The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-22-2019, 10:20 AM

Oooh, it's kinda ugly. I like it.

This will really come down to "how good are the electronics?" As a big telecaster fan, I'll be trying one, for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-22-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

I think it looks kind of cool. Go figure. If it sounds more like a natural acoustic when amplified than the Taylor T5, color me a fan. I never liked the T5. Jack of all trades master of none.

I expect the Acoustasonic Tele will also have some compromises. But I kinda like it and I hope it lives up to its promise.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-22-2019, 11:07 AM

Haven't played the T5/T5z but I've heard them Demoed by Mark Seal from Taylor.. pretty cool.

If I was in the market for something like this I'd want to try them to see how they sound/respond.

But aesthetically the flat colored top on these Fenders looks cheap for a $2000 guitar. I would be a lot more likely to like the looks if they came up with a nicer looking finish.

Some of the T5z models are in this same $1800-2000 price range to my eye they look a lot more like a $2000 guitar.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:19 AM

The boys at Anderton's(the Captain and Danish Pete) just released their review on this new Fender. Worth watching if your interested in the guitar. Someone said it earlier in the thread, this guitar is not for the dyed in the wool acoustic mavens. It's just a cool little tool to have in the tool box. Also, a factoid that the boys share is the designer is the same cat that did the Taylor T5 series. He now works for Fender. I love it. Sign me up.
Check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpvMDSad19I

Last edited by Chickee; 01-22-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:08 PM

I think its pretty cool...I'm not a good enough guitar player to take advantage of it.. But it's an interesting guitar!
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 01-22-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Looks like Fender's answer to Taylor's T5 series. It even has the five-way switch and two knobs. Makes sense from that perspective. Kinda cool they could do it and keep a Fender vibe about it.
This is what I was thinking and the Taylor T5 series is really just an iteration on what Godin and Gibson we're doing with semi-hollow bodies acoustic-electric's in the 1990s (e.g. Gibson Chet Atkins SST).

Like those before it, I imagine this will be a great stage instrument for many electric players looking to dial up an acoustic sound for a few songs in their set. Since it's useless unplugged my opinion is that calling it a hybrid is just a Fender marketing thing. If it can't be played unplugged then it's not an acoustic instrument.

Acoustic Guitar [according to it's dictionary definition]
"an ordinary guitar, which produces its normal sound through the sounding board and is not amplified in any way"

I don't see any room for subjective interpretation of what an acoustic guitar is. But beyond that, Fishman pioneered acoustic simulation technology and Godin, Gibson and Taylor have pioneered similar products. Fender's leveraging the Telecaster brand and is just delivering a modern interpretation with a unique aesthetic and updated technology.

Interesting... Marketing seems a bit disingenuous....Not for me.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 01-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Default Fender Acoustasonic Telecaster

Not something I really have a use for but I like it...I think it looks cool, but I'm a bit of a Fender fan-boy.

Last edited by GTRGUY005; 01-22-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:38 PM

I have a Gibson Chet Atkins SST (black) that I play some in my acoustic trio (another guitar player and cajon player). I use it for songs that require a good bit of lead playing. The neck is faster for that and it has a bolder and more hybrid sound that just works for that. This new fender offering is something I want to try for that as well. Could be perfect.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve223 View Post
I think its pretty cool...I'm not a good enough guitar player to take advantage of it.. But it's an interesting guitar!
This was my take as well. I am just not the caliber of player or musician that could maximize all of what it offers and cannot afford it just as an indulgent toy for myself. It will be fun to hear how various players apply what it is capable of.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-22-2019, 02:50 PM

I’ve spent the last couple of hours watching all of the demos and I really like what I am hearing as an acoustic player. Some of the demos I have watched have not done the guitar justice by playing the entire demo through a fender electric amp. What piezo pickup sounds good through a Princeton Reverb? Danish Pete on the Anderton’s video is the one who has shown it best, through an acoustic amp. It looks as though you can produce very usable tone even direct into a PA, and when necessary get some Tele tone with a little dirt without any pedals. I think it is super cool and am thankful I don’t have $2k burning a hole in my pocket right now.

I’m sure, if they’re not a complete flop, that there will be trickle down into the MIM range, which would be a lot more appealing obviously to working musicians and hobby players. I also saw a highly figured top during all of that factory floor b roll so I’m sure they are planning to put out some custom shop models as well. I would love to try one of these out and could see having one in my stable at some point in the future.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 01-22-2019, 02:54 PM

Default Best video to date if you haven't seen it...

Here's a 35 minute video from Atherton Music in the UK. Very comprehesive (sorry if it's already been posted).

I had a Taylor T5 Koa years ago that was gorgeous and so easy to play, it just never sounded acoustic to my ears and, much as I wanted to love it, I didn't.

These Fenders sound light years better to me and I look forward to trying one out.

Cheers.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 01-22-2019, 03:39 PM

So when you have the guitar set to the electric tone, do you still play it through an acoustic amp?
Old 01-22-2019, 03:48 PM

Never count Fender out. My 68 Villager 12-string runs circles around any contemporary 12-string. I’ve been offered triple what eBay says it’s worth.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
I had to go to youtube to get a decent listen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-HgCsUOXmo

It's not a sound I have any interest in owning, but I can see guys in electric bands enjoying it for a different sound on ballads.

Like everything else, whatever floats your boat is good. I don't like the way it looks or sounds, but that doesn't mean you can't.
The demo guy Brian used to be the Marketing VP at Taylor back in the day...
Old 01-22-2019, 04:37 PM

I like it. Sort of homely, but still a cool, if strange vibe. The sounds in the demo are promising, though I don't expect a Martin or Collings--or a custom shop telecaster. I'm certainly going to try it and very likely will get one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars