The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-23-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
It does nothing for me however I imagine Taylor Swift will be holding one on stage soon.
That might be the first one they sell in Seafoam Green.

Last edited by jparis51; 01-23-2019 at 05:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:32 AM

from what i see, its $2,000- ill get my kicks playing one at GC when it gets there, and move on
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 01-24-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
from what i see, its $2,000- ill get my kicks playing one at GC when it gets there, and move on
I’m not sure why I see so many people surprised by the $2k price on these. Basically the same as the T5, a US made hybrid guitar. It’s also the first offering in what they are calling a new line. I’m certain they will create less expensive models of these in the future.

It’s also interesting to see the reaction to these as “that’s an ugly telecaster!” I think Fender is almost doing the guitar a disservice by designing it to look like a Tele, when it inherently isn’t a Tele at all, it’s just shaped like one. I think the perception would be a lot different if this guitar was shaped like a cutaway solid bodied acoustic and with a different (3 per side) headstock on it. But then it would look like a Les Paul, and we can’t have that now, can we?

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
This is not a new idea, already done by Fender and many others. Also saying that a simple tone knob takes you from a "Spruce/RW Dreadnaught to a a Spruce/OM" is ridiculous market-speak.

I'll take the Godin A6 Ultra all day long vs this (IMO) rather ugly looking thing.
Hi Roy,
Watch the Atherton's video, you might change your opinion. That dude shows you what this thing can do. Even if it's not your cup of tea, it's pretty impressive.

As we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I kinda' think it looks cool, but then I'm a Tele owner.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-24-2019, 08:57 AM

I used to use an earlier version of a hybrid Fender had out for awhile. It actually could be mistaken for a Tele at first glance until you noticed the pickup configuration. It was a fun little guitar and the acoustic modeling sounded better than either T5 I'd owned previously. As an import it was in the sub 1K price range too. They are long discontinued, but pop up on ebay occasionally for a few Benjamins.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
As we all know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I kinda' think it looks cool, but then I'm a Tele owner.
I'm a Tele owner that feels the same. I think the Tele shape, besides being iconic, is just the most utilitarian and right shape for an electric (or hybrid). I like Strats too but I wouldn't have wanted that for this guitar. IMO it looks better than the A6 Ultra, although that's a Tele shape too. I never liked the chrome humbucker cover on the Godin but that's just me.

I love the way the spruce and mahogany look against each other on the Acoustasonic in natural. The sunburst looks nice but the black one looks like a giant pickguard to me. I won't even mention the green or gray.

Last edited by jparis51; 01-24-2019 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:21 AM

Wow.. that Anderton's video with Danish Pete has changed my impression of this thing a lot.

What an incredible demo.

The weird thing to me is this is mostly Fishman digital trickery. That part is kind of weird.

I met a bunch of the Fishman team about a year and a half ago and they were demoing the Aura and some of their digital products.. they've got a bunch of brilliant designers & engineers there.

The thing that bugs me about this stuff somewhat is the complexity and difficulty in repairing it.

My normal Tele is dead simple, I can repair anything electronic on it with ease. This thing is totally dead in the water if Fender discontinues it and anything breaks. You might not find anything to fit in the cavity, it might sound terrible with different electronics/preamp, and it doesn't sound like it's anything great acoustically. It's got a Lithium Ion battery pack and USB charger on it too which again would take some getting used to. That battery is eventually going to die and need to be replaced, hopefully it is not something weird.

If the parts don't stay available like a regular Tele/Strat the $2000 might be hard to swallow down the road if it doesn't stay supported.

The other thing with this.. it's got a USB jack. I am curious if it can take software updates and might get some different sound options further down the road.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninma View Post
Wow.. that Anderton's video with Danish Pete has changed my impression of this thing a lot.

What an incredible demo.

The weird thing to me is this is mostly Fishman digital trickery. That part is kind of weird.

I met a bunch of the Fishman team about a year and a half ago and they were demoing the Aura and some of their digital products.. they've got a bunch of brilliant designers & engineers there.

The thing that bugs me about this stuff somewhat is the complexity and difficulty in repairing it.

My normal Tele is dead simple, I can repair anything electronic on it with ease. This thing is totally dead in the water if Fender discontinues it and anything breaks. You might not find anything to fit in the cavity, it might sound terrible with different electronics/preamp, and it doesn't sound like it's anything great acoustically. It's got a Lithium Ion battery pack and USB charger on it too which again would take some getting used to. That battery is eventually going to die and need to be replaced, hopefully it is not something weird.

If the parts don't stay available like a regular Tele/Strat the $2000 might be hard to swallow down the road if it doesn't stay supported.

The other thing with this.. it's got a USB jack. I am curious if it can take software updates and might get some different sound options further down the road.
You make a good point about the electronics, should this ever be discontinued. I personally love hybrids and had an Epi 339 with mag pickup mounted at end of fingerboard. That guitar is no longer made, and the preamp was shot, Epiphone eventually sent another one THAT was cut out of another guitar!
I did sell that guitar, not wanting to deal with that again.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:54 PM

Was checking out more NAMM coverage and came across this video.... check out these tops. 29 seconds into the video:
Old 01-24-2019, 01:59 PM

Wow, the "custom" tops (don't know what else to call them) look very nice. I wonder what the upcharge will be...
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 01-24-2019, 02:46 PM

Default Anyone stoked about the new Fender Acoustasonic

I checked out the video and it seems pretty cool...
Old 01-24-2019, 02:58 PM

Yes. I would love a guitar that gives me an option for a direct input in the PA with a very usable acoustic tone and some electric tones at hand for when I could use them. And I really like the look of these.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:04 PM

I can understand the intrigue as an alternative to the Taylor T5 but really I think that a Strat set at neck/mid pickup position set up through a tube amp with a clean tone and a dash of reverb is pretty much the best clean tone you can get from a Fender IMHO. Effects can make anything sound good and from what I can see that’s more of a hybrid that would have more of a jazzy tone, not a full flat top steel string tone.

Last edited by Neil K Walk; 01-24-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Wow, the "custom" tops (don't know what else to call them) look very nice. I wonder what the upcharge will be...
I am hoping that it's not that much more... the Player series strat has a "plus top" version, which has a beautiful flame maple cap. Those are only about $25 more than the normal versions.

Also, at the risk of getting into electric tonewood debate, I think the tops on these acoustasonic telecasters are pretty thick?.... so, are the exotic wood tops in the video only for looks? I's assume so, especially with all of the modeling going into the fishman stuff.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:44 PM

Seems like a very flexible tool and fun to use for the right stuff or just to mess with.
I like it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars