The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2019, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Default Low E String Rattle

I have a Bourgeois D42 that has developed a rattle of some sort when I hit the low string by itself. I don't hear it on any other strings and I don't hear it if i have the low e string fretted, just when it's by itself. It doesn't appear that that the low e string is hitting any of the frets, it sounds like it coming from somewhere around the sound hole. Is there anything I can check?
Old 02-09-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
I have a Bourgeois D42 that has developed a rattle of some sort when I hit the low string by itself. I don't hear it on any other strings and I don't hear it if i have the low e string fretted, just when it's by itself. It doesn't appear that that the low e string is hitting any of the frets, it sounds like it coming from somewhere around the sound hole. Is there anything I can check?
If your sure it’s not buzzing on the fret, try pulling the string out and make sure it’s solidly beneath the bridge pin.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Ill give it a try, thanks.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:38 AM

I had a rattle a couple weeks ago that turned out to be a loose nut on a tuner causing the washer to vibrate. Drove me nuts trying to find it. Shake your guitar and see if you can hear your noise.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:16 AM

Check the tuner nut first as it is the simplest to fix. Then the nut. It is unlikely to be anything else. You could try another string, lighter or heavier.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
If your sure it’s not buzzing on the fret, try pulling the string out and make sure it’s solidly beneath the bridge pin.
This was my thought as I had a similar misadventure. The rattle was creating a neat sitar-like sound I could live with until string changes.
I trust the directional sense of the OPs ears, so I think tuning machines or nut is unlikely, but sometimes we're all fooled.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 PM

Default Rattlers

Ball ends. Could be any one of the 6 under the bridge. Pull each string up and see if you get one that snaps up a bit, and see if the pins are snug as well.
Truss rod nut. Could have just come a bit loose due to falling humidity. Tweak it just enough to see if it snugs up.
Tuner(s). Yes they come loose when the guitar dries! Tighten down the top nuts on all 6 (if equipped), carefully and not too tight, and the knob screws as well.
The string itself may also be flawed.
Strap pins or end pin jacks...may be loose.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the help on this, I told out the bridge pin, pulled up on the string, and put the bridge pin back in. Problem solved.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion