The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2019, 02:07 PM

Question Would appreciate thoughts on Taylor (and GC models)

Brand new to the forum. I picked this thread since it had lots of knowledgeable Taylor players.

Here’s my deal. Originally a classical player. Now I am focused on jazz.

So, my current guitar is a Sadowsky SS-15, lovely small format archtop electric. I would like to add an acoustic steel string guitar, so that I can play my same jazz tunes w/o plugging in. The Taylor GC caught my attention because in some ways the format would parallel my archtop: 15” lower bout, similar short scale... And with a cutaway 14-fret GC, you are about as close as you would get in an acoustic instrument. The archtop also meets the body at fret 14 and has a cutaway. I am thinking this would ease switching between the guitars. The acoustic is much deeper (the Sadowsky is only 1 3/4”), but I am used to classical instruments, so no big deal on the depth.

My questions-
1) Any reaction to my thinking about pursuing a GC?
2) I prefer to buy used. And I would also like a GC without electronics. Am I looking for a unicorn? It appears the vast majority of Taylors come with their built-in electronics. (I would rather not be locked into their solution, and if/when amplification is needed, add it on.). In my searches so far, found none.
3) The NT Neck - This bolt-on neck is interesting. It certainly simplifies any radical neck re-alignment need. Although with my classical guitars, this never was needed. (But I think steel strings apply more pressure.)
3a) Does this NT neck alter sonic qualities in any significant way (vs. the mortise and tenon glue on approach)?
4a) Assuming the NT neck is a good idea, are other builders copying the system?
5a) ...so at this point, I am searching for a guitar built 2001 or later. I understand that by 2001, all Taylors had the NT neck.

Lastly, any similar format guitars from other builders? Many I have checked, have the longer scale which I don’t think I want.

Sorry so verbose. Any related thoughts, guidance appreciated!

Thanks
Old 02-15-2019, 02:28 PM

Best value would be a 412-R. But my favorite is the 712
Old 02-15-2019, 06:40 PM

There are a lot of nice guitars out there that will do what you want, but you could do a lot worse than a Taylor GC. Personally I think it would be a great choice.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
GC3 - no longer available, but if you can find a used one - there is no better bang for the buck.
I agree. GC3 or 312. Best "value" in the Taylor line is almost always the 300 series.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion