The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-22-2019, 07:38 AM

Default Auto Accompaniment Software free for Mac?

Hi, is there a halfway decent free auto accompaniment software for Mac, like the paid-for Band in a Box programme?
I like the Digitech Trio plus guitar pedal, but funds are currently.....um...."limited".
I'm interested in the more acoustic, folky, Americana end of the music spectrum, tasty but not cheesy.
Any suggestions?
Old 11-22-2019, 10:04 AM

It's not BIAB or the Trio (I've used both) but have you checked out Garageband? I'll have to say I've not used it other than to look at it, but I get the idea that it's recent versions are "Logic Pro Lite." The drummer instrument from Logic Pro X seems to be there and it should let you get some drum patterns going fairly easily. Automatic bass that follows the chord changes like the Trio or BIAB isn't there, but in it's place you could:

Play in your own bass lines, even with computer keyboard as keyboard using a GB instrument.

Record rhythm guitar or 2nd guitar on an audio track. Even a low-quality built-in mic like one would use for Facetime et al would still give you a sound recording. You aren't recording Abbey Road, you're practicing/woodshedding, right?

Use other virtual instruments in GB to create harmony to play along to, such as strings or piano. I'm not sure which features that are present in Logic Pro X are also in GB for helping a non-keyboard player flesh out ideas, but in Logic Pro there are things like one key chord triggers and arpeggiators that aren't exactly BIAB, but can help a non-keyboard player get by.

Sorry if you are looking for exactly the same thing as BIAB or the Trio, but as an alternative this approach helps you learn a bit about creating accompaniment parts, which could be a bonus or a determent, depending...

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-22-2019, 11:01 AM

Hi Frank, thanks for the reply. I have looked at Garage Band, and it is powerful, the thing is that my brain, such as it is, goes into computer mode rather than making music mode, if you see what I mean. A flimsy excuse, I really must investigate it further, I do have a little midi keyboard, an audio interface and some decent enough mics.
What did you think of the Trio anyway, if I may ask?

Last edited by Dr. Martin; 11-23-2019 at 12:09 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:56 AM

I have the Trio and really like it but lately have been using the Music Memo app on my phone. It is a free app and does exactly what you are looking for.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:16 PM

I think the Trio is fun. I use it often just to loosen up the fingers and get the music part of my brain working. Play a few chords and then let the bass and drums do it's thing based on that while I work out on guitar.

I think it frustrates some people who want the Trio to do exactly what they want it to do as far the accompaniment, or at least a close approximation. I don't aim for that with the Trio, I just want it to give me a beat and some harmonic guideposts, and when it does something I wouldn't want it to do, that isn't my "thing," I say I'm learning how to work with a different feel that might bear fruit later on.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic