The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Put a little LCD screen in there that you can read your set list and lyrics from!

No help, I know....

Youre a GENIUS!!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustwest2012 View Post
I would plut the preamp back in, sell the guitar, and buy a guitar without built in electronics (a ridiculous concept IMHO, no disrespect intended).
No disrespect taken, but without going into detail, it is an uncommon guitar, and one can't simply go out and get another one with no electronics. Thanks, though.

Anyway, I guess I'll just live with for now, and maybe later I'll find some fun way to patch it up.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:56 PM

Threads like this remind me of why I avoid onboard electronics...

If faced with this situation, I would probably spring for an updated onboard unit. I think that most of the Fishman barn door units use the same size hole, but not certain. L.R. Baggs used to make units that would fit into a Fishman opening (which was a genius move BTW) but I don't think that's the case now. If it's a Taylor ES, they can replace them at the factory and you just have to find a way to love the ES...

I do like the K&K Pure Minis and have them on several guitars, but it would just drive me crazy to look down into a hole on the side of my guitar. Best of luck...
Old 01-17-2013, 06:34 PM

One thought I had was to find a symbol that has meaning to you. (religious, guitar logo, anything...think something like a tatoo), and design it to fit on a metal plate that will fit over the hole. Go to a metal shop that has a CNC cutter and have them fabricate it for you and screw it into the hole using the screw holes that are there for the electronic control panel.
Several colleges and trade schools have CNC cutters...you might be able to pay a student to do it for you for less than a machine shop.
Another route is to have it made w/ a 3D printer, but it will be plastic and not as substantial as a metal plate.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 AM

I agree with a few others in here - turn it into a soundport.
Try if for a while to see if you like the sound.

I always practise with my preamp panel flipped fully open these days. I love the sound.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

I had a guitar with a barn door electronic preamp thingy as well and I hated the feedback I was getting from it, so I removed the preamp and had a guitar builder buddy of mine fashion a sound port out of ebony to fit the opening Nd to cosmetically make it look like a custom feature from the factory. It was relatively inexpensive to do, it looks great AND it serves a purpose.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 01-18-2013, 07:24 AM

How about a custom lute hole cover similar to what MikeD had done? These guys advertise that they make custom shapes, might be worth looking into and I think it would look pretty cool.
http://www.lutehole.com/lutehole.php
Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Seriously.... why don't you cut around the whole into an oval shape, sand it down, and turn it in to a sound port.
This is what I would do. Either that or put an NRA sticker over the hole.

Jim
2011 Taylor 814ce
2015 Taylor 356ce (12 string)
1975 Carlo Robelli SG Custom (Sam Ash model)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
VOX AGA70
Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtime View Post
How about a custom lute hole cover similar to what MikeD had done? These guys advertise that they make custom shapes, might be worth looking into and I think it would look pretty cool.
http://www.lutehole.com/lutehole.php
Hi downtime...

I use lutehole covers as feedback suppressors (which is what they are designed for). They are laser cut, and held in by sponge tabs on glued in appropriate places.

I don't think that is the same use this thread is about, nor would they be curved to fit the curvature of the body if the electronics are inserted into the side.

A plate of similar wood to the original with the sideport in it would be my option (like the picture above).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi downtime...

I use lutehole covers as feedback suppressors (which is what they are designed for). They are laser cut, and held in by sponge tabs on glued in appropriate places.

I don't think that is the same use this thread is about, nor would they be curved to fit the curvature of the body if the electronics are inserted into the side.

A plate of similar wood to the original with the sideport in it would be my option (like the picture above).

I guess it depends on the placement of the hole cut in the side. It is usually in a relatively flat area on the side. I don't believe the barn door electronics come from the factory with any sort of curve.
I
Old 01-18-2013, 11:35 AM

Agree the soundport idea - soundports are great anyway. Something slightly ornate or personal... a symbol or some latticework cut into a nice plate of wood that matches or complements the woods on the guitar could look very good with the right touch, similar to the examples posted above. I think a dark wood like ebony would look very good.

I'm surprised there aren't examples of this kind of thing around already - there must be plenty of people who've jettisoned their barn door electronics and have wanted to tidy the guitar up.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 PM

Could you use one of the controls on the old preamp as a volume control for the K&K. That way you leave it in place.
It might be a good choice if it's possible.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:07 PM

Yes, finally got around to looking at the pics...... No it's not an ideal place for a sound port is it.... If you don't want to replace the electrics (which I get BTW) I'd probably just go with a blanking plate made from suitable material, scratch plate plastic, thin wood laminate, brass or stainless or some such. Whatever you do it ain't gonna be completely invisible but the guitar isn't pristine either from what you say so don't worry too much and just enjoy the guitar for what it is.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 10-19-2015, 04:02 PM

How about some matching pickguard material framed by the rim of the old preamp?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion