The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2019, 11:27 PM

But not by the margin that a Martin of the same vintage would have appreciated.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
But not by the margin that a Martin of the same vintage would have appreciated.
Correct. The marketing budget of Martin and Yairi are yards apart too. Not so, the guitars. In Europe and Asia, I believe the scales are tipped a little better for the Yairi product as it is generally known much better over there.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

My 1976 DY-74 probably cost around $500 (with a good case) in 1976.

I paid $500 for it 10 years ago.

If I sold it tomorrow I would expect to get $500 for it. It shows its age, but sounds sooo good.

Anyway, how many guitars hold their value like that? That's not a rhetorical question, I'd really like to know.

Interesting thread to this Yairi fan. I've had 7-8 of them, including a couple that I'm still kicking myself for letting them get away.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL View Post
My 1976 DY-74 probably cost around $500 (with a good case) in 1976.

I paid $500 for it 10 years ago.

If I sold it tomorrow I would expect to get $500 for it. It shows its age, but sounds sooo good.

Anyway, how many guitars hold their value like that? That's not a rhetorical question, I'd really like to know.

Interesting thread to this Yairi fan. I've had 7-8 of them, including a couple that I'm still kicking myself for letting them get away.
The answer is very few. Even yours didn't hold its value when we look at what $500.00 is worth today compared to 1976 or even 10 years ago.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Henry View Post
Several months ago I saw a glowing video of the recent Yairi DYRM70 SB Masterworks all solid 12 fret dread by Acoustic Guitar magazine. The retail price was listed at $3799 and street price of $3000. I saw a Guitar Center ad for new ones at $2000. I decided to spring, knowing that I had 45 days for a return if I was dissatisfied.

The guitar turned out to exceed my expectations. A truly lightweight rosewood dread, it compares favorably tonally to an old Gibson rosewood jumbo. My only complaints are a glued on heel (specs said one piece neck) and too low action with tusq saddle. I decided to shrug off the heel issue and make a new bone compensated saddle. So I got the guitar new for the price of a used recent issue D-18. I could have gotten a used one on Reverb for $1300, but I'm satisfied enough with guitar for me to have bonded with the deal I got.

I like the Yairi so much that I sold my Gallagher Custom rosewood dread to a friend.

I was also able to score a very good 1970s Lo Prinzi LR-15 from GC for $650 a month ago. It turned out to be such an awesome guitar for the money that I figure to have cancelled out whatever depreciation I might have incurred on the Yairi.

I also own a DYMR70SB, as well as a DYM60HD and a DYM80e. That DYMR70SB just seems to melt into my hands every time I play it. It is a truly magical instrument. All of them are wonderful. I also own a 2016 D18, which is a wonderful guitar that almost never gets played, which is truly a shame. I have too many, and I ask myself which I should sell and the D18 is the first I’d lean towards, but the lifetime warranty that I’d lose gives me pause. It’s a terrible predicament to find oneself in.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Pious, I had a beautiful DY-85 from 1978 that I sold recently. Hated to let it go, but it wasn't getting played, and I have this belief that guitars were made to be played, so if I have a really stellar instrument -- and this one was -- that I don't play, I sell it to someone else who will love and care for it.

scott memmer
Old 02-21-2019, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman60 View Post
I bought my DY62C because of Monty Montgomery and personally it's a great guitar regardless of what name is on the headstock. These are well made, high quality guitars.
https://youtu.be/PjpkVv9OrZQ?t=252

Monty settles down slightly here and let's his freak flag fly!
Old 02-21-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I've enjoyed reading all 9 pages of posts (while having dinner!). It's fascinating to be able to "go back in time" here on AGF and read the different views. And, to see that some of you who posted then are still posting today - congrats!! I love seeing that bit of continuity.

I've had to learn a lot about budgets and finance 'on the job' over the years, so these cost/price comments intrigue me. And as was pointed out, $### 40 years ago is not the same as $### today.

Thus, a $500 Yairi in 2009 that would have been = to $1885.

And the same one from 1976 would go for $2281 today (these are the "adjusted for inflation" calculations).

My first guitar was one of the inexpensive Alvarez laminates from 1977. I still have it. It's a decent beater...... I paid ~$250 (new; tax + chipboard case).
$1038 today, yikes. I was 17 years old and for me, it was a huge deal, making that purchase. My brother in law helped me (and then gave me lots of free lessons).

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 02-21-2019, 09:09 PM

Yairi is one guitar among several which can often be purchased at attractive prices. Lo Prinzi is another. I avail myself of this situation to purchase quality guitars cheaply.

My current performance guitars are a 70s Lo Prinzi I paid $650 for, a Breedlove Oregon Concert I got for $800, and a Yairi DYRM70SB I bought new for $2,000. They are all top tier soundwise. They refuse to share time with my Martin OOO MMV which sits forelornly in the closet.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:24 PM

Monte Little Wing WoW!

Last edited by amohr; 02-21-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 11:31 PM

Went to the local music store and they had an Alvarez Yairi OM model I played, price tag of $2500, quite a nice guitar. The store owner chatted with me and told me when the elder Yairi died a few years back, he'd left some instructions to a pile of wood in a parking lot he had hidden. Apparently it was a treasure trove of old, the kind that simply is no longer available. So it's being used now in the newer guitars by Yairi and some of the wood was sent to Alvarez in China. Don't know the accuracy of thus story, but have to admit it's making me lust after that guitar he had for sale.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:26 AM

I've a 1978 Dy74 that I came across in 1989. Had it restored a few years back, new nut, replaced a few frets. I don't play it a ton, but it still gets use.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
Went to the local music store and they had an Alvarez Yairi OM model I played, price tag of $2500, quite a nice guitar. The store owner chatted with me and told me when the elder Yairi died a few years back, he'd left some instructions to a pile of wood in a parking lot he had hidden. Apparently it was a treasure trove of old, the kind that simply is no longer available. So it's being used now in the newer guitars by Yairi and some of the wood was sent to Alvarez in China. Don't know the accuracy of thus story, but have to admit it's making me lust after that guitar he had for sale.
I read the same and I believe it is somewhere on their website or one of their YouTube videos, so it seems legit.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGWelch View Post
That's one of the models of the new Honduran line, and it was a store of Honduran Mahogany he had squirreled away, and it's what enticed me to buy the bluegrass dreadnought from that line, the DYM60HD. Stunning guitar.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:31 AM

My only problem with them is they use epoxy for the neck. That just ruins it for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion