The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-02-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I've just had the Martin Retro strings on for a day, but I've taken them off and gone back to the JP silk and bronze I had on before.

To be honest, I think Silk and Bronze strings give the best sound on carbon fibre for me.
That would be interesting to hear! Do you have any recordings of it?
Old 04-02-2015, 09:46 AM

I'm working on so many songs at the moment that none are up for recording yet, but maybe soon if my girlfriend learns the lyrics to an african song I've learned.

But the major difference to me is it takes of the sharp edge I hear from the pure metal strings coupled with the carbon fibre and SS frets. I play finger picking blues mainly and the mellower bass strings sound much better to my ears. I don't lose much sustain of volume as carbon fibre is so good for projecting and the playability is so much better with the thinner cores and extra flexibility.

I'll try to record soon, but I'm pretty sure you won't appreciate the difference until you try a set yourself. They are nothing like the traditional silk and steel sets. The monels were my last stop, after trying most types of strings, I'm staying with silk and bronze.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 04-02-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

I just tried some Martin silk and phosphor on my Collings OM, they are great to my ears, they will be going on my Shorty next swap! Good to hear they work well Sirwhale ! Thanks
Old 04-04-2015, 02:52 AM

What I don't like about the Martin silk and bronze strings is that 13 gauge on the B string.

I'll try the Ernie Balls next (Earthwood, silk and bronze soft) due to the different gauges and the fact that it is 80/20 and not phosphor.

But I can't complain with the John Pearse, both the 11s and the 12s are great.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-04-2015, 02:58 AM

My 12-54's Retro first impression after the stretching and tuning was; Clean, clear, yet warm sound. Great mood for finger-style. Then I played some rhythm chop style western swing, and I was very impressed with the soulful depth and clarity.

After approx 10 hours, they have settled in, and the same impressive things that pleased my ear, are still pleasing my ear. Carbon fiber guitars are known for they're long sustain, and some say over-ring. The sustain is still impressive, but there is no associated "over-ring"

I've been playing to long to say they are the only string I'll use, but they are my choice for now, and since I ordered another set of Retro's, at least one more string change.

About 6 months ago, I tried the heavier Tony Rices Monels, and did not like them as well. Too dark, and muddy.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 04-13-2015, 10:58 AM

I put a set of Retros (light, 12-54) on my H-WS. A couple of hours in, I am liking them. Distinctly different from the Elixirs. I'm not sure how I'd describe the difference. Warmer, but not as clear. There's a bit of "jangly" that I don't like, and am hoping will fade with time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber