The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 07:18 PM

I’m trying to figure out if the fretboard and bridge on my 2005 Martin Custom OMC that I just bought used is Richlite/ Micarta or ebony. Truthfully, I can’t say for sure. The shop where I bought and commissioned it new back in ‘05 says it’s ebony. I have no reason to doubt them. But, I don’t see wood grain.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:35 PM

Karen, as you’ve undoubtedly learned by now, Richlite is very stable material that has been used as a fingerboard material for decades now. Its use by Martin and Gibson is relatively recent, perhaps for the past twelve or fifteen years, but other guitar manufacturers have used it since around the 1930’s, notably Rickenbacker (or so I’ve been told.). It’s been especially popular when used for bass guitar fingerboards, which makes sense, knowing how long those have to be and how small most ebony boards are.

Some players don’t like it, naturally, but it works quite well for the purpose.

whm
Old 02-16-2019, 08:33 PM

I have a Richlite fretboard on my Martin GPCPA3. It plays fast and very smooth, I can not tell the difference between that Richlite fretboard and the ebony fretboard on my Taylor322ce, the Martin 000-18 ebony board, or G&L ASAT Special semi-hollow (yes that's an electric guitar, but the fretboard feel is the same). Taylor has purchased it's own Ebony tree farm and is developing it for future planting/harvest. I think they are the only guitar making company that has done that - all others are buying their Ebony wood from various third party suppliers. Taylor will insulate themselves from the future price increase in Ebony wood, others are switching to manmade material like Richlite. Many reports as well about Richlite not chipping like ebony when removing frets for a refret job, apparently Richlite refrets very well. It's the future, or something like it...

Last edited by doublescale1; 02-16-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-17-2019, 10:49 AM

I just love my Martin OOJT . To be honest it has to me a great playing and feeling Richlite fretboard . When I bought it I didn't realise I just wipe it down with a clean cotton cloth after playing , no problems . Good luck
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 02-17-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I certainly can't tell the difference when playing.

I would not buy a guitar with it, though. At least, not while I can still buy guitars with wood fretboards. It works perfectly fine. But it is not wood.

Fake wood.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
Odd really because one shouldn't be fretting hard enough to feel the fretboard.
With narrow, short 'vintage'-style frets as seen on, for example, Fender 50's/60s replica models, you don't have a choice but to feel the fretboard.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Gotta love these threads. It's always "Give Me Wood Or Give Me Death" vs "Here's A List Of Richlite's Many Advantages." To my knowledge, not a single mind has ever been changed.

But by all means, carry on.
Ah but many minds remain open.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Fake wood.
Not at all; the fibrous content of phenolic resins includes linen, cotton and paper. I believe those are made of wood-based organics. I'm surprised by the objections to phenolic resins by guitarists whose instruments have plastic binding, bridge pins, pickguards and in most cases non-organic finishes and glues.
https://www.emcoplastics.com/phenoli...en-reinforced/

Last edited by AndrewG; 02-17-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
With narrow, short 'vintage'-style frets as seen on, for example, Fender 50's/60s replica models, you don't have a choice but to feel the fretboard.
Right, Okay.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Who would have thought that my innocent little question would draw almost 1500 viewers and a debate! When I have the opportunity, I'll give the guitars a whirl. If I really like everything else about the guitar, I won't care what the fingerboard is made of. I've been on a "hunt" for awhile for too long. It's staring to drive me nuts.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
...notably Rickenbacker (or so I’ve been told.)...
The Rickenbacker connection is actually Bakelite, Wade - their lap steels were made from Bakelite in the 1940s (and maybe even earlier).
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-17-2019, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Fake wood.
I think it would only be 'fake wood' if a manufacturer was trying to pass it off as the real thing.

So far, in all the many discussions we've had here on the subject, I don't think there's been any evidence of that.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-17-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Not at all; the fibrous content of phenolic resins includes linen, cotton and paper. I believe those are made of wood-based organics. I'm surprised by the objections to phenolic resins by guitarists whose instruments have plastic binding, bridge pins, pickguards and in most cases non-organic finishes and glues.
https://www.emcoplastics.com/phenoli...en-reinforced/
I don't have an objection to phenolic resins, except when they use them for something that I expect to be made of wood.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 AM

Default Richlite Fingerboard?

Got to reply , I have noticed that the strings on my Martin OODB Jeff Tweedy fitted with a Richlite bridge and fingerboard last twice as long as my other wooden fretboard fitted guitars . I thought at first that this was purely my imagination but I've monitored this and it's correct . My normal guitars are restrung every 1/2 months but the Martin fitted with the new SP PBronze normal strings last a lot longer . The only downside to Ritchlite I've noticed is that the fretboard needs wiping down a bit more that normal after playing . If Martin one of the worlds best and respected builders didn't believe in Richlite I don't think that they would use it and put their reputation on the line
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion