The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-15-2019, 06:15 AM
Charter Member

Default NGD coming - Rainsong CH-OM

After much pining and agonizing, I pulled the trigger on Rainsong Convert Hybrid 12 fret OM. It pretty much ticks all the boxes of what I’d want, but I was hung up for quite awhile for one stupid reason - it looks fairly conservative and boring. I am so drawn to other brands and their more modern, ergonomic and unique shapes that I have always sorta discounted what Rainsong brings to the table.

I’ve owned a Blackbird Savoy and a CA Cargo. I’ve looked hard at the Journey RT660, McPherson Touring and several Emeralds, each of which have things like an offset soundhole, body countours, unique cutaways or other more unique features that only molded composite guitars can have. A Rainsong looks like a regular traditional guitar made from composites. It just didn’t excite me as much.

My experience with the Savoy proved to me that, although it looked incredible and played and sounded wonderful, it was oddly quite awkward and uncomfortable to play. The Cargo was similar, mostly due to the too short scale for my liking.

In the end, abandoning the idea that it had to be more of a travel instrument, I widened my search a bit and moved beyond Rainsong’s parlors and this thing just hit every mark for what I like about guitars and it’s alrogether more useful and valuable to me. I live in Minnesota where we’ve had the past several months of bone dry and below freezing temps so my humidification system has been on overtime, it’s finally starting to warm up a bit and melting like crazy and I can see the change already where I’ll soon be overworked trying to keep up with dehumidification. I sincerely hope this instrument becomes a mainstay and the one I’m glad I can leave out to play all the time.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Great Choice, enjoy it !!
Old 03-15-2019, 07:13 AM

The understated/ traditional look is what I appreciate about RainSong designs. I think they know it too and continually build with the traditionally minded players in their scope. You will still get to enjoy the benefits of a CF guitar and enjoy the contoured back of the OM, the 12 fret to body, and the fact it weighs 4 lbs. I think you will really like it!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

It was a RainSong Shorty (pretty much the same guitar as your CH-OM) that was my entry into carbon fiber. Very nice guitar, and definitely traditional styling. I have no doubt you will enjoy it; after decades of wood, I was impressed by the crisp tone and sustain.

Years later, I am fully convinced on what carbon fiber offers. The RainSong led to 3 Emeralds. Some consider RainSong as a "gateway" to the carbon fiber world... maybe; or, it may be all you'll ever need.

Congrats on the incoming - looking forward to your impressions.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The understated/ traditional look is what I appreciate about RainSong designs. I think they know it too and continually build with the traditionally minded players in their scope.
I kinda figure their MO is to be different by being boring, which isn't the norm in the composite marketplace. I also figure it means without having to try and find a new comfort bevel to add, they've spent all their time on how great the guitars sound and play, which is time well spent from the ones I've played. I must say, the one recent "gimmick" that they do have is in the make-up of this guitar, the unidirectional weave that makes the fibers of the top look kinda like a wood grain. It's subtle, but a really cool touch in my opinion.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Congratulations on a really nice guitar! I purchased an H-OM last year and an really enjoying it. Mine needed a complete setup to get it right - bridge saddle & nut adjustments. Yours may need the same. Once it was done the action became awesome!
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 03-15-2019, 03:00 PM

I own a Shorty, which is a pretty direct ancestor of the CH-OM model (but with a full gloss finish, as opposed to the CH series' matte back and sides). It's immediately familiar to anyone who has spent time playing any form of orchestra-style acoustic guitar, even if some might call the shape "boring." And it's definitely my favorite of my CF instruments, just a real comfortable instrument to play, balanced in tone, and always ready to play.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:13 PM

I also have a shorty, and it quickly became my ‘go to’ acoustic. I know how it’s going to play and sound regardless of the weather, the phase of the moon, or any other variable.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Rainsong coming your way. I have the Smokey Hybrid and love it...as you know their combination of fiber glass and carbon gives a little more of a mellow warm tone rather than a brighter tone and the all black look I found that I like it better every day.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:40 PM

I have the Concert version--effectively the same guitar as yours with a little more bling.

You'll love it. Mine is always out, always ready to go, and it has better tuning stability than any other guitar I've ever owned.

Carbon fiber is so stiff and light that sound resonates through the whole thing like no wood guitar I've played. ENJOY!!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:32 PM

I have the Dread version on order being built, same neck and scale as the Shorty and my fifth Rainsong, best playing neck I've ever had!! Had a X7 Artison for a while but the traditional look is for me, my new one is sunburst gloss top as well. The price is also good on RS my new one is under 1800 for special order! And K&K installed so. no trapdoor.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:51 AM

Congrats on a great choice. I have the Shorty, and say don’t count it out for travel. Mine went with me on this weeks trip, lightweight and easy to carry in an Access stage 1 small guitar gig bag. I am sure you will enjoy having it out, ready to go at anytime, but it will also beg to be taken on the road/plane/boat/hiking/camping etc...
Old 03-16-2019, 07:27 AM

Nice buy I say. It is my favorite RainSong size... just don’t tell my WS...shhhhh
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
In the end, abandoning the idea that it had to be more of a travel instrument, I widened my search a bit and moved beyond Rainsong’s parlors and this thing just hit every mark for what I like about guitars and it’s alrogether more useful and valuable to me.

Excellent and practical choice!

I'm still a bit hung up on getting a travel size instrument that plays biggish, and hope to try one later this year.

If the travel size doesn't work out will get a Rainsong. I've played the CH-WS, CH-OM, CH-PA, P-14 and liked them all.

This summer will travel with a lovely new semi-composite tenor banjo (and nice brass banjo mute haha) that needs only 36 x 12 inches of space.

Cheers.

Last edited by casualmusic; 03-16-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:16 AM

Nice! Best deal in a carbon guitar today.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber