The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2016, 11:26 AM

Default Maton Mini

I tried out a Maton Mini a few years ago...I was not impressed...just seemed kind of lifeless...but I do like my Martin Dread Jr and my Taylor GS mini...I also have a Larrivee parlour guitar with is absolutely wonderful...I've never compared the sizes, but the Larrivee is pretty compact...another smaller guitar I had a few years ago was the Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Parlour...12 fret guitar and about the same size as the Larrivee...just my opinion and experience...
Gibson J-35
Larrivee Parlour
Martin Dreadnaught Jr.
Rainsong Shorty
Taylor GS Mini-e Mahogany
Yamaha FSX700SC
Cordoba 20 tm-ce Ukulele
Mitchell Baritone Ukulele
Taylor GS MINI e bass
Old 11-19-2016, 12:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
You're right, it was kind obnoxious subjective reponse on my part. Did not intend to be negative, but you are comparing a fairly expensive, rare guitar, to more accessible travel guitars. Here the Maton is almost 3x the cost, yet almost the same down under, and probably much more accessible. I'm seriously giving you my impression as someone who knows the Martin and Taylor and has been wanting to try a Maton (but can't find one around Austin or my regular Bay haunts).

I'm truly glad you like it though, and look forward to playing any Maton. Actually been intrigued for years after watching Justin play one in all his lesson videos, though it's hard to judge acoustic tone from digital recordings. I don't consider any of my guitars "better" or even deserving defense. The Taylor fits into every overhead except puddle jumpers, and the Martin tone is hard to beat. You're up against tough competition in this forum, though sounds like you should do a show down with the Lowden for a fair fight.

Congrats on your guitar and do enjoy it!
When I saw Tommy E. play a year or so ago in my home town in Canada, a Maton display in the foyer immediately outside the auditorium featured a number of their guitars. I don't think there are any Maton-only dealers in my town, so my assumption was that a Maton rep or two were travellling with Tommy to promote the guitars. If this is the case and the Maton travelling road show is known to be with Tommy, you may want to attend a concert if he happens to pass through your neck of the woods. I was with a small group of people and as the foyer where the display was was so full of people in noisy discussion, it was not a suitable venue to take a test-drive. Besides, after seeing that guy play, I didn't feel like touching, let-alone play a guitar in public.😜 You may feel differently if presented with an opportunity.
Old 11-19-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustic rabbit View Post
I tried out a Maton Mini a few years ago...I was not impressed...just seemed kind of lifeless...but I do like my Martin Dread Jr and my Taylor GS mini...I also have a Larrivee parlour guitar with is absolutely wonderful...I've never compared the sizes, but the Larrivee is pretty compact...another smaller guitar I had a few years ago was the Simon & Patrick Woodland Pro Parlour...12 fret guitar and about the same size as the Larrivee...just my opinion and experience...
I guess to each their own. The Maton Mini responds to a bit of vigorous strumming very nicely. It is not as responsive as a dreadnought.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:10 PM

Congrats on a very pretty guitar! Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 11-19-2016, 04:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
For those unfamiliar with these handmade Australian guitars they are made entirely out of Australian wood. Even the Spruce is grown here. I think the only exception is the rosewood for the fretboards. The guitars are made in Melboourne in a small factory setup in the 1940s

Just a small correction. Although Maton do use Australian woods, the Spruce is not grown here in Australia. The top is Sitka Spruce which does not grow here. As you say, the rosewood for the fingerboard and bridge is also imported. The Maton company started in a backyard garage in 1946 and has moved to larger premises three times since those days. The name comes from Bill May, who founded the company and "tone". One could debate until the cows come home about what it means to be "hand made", but Maton do use a lot of CNC so these are factory guitars, not really what I would call hand made.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snshami View Post
The guitars are made in Melboourne in a small factory setup in the 1940s.
As Peter said above, they have moved several times since the 1940's..
This is the Box Hill factory.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-19-2016, 04:52 PM

Congratulations on a great looking little guitar snshami.

Last edited by Alex6strings; 11-20-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the review. How does it compare in size with Little Martin?
Old 11-20-2016, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your maton mini.

Although my experiences are complete the opposite from yours, hey, everyone has different tastes.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I played a mini maton 12 string in my local Mom and Pop a while back and liked it a lot. I was tempted but the $1600 price was hard to swallow especially for a used guitar. That said it was very playable and had great tone the betrayed it's small size.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Similarly the GS Mini is a guitar that is not really a travel sized guitar because it would be too large for an aeroplane overhead locker but does not have the full sized sound of a jumbo or a dreadnought.
Have you ever attempted to carry-on a GS-Mini on an airplane?
Old 11-20-2016, 11:37 AM

I'd like to try one.

...or a Linda Manzer Little Manzer
http://www.manzer.com/guitars/index....ittle-manzer-2
Old 11-20-2016, 01:33 PM

The Mini Maton sure is a nice looking guitar, I'd love to try one but you just don't find many Matons here, and it would have to be a lefty so theres very little chance of ever playing one

I have a Sitka RW GS mini which I absolutely adore playing, it has the sweetest voice.
these little guitars are very addictive my big girls are getting kind of lonely
Old 11-20-2016, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
I'd like to try one.

...or a Linda Manzer Little Manzer
http://www.manzer.com/guitars/index....ittle-manzer-2
I'm sure you can pick one up for a couple of hundred bucks, huh?
Old 02-17-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
For those unfamiliar with these handmade Australian guitars they are made entirely out of Australian wood. Even the Spruce is grown here. I think the only exception is the rosewood for the fretboards. The guitars are made in Melboourne in a small factory setup in the 1940s.

Anyway this Mini has Queensland maple for its neck and solid Queensland Maple back and sides.
Hi there, I don’t think the spruce that Maton has used is grown in Australia. Maton uses all the spruce imported from Canada (except German or other spruce for the custom shop). Just letting you know...

Also the Indian Rosewood are nowadays on the red list, so Maton has recently used Pau Ferro as an alternative/replacement for fingerboard and bridge on some models (SRS60, Tommy Emmanuel's signature model EBG808TE, etc)

Past:
2015 --- Maton S60
2016 --- Mini Maton EM6
ft. AP5 Original
2017 --- Cole Clark CCAN2EC-SR
ft. 3-way pickup
2017 --- Cole Clark CCLL1RM

Current:
2017 --- Anuenue M200
2018 --- Emerald X20 Opus
ft. satin neck + LR Baggs Element

Last edited by albirw; 02-17-2019 at 09:45 PM. Reason: too many pictures and details in the quote. re-clarify response

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion