The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2019, 09:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Engelmann Taylor 710ce vs. Eng. Taylor 710ce L9?

Here's the setup: I had a wonderful 2003 Taylor 710ce dread for fifteen years. Last year I traded it towards another guitar. Once it was traded my wife let the cat out of the bag that it was her favorite guitar of mine. Ahem. Well now.

So I've been saving to replace it with another. The original had the barn door Fishman and I'd prefer to move on from that. I loved the refinement of the Engelmann spruce over the EI rosewood. I was always a Gibson scale guy and recent purchase of a short-scale acoustic has reinforced that. In my searches I've come across an Engelmann spruce-topped 2004 710ce L9 short-scale that looks like it might be the best of all worlds.

Has anyone compared the two? I realize that short scale yields a "sweeter" top end and a softer touch on the strings. Is there anything else I should know?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-19-2019, 11:14 AM

Yes. Know to post pictures when the sale is complete and you've received the guitar.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Bob, I can’t answer your question as I’ve never played the short scale version but I did want to comment on the 710ce.

I owned a 2007 model and that was probably the best guitar I’ve ever owned. I had to sell it about 9 years ago and had trouble selling it so I traded it on the forum for a smaller, more popular body Taylor I could sell quicker. To make matters worse, the reason I needed the money ended up falling through and I’ve regretted it every since.

The Engelman/ Rosewood was such an awesome combo. Lush, overtone rich, warm, extremely responsive and it could handle heavy strumming with the dread body. There’s been many times I’ve thought about getting another one of these guitars. I really like the Sitka topped DN8 I ended up replacing it with, but has a different sound than the 710 and I liked the 710 more.

Good luck in your search. These are tremendous guitars. I’m curious to how the short scale sounds different, but I’m sure it’s a great guitar just like the regular scale 710 was.

Last edited by RussL30; 01-19-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:03 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Darn. I missed out on the L9.

Bob

Old 02-02-2019, 02:43 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Just closed on a 2004 Taylor 710ce with Engelmann top, EI Rosewood body, and expression system. It's got a couple of little finish flaws but otherwise looks really good. Ships out Monday.

Bob

Old 02-02-2019, 02:46 PM

Congrats Bob! This is one the best models Taylor ever made. I’d love to get another one day.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Just closed on a 2004 Taylor 710ce with Engelmann top, EI Rosewood body, and expression system. It's got a couple of little finish flaws but otherwise looks really good. Ships out Monday.

Bob

Ah dang it! I was eyeing that one. Was gonna go to MusicZoo next week to check it out. Congratulations. You beat me to it.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations Bob. I hope it's all you're looking forward to.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:33 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
Ah dang it! I was eyeing that one. Was gonna go to MusicZoo next week to check it out. Congratulations. You beat me to it.
Sorry about that.

Bob

Old 02-02-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Sorry about that.

Bob

It sounds like it should have gone to you anyway, given your prior history with that model. And you may have saved me from a bout of indecision. I don’t really need another dread.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
It sounds like it should have gone to you anyway, given your prior history with that model. And you may have saved me from a bout of indecision. I don’t really need another dread.
Then I guess all's well that ends well! I really did sort of a silly thing an let go of my dread. Everyone needs a dread, thou knowest.

Bob

Old 02-05-2019, 06:26 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It's been fair winds, following seas, and a little East Coast bubble of moderate temperatures during the ride down from New York. I'm following on the UPS app and hoping for the best.

Bob

Old 02-05-2019, 09:56 AM

Maybe I missed it being mentioned, but the other thing that you would have had to contend with on the L9 is the v-shaped neck. I personally prefer it - my uncle has a 510 L9 that is dreamy, but its not for everyone. Sounds like you made the right choice.
06 Big Baby
Old 02-05-2019, 04:08 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
Maybe I missed it being mentioned, but the other thing that you would have had to contend with on the L9 is the v-shaped neck. I personally prefer it - my uncle has a 510 L9 that is dreamy, but its not for everyone. Sounds like you made the right choice.
Thanks for that. I had no idea that L9s had a V neck. I got a short-scale Taylor that has one and it is comfortable enough but I do wonder what it would be like on a dread with mediums.

Bob

Old 02-06-2019, 07:31 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Out for delivery...

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion