The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 02:10 PM
Guest 728

Default A Sudden Abundance of Glamorous Guitars in the Classifieds!

Man, I've noticed that the AGF Classifieds are flush with some amazing guitars lately. Unfortunately, they're all well out of my tax bracket, but I don't recall ever seeing so many boutique instruments all at once, several of which I've never even heard of. There's Straham, Huss & Dalton, Baranik, Kronbauer, Joshua House, Flammang, Applegate, William Kelday, Blazer & Henkes, David LaPlante, Sexauer, Kinnaird, and Greenfield represented -- and that's just on the first two pages!

Is this a post-holiday thing? Is the economy tanking? Is everyone upgrading to a Zager? It's like a museum in there --- get behind me, Satan!

Last edited by Guest 728; 01-16-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:24 PM

I just recently acquired a killer Bourgeois over there! Been wanting one for several years and I finally got one!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-16-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Okay...that officially seals it...I cannot visit the classifieds.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-16-2019, 02:41 PM

A Sudden Abundance of Glamorous Guitars in the Classifieds!

It's not sudden ... there's always an abundance of glamorous guitars in the classifieds.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-16-2019, 02:48 PM

I pretty much always see an abundance of glamorous guitars on the classifieds. Not sure now is any different. It's a buyers marker.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

The classifieds have always made Craigslist look like a garbage pile.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

You're right on the money with the Zager reference. String science baby!
Old 01-16-2019, 03:57 PM

What, are they all dressed up in Tuxedos or in heels and a slinky evening dress?
Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I just recently acquired a killer Bourgeois over there! Been wanting one for several years and I finally got one!

Hey, I'm looking for one too, but Adi/Hog SS OM or 12 fret...<sigh>
Don't 'em come around much...even in our classifieds.
scott
Old 01-16-2019, 04:39 PM

I have noticed that since joining and was curious about it. One would expect guitars that have high production numbers such as Martin and Taylor to be the most common offered guitars, which is probably true, and other brands being offered proportional to their production number. But indeed their seems to be a vast over-representation of exotic and custom boutique build that the average mortal rarely gets to see or even touch in person. And I wonder why this is, I would have though that people who buy these often highly customized guitars would keep and treasure them for the rest of their lives. But instead many end up for sale again - and likely/hopefully NOT because they cause their owners some financial hardship. Maybe they don't live up to the their expectation? So sellers of these guitars, please chime in as to your reasons for selling these.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Man, I've noticed that the AGF Classifieds are flush with some amazing guitars lately. Unfortunately, they're all well out of my tax bracket, but I don't recall ever seeing so many boutique instruments all at once, several of which I've never even heard of. There's Straham, Huss & Dalton, Baranik, Kronbauer, Joshua House, Flammang, Applegate, William Kelday, Blazer & Henkes, David LaPlante, Sexauer, Kinnaird, and Greenfield represented -- and that's just on the first two pages!

Is this a post-holiday thing? Is the economy tanking? Is everyone upgrading to a Zager? It's like a museum in there --- get behind me, Satan!
I think it's several things, there are many guitars listed here that are not well known and are hard to sell and a strong economy such as we are enjoying right now usually favors new products and established sellers with inspection periods and financing.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:21 PM

I have a hard time spending $4000 and up on a guitar I have never played from a maker I've never heard of. I would suppose many folks on the forum feel the same way. You may get the guitar and find that it just isn't for you, and still take a bath trying to re-sell it. I'm quite content with my Larrivees and Goodall.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 01-16-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
I have a hard time spending $4000 and up on a guitar I have never played from a maker I've never heard of. I would suppose many folks on the forum feel the same way. You may get the guitar and find that it just isn't for you, and still take a bath trying to re-sell it. I'm quite content with my Larrivees and Goodall.
Goodalls cost more than 4 grand, don't they?
Old 01-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

I’ve moved a few of them through the stable, and I have yet to lose money on a guitar I got or sold @ AGF. IMO the best way to do guitar deals.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 01-16-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I have noticed that since joining and was curious about it. One would expect guitars that have high production numbers such as Martin and Taylor to be the most common offered guitars, which is probably true, and other brands being offered proportional to their production number. But indeed their seems to be a vast over-representation of exotic and custom boutique build that the average mortal rarely gets to see or even touch in person. And I wonder why this is, I would have though that people who buy these often highly customized guitars would keep and treasure them for the rest of their lives. But instead many end up for sale again - and likely/hopefully NOT because they cause their owners some financial hardship. Maybe they don't live up to the their expectation? So sellers of these guitars, please chime in as to your reasons for selling these.
Some folks enjoy the chase...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion