The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-28-2015, 09:44 PM

Default Dread/Jumbo range difference?

As I understand it (I've never played a jumbo) one difference between a dread and jumbo (speaking very generally) is that a dread will tend to get muddy or dull in the mids to highs, and excel in the lows. Whereas, a jumbo will tend to stay clear and loud all the way across the spectrum.

First, is that generally true, and second, if so, does it hold true with Rainsong dreads and jumbos?

Curious.

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:25 AM

I would imagine this depends on the guitar. My mum has an incredibly uncomfortable Epiphone jumbo that is balanced across the strings but very quiet compared in general to my blackbird and my parlour.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-29-2015, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

I really don't think you can make that judgement without considering the maker and the materials.

Are we talking Martins, and Gibsons ?
When you say jumbos are you talking Gibson 35/45/AJ/200s ?

Different situation if considering Collings, Bourgeois, SCGC etc.
Please qualify what we are discussing.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I really don't think you can make that judgement without considering the maker and the materials.

Are we talking Martins, and Gibsons ?
When you say jumbos are you talking Gibson 35/45/AJ/200s ?

Different situation if considering Collings, Bourgeois, SCGC etc.
Please qualify what we are discussing.
Sorry, I thought I had. I'm talking about Rainsong guitars.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I would imagine this depends on the guitar. My mum has an incredibly uncomfortable Epiphone jumbo that is balanced across the strings but very quiet compared in general to my blackbird and my parlour.
That's interesting. Might that be a difference between wood and carbon fiber?
Old 03-29-2015, 08:28 AM

My WS-1000 is more of a jumbo shape, and very clear all the way across the strings. I have played the DR-1000 and it is also exceptionally clear. I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way. It seems to me that the structural design of Rainsong guitars (the only CF I have experience with) supports balance, regardless of body size. I suspect this is also true for Emerald, Blackbird, Peavy, etc..

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 03-29-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
My WS-1000 is more of a jumbo shape, and very clear all the way across the strings. I have played the DR-1000 and it is also exceptionally clear. I honestly don't think you can go wrong either way. It seems to me that the structural design of Rainsong guitars (the only CF I have experience with) supports balance, regardless of body size. I suspect this is also true for Emerald, Blackbird, Peavy, etc..
Yes, that's what I've read about Rainsong. I'm interested in that clarity and balance, but I'd prefer a larger guitar, larger even than the WS.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:23 AM

Deleted. Sorry, I didn't realize we were speaking of CF instruments.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 03-29-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc View Post
Yes, that's what I've read about Rainsong. I'm interested in that clarity and balance, but I'd prefer a larger guitar, larger even than the WS.
The Jumbo is the only body from the RainSong line that is larger than a WS. I have personally played a Jumbo with the old N1 neck, of which is no longer available. The only RainSong that I had previously played was the Shorty (which I fell in love with and eventually bought) and was just curious about the tonal properties of the Jumbo. The sound was crystalline, balanced, bold and LOUD- this was a used Guitar Center model with old strings!

What struck more odd than anything is that I played it while sitting down and the guitar was remarkably comfortable for a guitar of that size. I play fingerstyle and love comfy OM bodies whether CF or wood, and I'm not saying you could comfy up on the couch with one like an OM but did find the guitar oddly comfortable. Have fun hunting and sit down and play some RainSongs! I find that they are not nearly as bright as indicated in videos and you can tame the tones with the right kind of strings.

Last edited by steelvibe; 03-29-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The Jumbo is the only body from the RainSong line that is larger than a WS. I have personally played a Jumbo with the old N1 neck, of which is no longer available. The only RainSong that I had previously played was the Shorty (which I fell in love with and eventually bought) and was just curious about the tonal properties of the Jumbo. The sound was crystalline, balanced, bold and LOUD- this was a used Guitar Center model with old strings!

What struck more odd than anything is that I played it while sitting down and the guitar was remarkably comfortable for a guitar of that size. I play fingerstyle and love comfy OM bodies whether CF or wood, and I'm not saying you could comfy up on the couch with one like an OM but did find the guitar oddly comfortable. Have fun hunting and sit down and play some RainSongs! I find that they are not nearly as bright as indicated in videos and you can tame the tones with the right kind of strings.

I guess the dread dimensions listed on the RS site are just rounded up. I play fingerstyle too, bare finger. So I'm interested in a guitar that assists with projection, volume, clarity, etc. I'm 6'3" with long arms, so I'm not too concerned about the comfort of a jumbo. I currently play an om sized guitar (a masterbilt ef500R), and I keep wanting something larger.

Still, the WS could be a good way to split the difference, size-wise.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I guess the dread dimensions listed on the RS site are just rounded up. I play fingerstyle too, bare finger. So I'm interested in a guitar that assists with projection, volume, clarity, etc. I'm 6'3" with long arms, so I'm not too concerned about the comfort of a jumbo. I currently play an om sized guitar (a masterbilt ef500R), and I keep wanting something larger.

Still, the WS could be a good way to split the difference, size-wise.
No experience with the WS so I can't help you there, but I think you will really love what you hear when you test drive some RainSongs in general.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:30 AM

I have owned and played lots of Rainsongs and have keep only the JM1000 BI. Jumbos are deceivingly easy to play sitting down because of the pinched in sides. But with a strap standing up the thickness is a killer. Love the non cutaway. Jumbos are very balanced, and in a Rainsong, loud. I think in carbon its more the shape you feel comfortable with.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 AM

I used to have the WS Rainsong model, and currently have a Jumbo Rainsong.
Unfortunately I've never played a Rainsong dread.

The Jumbo is like the WS on steroids. Very balanced sound, just bigger.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
I used to have the WS Rainsong model, and currently have a Jumbo Rainsong.
Unfortunately I've never played a Rainsong dread.

The Jumbo is like the WS on steroids. Very balanced sound, just bigger.
What made you switch? Any regrets?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 AM

Quote:
What made you switch? Any regrets?
The only reason I don't have the WS is that a friend wanted it and traded me a Larrivee D09e for it, with some cash. I think the WS was a great fingerstyle guitar, but didn't have the bass I like in a strummer.

I bought the Jumbo Rainsong later from a fellow AGF'er....

I also have two Composite Acoustic dreads, which sound warmer but not as clear as the Rainsong. Nice strummers though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber