The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-09-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I have to admit after following all the posts in this thread that the gluten issue seems to be an issue for more folks than I ever imagined. I think it may be somewhat “overblown,” but no where near as much as I originally thought it was. This has been very educational for me, I must say.
I genuinely think its really good of you to come back and say that. And, as I've said, there are always going to be certain types/companies etc. who give things the 'fad' vibe, which is usually what pushes peoples buttons (understandably!) and I sincerely hope that no hard feelings have been generated on this thread because, ultimately, we all want each other to be in good health...making great music!
Old 01-09-2019, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Fat is your main source of energy, until you introduce carbohydrates, and then your body starts to process carbs as its main source of energy and stores fat as reserve energy. This is what is called glycolysis state. Most people are in this metabolic state. When you starve your body off carbohydrates, you start to build ketones in your body, and ketones draw their energy from fat. You’re essentially “hacking” your body to go back to its primal state when humans didn’t farm crops and relied solely on hunting and nuts (even fruits were a rare treat back then). It’s what our bodies were made to process. Protein and fat. This is called ketosis. When your metabolic state is on ketosis, you’re no longer relying on carbs as a main source of energy, instead you’re using fat are your source of energy. Your body will crave protein and fat instead of grains. In fact, eating grains might even make you sick.

This is mostly why people who go gluten free lose weight and feel better. It’s mostly because they inadvertently go into a low carb diet and their body starts to burn fat.
When I went gluten free, I was still eating lots of processed “gluten free” carbs and starch, plus plenty of fruit, potatoes, etc. Lost no weight until I began a ketogenic diet - very low carbs - plus started eating eggs, fish, and turkey. Prior to that I was basically a vegetarian. Dropped 25 pounds while still eating as much as desired, and doing very minimal exercise. But I really enjoy fruit, and added more back in, along with trail running. That’s the combination that works for me now, along with cycling. I continue to avoid foods with gluten, and rarely eat processed carbs anyway.
I think one of the pitfalls of simply going gluten free to follow a fad/trend is not being aware of the big nutritional picture, and how the human body processes fat, protein and carbs, as you explain. Potato chip packaging will say “gluten and cholesterol free", as if that somehow means healthy food.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-09-2019, 03:58 PM

After 9 pages I really have nothing to add other than this. My wife is gluten free has been for a couple of years. She suffers from lupus. and it helps her greatly to not eat gluten.

and

Luksusowa Polish Potato Vodka is gluten free.

Just in case you didn't know.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
And it's a very fine vodka, too
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-09-2019, 04:24 PM

So is my single malt scotch.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 01-09-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
After 9 pages I really have nothing to add other than this. My wife is gluten free has been for a couple of years. She suffers from lupus. and it helps her greatly to not eat gluten.

and

Just in case you didn't know.
Hudson Baby Bourbon is also gluten free...made entirely from corn. A sweet bourbon, in the style of Knob Creek.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
Hudson Baby Bourbon is also gluten free...made entirely from corn. A sweet bourbon, in the style of Knob Creek.
Corn gluten is the very product that triggered the event that confirmed my Airedale's allergy . In fact , it was Silver Queen corn on the cob . I grew it from seed .
Old 01-09-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Corn gluten is the very product that triggered the event that confirmed my Airedale's allergy . In fact , it was Silver Queen corn on the cob . I grew it from seed .
This prompted me to do some research. Learn something new everyday! This is what I found:

"Corn does not contain the same type of gluten as that which causes a reaction in those who have celiac disease or are "gluten-intolerant."
A gluten is simply a grain protein - but the word is usually used to mean the type of gluten found in wheat, barley, rye, spelt, kamut, and triticale."
Old 01-09-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
This prompted me to do some research. Learn something new everyday! This is what I found:

"Corn does not contain the same type of gluten as that which causes a reaction in those who have celiac disease or are "gluten-intolerant."
A gluten is simply a grain protein - but the word is usually used to mean the type of gluten found in wheat, barley, rye, spelt, kamut, and triticale."
My Prudence reacted to both types .
Try to keep in mind that when her issue became something that needed to be dealt with , I was informed by my Vet that dogs don't have that problem .
Never use absolutes in medicine unless you are willing to accept the possibility of ending up wrong . When that happens , the good ones like my Vet , accept it , learn from it and use what they have learned going forward . They don't dig their heels in and deny the proof in front of them . He has far more taught knowledge about animals than I will ever have yet he realizes that there is more to learn and that knowledge does not have to come from anything more formal than common sense .
You see , when her symptoms began to manifest at 6 1/2 years old , they mirrored almost exactly the symptoms of someone that I know who is celiac . He nearly died from it until it was figured out . This was around the time when the public was only first learning about it and medicine was generally in the dark about it as well . I saw the distinct similarities and asked my Vet about it . This now returns full circle to where I began this post .
You see , I knew that corn contained gluten . I don't care what the books say . I care about living and applying logic to situations . More often than not , I find myself on the right side of things simply because I keep an open mind . Trust your instincts .
Old 01-09-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
When I went gluten free, I was still eating lots of processed “gluten free” carbs and starch, plus plenty of fruit, potatoes, etc. Lost no weight until I began a ketogenic diet - very low carbs - plus started eating eggs, fish, and turkey. Prior to that I was basically a vegetarian. Dropped 25 pounds while still eating as much as desired, and doing very minimal exercise. But I really enjoy fruit, and added more back in, along with trail running. That’s the combination that works for me now, along with cycling. I continue to avoid foods with gluten, and rarely eat processed carbs anyway.

I think one of the pitfalls of simply going gluten free to follow a fad/trend is not being aware of the big nutritional picture, and how the human body processes fat, protein and carbs, as you explain. Potato chip packaging will say “gluten and cholesterol free", as if that somehow means healthy food.

Yep that’s what this thread is about really. People falling into the fad aspect of going gluten-free, without really researching the whole picture. Same can be said for people who get into the keto diet thinking they have a hall pass on bacon and eggs every single time. Even on keto, you need to watch your sodium and saturated fats and cholesterol. Avocados, anything high in mct oil like coconut oil, fatty fish like salmon and mackerel are your best friends.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Yep that’s what this thread is about really. People falling into the fad aspect of going gluten-free, without really researching the whole picture. Same can be said for people who get into the keto diet thinking they have a hall pass on bacon and eggs every single time. Even on keto, you need to watch your sodium and saturated fats and cholesterol. Avocados, anything high in mct oil like coconut oil, fatty fish like salmon and mackerel are your best friends.
But if you have the gene for gout, which is 4% of the population, then mackerel is deadly. Gout is much more prevalent than gluten intolerance. But we do not see a "gout free industry". The gluten free craze is my issue. In the 80s it was "yeast free". Then it was "dairy free". And so forth.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Gout is much more prevalent than gluten intolerance. But we do not see a "gout free industry.
I for one sincerely hope that gout sufferers get all the help they can - same for the growing numbers of people who are gluten intolerant - and anybody else with a genuine condition. I also avoid dairy, and sugar, and have never felt/looked better. Thank goodness for awareness raising movements - in all areas of life - some we agree with, others we don't (I have my fair share of both!). The beauty is that we can look at what's being presented then decide for ourselves etc. Undoubtedly, this is increasingly difficult with all the vested interests etc. at play, and 'eternal vigilance' really is 'the price of freedom' (including freedom from gluten! ).
Old 01-10-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Most of the research so far has consisted of short-term studies to examine its effect on cholesterol levels. We don't really know how coconut oil affects heart disease. And I don't think coconut oil is as healthful as vegetable oils like olive oil and soybean oil, which are mainly unsaturated fat and therefore both lower LDL and increase HDL. Coconut oil's special HDL-boosting effect may make it "less bad" than the high saturated fat content would indicate, but it's still probably not the best choice among the many available oils to reduce the risk of heart disease.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...hy/coconut-oil
Old 01-10-2019, 09:41 AM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
But if you have the gene for gout, which is 4% of the population, then mackerel is deadly. Gout is much more prevalent than gluten intolerance.
This "NIH study" states gluten intolerance/sensitivity is higher than 4%.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 01-10-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
This "NIH study" states gluten intolerance/sensitivity is higher that than 4%.
Yes higher than 4 % In Sante Fe Argentina according to survey of "self reported" symptoms ?????

As far as the question posed in the OP... with clarification the answer is both yes and no.

NO: The issue is obviously very real for those with celiac disease and arguably with those who do not have celiac, but exhibit clinical intolerance or sensitivity to actual and natural gluten..

Yes: for the majority of the population who are not suffering from celiac and are not actually clinically sensitive to natural gluten, because going "gluten free" as hyped by the food industry , for those people appears to offer no real health benefit per se, and arguably is a waste of money.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/going-gluten-free-just-because-heres-what-you-need-to-know-201302205916

The confusion and part of debate is complicated when people make general statements that do not clarify the difference between highly processed foods
containing all kinds of questionable chemicals etc. and also contain processed gluten and natural unprocessed and organic foods which may contain natural gluten

Thus I think all would agree or should understand, that highly refined and processed foods , whether or not they contain gluten, are really not good for the general population.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-10-2019 at 02:17 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic