The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-07-2013, 09:51 AM

Default The Hawk

Does anybody know anything about my presumably Japanese jumbo style flat-top guitar bought in the 1960's from Ivor Mairants shop in London. The only mark is a gold transfer saying The Hawk at the top of the neck.
It is a fairly light colour varnish and is also a fairly lightweight guitar.
'
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 AM

Instruments previously built in West Germany during the early 1960s. The Hawk trademark was a brand name used by a UK importer. Instruments imported into England were built by either Framus or Klira in Germany, and are identical to their respective builder's models. (source: The Guru's Guitar Guide by Bacon and Day)
Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Hi Bernie,
Welcome to the AGF--I see that this is your first post. I hope you find this spot a useful and friendly place to hang out.

Feel free to share with us a picture of your Hawk; I'm betting that there are others on this forum who can identify its origins. If you go to the classified section of this forum, you'll find J.R.'s instructions for adding a picture to a post--it's pretty simple, but involves using a web-imaging host such as photobucket.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 11-07-2013, 12:38 PM

Default The Hawk

Here is a picture of The Hawk
Old 11-07-2013, 12:41 PM

NIce picture. Beautiful--and interesting!--guitar!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:19 PM

You can find similar looking models built by Framus called the Blueridge, Texan and Country Western. The pickguards, bridges and fretboard inlays vary from year to year and model to model.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:30 AM

Default Hawk pictures

[/URL]
Old 11-08-2013, 07:33 AM

[/URL]
Old 11-08-2013, 07:35 AM

[/URL]
Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 PM

I have it's twin! Solid top mahogany back and sides nice belly to the back. Impressed stamp to the back of the head 'Made in Japan'
A great work horse admired by most who see and hear it! [as long as I am not playing.]
Usually dismissed as 'Student' of 'Cheaper' or some other implied derogatory term by people who have not seen held or heard when they very rarely appear on the forums!
Framus or other euro maker had nothing to do with these
MIJ when good instruments were sold for next to nothing in the 60s hidden in the plethora of plywood c**p that was peddled by most importers.

Enjoy your good quality inexpensive mid range guitar!
You would pay in excess of £300 for anything approaching this from that well known German equipment dealer.
Yours is only the 4th survivor I have seen and I started with a Framus in 1958
Cheers
Dave
Old 07-03-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian a. View Post
You can find similar looking models built by Framus called the Blueridge, Texan and Country Western. The pickguards, bridges and fretboard inlays vary from year to year and model to model.
They would not be stamped MADE IN JAPAN
Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 AM

Firstly just like to say how pleased I am to have found this forum which I came across as a result of searching the web for details about the Hawk.

I have one too, not a dreadnought, more a parlour style with two "F" holes and rounded/formed cello shaped body. Light in weight, neck meets the body just beyond the 13th fret so great access to the upper octave, absolute minimal fretwear, lovely low action. A really fast guitar to play for those jazz/scat styles.

I have owned this since 1979 and it has spent most of it's life with me in it's case (non original I think). Down sizing has meant it may have to go (have not decided yet) but I have no idea as to it's age or value. It has "Made in W Germany" on a yellow sticker on the reverse of the headstock.

If anyone would like further details for the collective information pool please feel free to ask, I will do my best to help. I am based in the UK.

Here is a link to some images of her

http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/Me...?sort=3&page=1

Many thanks

Last edited by Meadows 61; 09-16-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:24 AM

And the twins are now triplets! I wanted to try out experimenting with open tunings and thought I would get my first guitar out of the attic (where it had resided for over 30 years).

My Hawk is number 12680. It still plays very well. I think I paid £30 on hire purchase for it in around 1967 and it accompanied me to many folk clubs in Rotherham and Sheffield in the late 60s and early 70s.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:28 AM

my mate has one. Since the make is 'The Hawk' we call it 'The The Hawk'.

Actually it is smashing. Loud and resonant and with an action to sort the men from the boys and toughen up the callouses and connective tissues!
Genuinely good sounding guitar though.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:52 AM

Looks a lot like a Harmony Sovereign that were sold in department stores here in the US back in those same days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion