The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-18-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Here we are again, saying the same thing again. What is with Marchand? He is a quality player, a real player; but he has to play the stupid clown. I do not get it.

Pens ain't lookin so good.
Marchand is truly a hockey enigma. He easily has the skill to be one of the most respected players of this era, but he apparently just can't help himself from acting badly.

Pens looking tragic, and it's a complete team effort.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-18-2018, 06:43 AM

The Predators won again last night. They are really hanging with the Lightning and the Leafs. Their goals allowed is amazing and the lowest in the NHL. A goal differential of 20 is also the best. In my opinion not to many teams have two great goalies that are used almost equally. They really had a rough 5 game road trip. I haven't seen it often that a team has five games in a row away from home.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
Am really enjoying the Oilers / Flames game. Old time hockey.
How did McDavid play? I saw in the boxscore he had a goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Marchand is truly a hockey enigma. He easily has the skill to be one of the most respected players of this era, but he apparently just can't help himself from acting badly.

Pens looking tragic, and it's a complete team effort.
What's up with the Pens? Didn't they do this at the start of last season or the season before where they just couldn't pull it together ... and then they won the Cup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tim T View Post
The Predators won again last night. They are really hanging with the Lightning and the Leafs. Their goals allowed is amazing and the lowest in the NHL. A goal differential of 20 is also the best. In my opinion not to many teams have two great goalies that are used almost equally. They really had a rough 5 game road trip. I haven't seen it often that a team has five games in a row away from home.
Nashville is one of those teams that don't get a lot of notice because of the market they play in. It was great to see their Stanley Cup run just to show the league who they are. How is PK doing?
Old 11-18-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
He showed that he is quite capable of being physical back to guys on the other team who try and take him out; which of course got more of McDavids teammates joining in the brawl. McDavid can handle himself. It was a very hard hitting game.

I thought the Oilers were going to take it, but the Flames responded with 3 third period goals...and there ya go.

It is sometimes easy to forget that McDavid is still, essentially, a newbie. He is a star though.

Speaking of stars, that Elias Pettersson has a wicked one-timer. He is a superstar in the making. He is very enjoyable to watch.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 11-18-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:

What's up with the Pens? Didn't they do this at the start of last season or the season before where they just couldn't pull it together ... and then they won the Cup?

Nashville is one of those teams that don't get a lot of notice because of the market they play in. It was great to see their Stanley Cup run just to show the league who they are. How is PK doing?

Well Dru, the Pens have a number of problems, some of which I wrote about in an earlier post. You are correct in your recollection that they got off to a very slow start last season, which most experts attributed to "Cup Hangover" after winning back to back championships. They rebounded and made the playoffs without too much difficulty. They also got off to a terrible start in their 2015/2016 Cup winning season which precipitated the firing of head coach Mike Johnston, and the hiring of Mike Sullivan.

This season looks to be different in that no one believes that the Pens will make a coaching change, even if it may be justified. Additionally, relative to the rest of the league, the Pens are an older and slower team which leaves them without an effective strategy for winning with their current personnel unless a different approach is tried. And as if those things weren't problematic enough, their No. 1 goaltender, Matt Murray, is consistently playing the worst hockey of his career.

I suppose it's possible that somehow every member of the team will start to play better, or that Mike Sullivan will draw up some creative new Xs and Os master plan that will allow this team to get the best performance from every player, but I'm not optimistic. I'm afraid the Pens have joined LA and Chicago as former powerhouse franchises.

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-18-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Well Dru, the Pens have a number of problems, some of which I wrote about in an earlier post. You are correct in your recollection that they got off to a very slow start last season, which most experts attributed to "Cup Hangover" after winning back to back championships. They rebounded and made the playoffs without too much difficulty. They also got off to a terrible start in their 2015/2016 Cup winning season which precipitated the firing of head coach Mike Johnston, and the hiring of Mike Sullivan.

This season looks to be different in that no one believes that the Pens will make a coaching change, even if it may be justified. Additionally, relative to the rest of the league, the Pens are an older and slower team which leaves them without an effective strategy for winning with their current personnel unless a different approach is tried. And as if those things weren't problematic enough, their No. 1 goaltender, Matt Murray, is consistently playing the worst hockey of his career.

I suppose it's possible that somehow every member of the team will start to play better, or that Mike Sullivan will draw up some creative new Xs and Os master plan that will allow this team to get the best performance from every player, but I'm not optimistic. I'm afraid the Pens have joined LA and Chicago as former powerhouse franchises.
That's the big thing - Murray isn't stealing any games. Hopefully he'll turn around.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
That's the big thing - Murray isn't stealing any games. Hopefully he'll turn around.
I concur. We were spoiled by having TWO good goalies for a couple of years there. Marc Andre Fleury certainly doesn't seem like he's ready for retirement just yet either - though I know that he's adjusted well to his new team.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I concur. We were spoiled by having TWO good goalies for a couple of years there. Marc Andre Fleury certainly doesn't seem like he's ready for retirement just yet either - though I know that he's adjusted well to his new team.
Fleury was on an episode of Counting Cars a couple of weeks ago (spin off of Pawn Stars), which is filmed in Las Vegas. He's a car guy. I don't recall the car he had though.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:44 AM

Pens blow a 4-1 lead to lose to the Sabres in OT 5-4. The Pens are a steaming hot mess of a team right now. I expect to see more changes soon.

On a positive note, the Pens announced the hiring of HOFer Craig Patrick to their scouting staff. Patrick was the Pens GM for 17 years (1989-2006), leading them to the franchise's first two Stanley Cups. A nice homecoming for Patrick and the Pens.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-20-2018, 11:35 AM

The Capitals and the Predators both won last night. The Predators now sit alone at the top (by 1 point) in the whole NHL. The Capitals are starting to slowly inch up. As someone else stated the Pens lost with at one point having a 4 to 1 lead. Those kind of loses are frustrating for the fans on the loosing side.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Pens blow a 4-1 lead to lose to the Sabres in OT 5-4. The Pens are a steaming hot mess of a team right now. I expect to see more changes soon.

On a positive note, the Pens announced the hiring of HOFer Craig Patrick to their scouting staff. Patrick was the Pens GM for 17 years (1989-2006), leading them to the franchise's first two Stanley Cups. A nice homecoming for Patrick and the Pens.
The Pens just missed a chance to hire Ken Hitchcock as he was hired by Edmonton today. I wonder if they're looking towards Joel Quenneville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Tim T View Post
The Capitals and the Predators both won last night. The Predators now sit alone at the top (by 1 point) in the whole NHL. The Capitals are starting to slowly inch up. As someone else stated the Pens lost with at one point having a 4 to 1 lead. Those kind of loses are frustrating for the fans on the loosing side.
Predators have a great shot to finish in the top 3 in their conference for sure. Strong team.

Patrice Bergeron (Bruins) is out for a month with a shoulder injury! Arh. He had 26 points in 19 games and had a 55.7% face off win pct. Chara is also out for a month.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
The Pens just missed a chance to hire Ken Hitchcock as he was hired by Edmonton today. I wonder if they're looking towards Joel Quenneville.
I doubt that HC Mike Sullivan's job is in jeopardy yet. He's won 2 Cups in his 3 years on the job, and the Penguins Organization has traditionally stuck with their head coaches well beyond their effective shelf-life. Perhaps if the current losing continues unabated for another month his job could be in danger.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-21-2018, 05:18 AM

Quote:
I doubt that HC Mike Sullivan's job is in jeopardy yet. He's won 2 Cups in his 3 years on the job, and the Penguins Organization has traditionally stuck with their head coaches well beyond their effective shelf-life. Perhaps if the current losing continues unabated for another month his job could be in danger.
Yep, you're right. I wonder if the Pens do make a coaching change that they'll go after someone who is relatively new to the NHL. I just checked Sullivan's NHL coaching stints - 2 years in Boston then 10 years out of the NHL before the Pens hired him. Same with his predecessor Dan Bylsma, a first time NHL coach.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Yep, you're right. I wonder if the Pens do make a coaching change that they'll go after someone who is relatively new to the NHL. I just checked Sullivan's NHL coaching stints - 2 years in Boston then 10 years out of the NHL before the Pens hired him. Same with his predecessor Dan Bylsma, a first time NHL coach.
Both Dan Bylsma and Mike Sullivan held the head-coaching position at the Pens AHL affiliate when they were promoted mid-season to the HC position in Pittsburgh. Following the organization's previous track record, if the Pens do fire Sullivan during the season, I expect he'll be replaced by their AHL head coach Clark Donatelli, at least on an interim basis.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-22-2018, 07:31 AM

Sid back in the lineup after missing the past week with a neck injury. Pens beat Dallas 5-1. Not a coincidence. Sid with a goal, two assists and looked dominant everytime he stepped on the ice.

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic