. I could meticulously care for my guitars and only ever play them in the safety of my bedroom when the kids are asleep, or I can take the risk of superficial damage by playing the guitars around the kiddos and sharing my guitar hobby and love of music with them.

I choose the latter. In fact, I’ll often let the kids — each under seven — take some strums themselves, whether out in front when I’m holding the guitar, or letting them sit behind a giant dreadnought and reach their little hands around. I’m not afraid to let the kiddos play my Fairbanks a little bit!

All that said, I do care for my guitars, as I’d like to pass them on in good condition to my kids someday — with whatever dings they help put there in the meantime.

Last edited by ataylor; 01-31-2019 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I was reading through this thread this morning (and nearly weighed in with a post myself), and as luck would have it, my D-18 got its first noticeable ding tonight. I guess that’s what I get for playing my guitar in the same room my two-year-old is playing with non-plush toys.

It is what it is, and now my D-18 joins all my other guitars in having at least one noticeable ding, scuff, and/or scratch. I could meticulously care for my guitars and only ever play them in the safety of my bedroom when the kids are asleep, or I can take the risk of superficial damage by playing the guitars around the kiddos and sharing my guitar hobby and love of music with them.

I choose the latter. In fact, I’ll often let the kids — each under seven — take some strums themselves, whether out in front when I’m holding the guitar, or letting them sit behind a giant dreadnought and reach their little hands around. I’m not afraid to let the kiddos play my Fairbanks a little bit!

All that said, I do care for my guitars, as I’d like to pass them on in good condition to my kids someday — with whatever dings they help put there in the meantime.
Nice!
Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick123 View Post
OK, so you might want to protect your investment, but COME ON, guitars are for playing, not just for preserving as works of art! The more beat up it is, the more character it has. Ever seen Willie's guitar? He still plays pretty well.

Of course we need to take care of our stuff, but where is the dividing line between preserving and playing? Is there such a thing as a "working guitar" that you are willing to take on the road and your best guitar that you just want to protect?

Rick
We play them and if they are taken care of they will be here for generations.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:39 PM

I preserve the playability, without proving what fazool said

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion