The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
From a logistics/sanity check, would lower action be getting in my way? I feel like the 12s and 13s are nicely balanced in standard tuning and dropped D is passable. I don't play with heavy technique.

The mediums should be fine. I tune my 12 fret GC in Open C a lot. It'll buzz (the Low C) if you're too strong on attack, but it works.

Give it a try.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:05 AM

On again off again DADGAD player here, but generally I use medium gauge strings as opposed to my usual light gauge strings. Usually also use the same guitar that I tune down to Eb standard or open G. It's kind of a lazy solution to use the same guitar for three tunings (I used to think it was elegant), but the medium string gauges seem to work pretty good.

I've tried a DADGAD specifically gauged set from Firewire and though they were nice enough strings, they didn't solve my other tuning issues so well.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I’m down to one guitar and it’s always in DADGAD. Well, that’s it’s home. I use others and am happy to tune. Elixir PB’s in a 12-53. No issues whatsoever. The HD lights may also serve you well if you’re lacking treble volume.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:19 AM

When I am consistently playing in DADGAD, I like to keep one guitar in that tuning. I like the D'addario EJ24 for this. Gives me a little more tension on the strings that are dropped a whole step.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:32 PM

I've been playing in DADGAD for 25 years and I keep a guitar exclusively tuned in it. True Medium Gauge strings make a huge difference in the sound. I don't recommend normal strings for this tuning for that reason alone.
Old 11-06-2018, 08:57 PM

I have a Taylor 618 Custom, Maple B/S and Neck. It is only used for DADGAD.
The only strings I use are Thomastik Infeld Spectrum Bronze or Plectrums. I use the Spectrums on the DADGAD Guitar. High Quality strings that last and are the standard for many studio players. I believe you will like them.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

D'Addario EJ24 is your best bet, and I don't just say that because I'm endorsed by them. They intonate better than most "DADGAD" sets, in my experience...could've been humidity or some weird factor though.

Before I used those I just used light strings and kept a bunch of 13's laying around to replace the 12 on the high E...you could always get any "medium light" branded set and replace your high E with a 13 as well if you really prefer the beefy bottom.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 11-07-2018, 10:43 AM

I use Martin Retro monel on my DADGAD guitar, with either medium or Tony Rice bluegrass gauges - both sets have the .056 sixth and .013 first.

I like the throaty sound of monel in DADGAD, and, being monel, I like the fact that they hold their tonal goodness for quite a long time.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:48 AM

I play in DADGAD 75% of the time, and I do have a dedicated DADGAD guitar, which is my D-28. To me, a DADGAD guitar should have a longer scale to account for the down tuning, and I personally prefer bigger bodied guitars for the low end. I did have a 000-28 for a while that was a wonderful DADGAD guitar, but the shorter scale got sloppy at times. It was a joy to play though.

I recently tried just having one acoustic for all of my needs, and I found that I just quit playing in DADGAD and focused on standard tuning. It was my J-45 and I just don't prefer the sound of that guitar in DADGAD.

So yes, I would agree that if you play in DADGAD at least half of the time or more, then get a dedicated guitar.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:27 AM

I'm about to order some custom Curt Mangan strings. My goal is to have equivalent tension/tone to 12s.

56 42 32 24w 18 14

Thoughts on these gauges?
Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 AM

I have a couple guitars that are in open tunings in the relative DADGAD sphere (including open D, Gsus2, and maybe another tuning or two if the mood strikes.) I've always been fine with just using regular light gauge strings, but I recently ordered some Thomastik strings for the high b and e, which are the Classic S stainless steel flatwound .014 and .018 and the JP Folk strings with the nylon tape wind cover the rope core. Curiosity got the best of me, so I ordered a few different individual strings while picking up some Sunbeam packs.

I've never found standard gauge strings to be unsuitable for open tunings, either on short scale or long scale acoustics. Considering the relative variations in gauges and tensions from one brand to another (not to mention subtle differences between PB, 80/20, and Nickel, or even hex vs round cores), it's not something I lose much sleep over.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:13 PM
Charter Member

I ordered a set of Pierre Bensusan dadgad from Wyress strings but something is going on that they aren't responding to my PayPal info. I tried ordering them from Bensusan too, but his website wasn't allowing the order. I'll give them a couple of days and if I don't hear from them I'll contact PayPal and get my $ back. I was really curious about those strings too.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-05-2018, 01:09 PM

I am not a dadgad player. I know many who are. Yes, some of them have dedicated dadgad guitars.

Many of them build custom string sets. Either entirely from single strings or packaged sets that they tweak to what works for them.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:09 PM

I tend to keep my Larrivee L-03 in DADGAD, but also use it for other tunings (G, Gm, D), depending...this one is definitely my 'utility' guitar. The DV-10k is always in either CGCGCD or CACGCE. The L-10 is pretty much reserved for Standard (or 'flamenco') tuning. None of this is set in stone...just whatever mood takes me.

I've tried customizing string gauges on these guitars for open tuning but I always end up going back the regular light-gauge strings...doesn't seem to matter, unless a very slight truss adjustment is called for.

I've pretty much given up on Elixirs...just seems to me that their quality has fallen off. My new favorites are either GHS Doyle Dykes Sig. PB or John Pearse. Both of these last very nearly as long as the Elixers ever did and sound better to my ears.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-05-2018, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

The Bensusan Wyres are nice, they seem a bit darker/muted to me, and quite expensive and hard to order, but they do seem to last. I sometimes use them, but generally D'Addario EJ24s and/or John Pierce True Mediums are what I use on everything (including standard tuning). I like fatter trebles. I've even been swapping out the .013 and .017 for .014 and .018 on some guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion