The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
I am guessing the D-18 Golden Era is far less popular out in the wild than the AGF and the UMGF would have one believe. I haven't seen one hanging for sale since the updated D-18 came out, and frankly, the newer D-18s are so good I don't feel like I'm missing out on much. .
I've played new D-18's and D-18GE back to back several times, and they're not even close in my opinion. GE is much more of a guitar in every sense. A whole different level. New D-18's to me sounded little too modern and not enough fundamental punch. GE's on the other hand can hang with best authentics. At least that is the impression I got.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
I've played new D-18's and D-18GE back to back several times, and they're not even close in my opinion. GE is much more of a guitar in every sense. A whole different level. New D-18's to me sounded little too modern and not enough fundamental punch. GE's on the other hand can hang with best authentics. At least that is the impression I got.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "too modern" sounding? Does that mean "warmer, more sustain, more brilliance, and more chime" ? Or is it mostly the difference between Sitka and Adi out of the box ? Speaking only for myself, I prefer the former...which is probably why I sold my OM-28 Authentic after only 6 mos of ownership and dove headfirst into the wonderfully lush voicing of Santa Cruz guitars.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-24-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "too modern" sounding? Does that mean "warmer, more sustain, more brilliance, and more chime" ? Or is it mostly the difference between Sitka and Adi out of the box ? Speaking only for myself, I prefer the former...which is probably why I sold my OM-28 Authentic after only 6 mos of ownership and dove headfirst into the wonderfully lush voicing of Santa Cruz guitars.
D-18 was definitely not warmer. If anything it was brighter and in a Taylor-like way. Little more overtones and sounded lot wetter. Not dry enough for my taste. GE was more punchy, woody, fundamental. Lot dryer and louder as well. Has that pure essence of a Martin flapicker.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
"Not even close" might mean one thing on a guitar forum where members obsess over seemingly inconsequential details and another thing altogether out in the real world where people are actually buying -- or not buying -- these guitars.

And while I've not played the elusive D-18GE, I've played enough fine guitars to stand by my opinion that the humble standard model more than holds its own with more expensive guitars.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
GE's on the other hand can hang with best authentics. At least that is the impression I got.
My D-18GE was a beautiful sounding guitar. But my D-18 Authentic is a whole other level. I've played a few D-18 standards and I wouldn't say that they aren't close to a D-18GE. Very different. Not necessarily less of a guitar.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
D-18 was definitely not warmer. If anything it was brighter and in a Taylor-like way. Little more overtones and sounded lot wetter. Not dry enough for my taste. GE was more punchy, woody, fundamental. Lot dryer and louder as well. Has that pure essence of a Martin flapicker.
There you go... sounds like we both like vintage voiced instruments, but are on the opposite end of the spectrum with regards to overtones.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
If anything it was brighter and in a Taylor-like way. Little more overtones and sounded lot wetter. Not dry enough for my taste. GE was more punchy, woody, fundamental. Lot dryer and louder as well.
I did compare the D-18GE and D-18 and I think I agree with 220 volts.

However I liked the D-18 better and bought it. I don't flatpick and prefer it by far to a D-18GE.

A simple G run tells you the D-18 is from a slightly different breed from an HD-28 or a D-18GE. I think it's less a bluegrass country guitar and more a folk guitar.

Note that I like it way better than my Taylor. Curiously I think my Taylor can do the bluegrass thing... It can do everything and sound good on everything. That its main adavantage and main drawback. If I feel good, bad, cool or stress it will always sound the same... The Martin takes what you give and put it back to you. Sometimes it sounds bad but it sounds like you.

I love the D-18 standard.

Cuki

My 2 cents.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-24-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I did compare the D-18GE and D-18 and I think I agree with 220 volts.

However I liked the D-18 better and bought it. I don't flatpick and prefer it by far to a D-18GE.

A simple G run tells you the D-18 is from a slightly different breed from an HD-28 or a D-18GE. I think it's less a bluegrass country guitar and more a folk guitar.

Note that I like it way better than my Taylor. Curiously I think my Taylor can do the bluegrass thing... It can do everything and sound good on everything. That its main adavantage and main drawback. If I feel good, bad, cool or stress it will always sound the same... The Martin takes what you give and put it back to you. Sometimes it sounds bad but it sounds like you.

I love the D-18 standard.

Cuki

My 2 cents.
Yep. GE is definitely a flat picking monster. Bluegrass machine in my opinion. I do agree that D-18 is more versatile.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

I had plans to sell my D18GE because of the neck, but after a while, I have come to actually like the neck now, so I decided to keep it. I have played it beside the standard D18 (post 2012) and although both are GREAT guitars, and I like the neck on the D18 better), the tone of the GE was more along the lines of what I wanted in a guitar. Since a lot of my music is more bluegrass oriented, I like the dry and woody tone of the GE better.

Now, as to the broader question of why Martin sells so many variations, I really don't know. I would think they would be better off reducing their models but offering more competitive custom shop options.

Todd
Old 01-25-2017, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

I think profitability at the low end comes from high volume sales while profitability at the high end comes from moderate volume and more profit per unit. I suspect that some models get caught in the middle, not generating strong enough volume or enough per-unit profit. Those are likely good candidates for elimination.

Those of us here tend to love the good stuff. But we're a small portion of the guitar buying public. If what we consider a great guitar doesn't have the volume or per-unit profit to keep it afloat, it gets discontinued, whether we like it or not. Some of those models will eventually show up in the used market, of course, but there were never all that many of them (the high-end models) in the first place, in most cases. Low-end, high volume models that get discontinued should be fairly easy to find on the used market over time.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
When I bought my D18Ge last year, I played a bunch of different guitars at Elderly. I went there thinking HD28V. The D18 series just worked better for me. The Golden Era was everything the Standard D18 was and more. Thank god they are still making this one though...

ES-335
'63 Relic Strat Willcutt
Gibson SG W/ Maestro
Old 03-16-2017, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Jon @ MFG will order most any discontinued Martin model thru the custom shop. And does have "in house" versions as was mentioned earlier. I just did a trade with Jon and he has my 12 fret D-18GE in his used section...talk about a monster?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-06-2019, 09:23 PM

likely some of the discontinued models are so because of the content of materials subject to cites regulations..ie rosewood back/sides that are subject to severe import/export restrictions and simply cannot be manufactured without mountains of red tape, if at all, and certainly cannot be exported thus limiting worldwide sales.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:58 PM

Not to worry guys. If you look on the used market, you’re likely to find dozens of the discontinued models for sale for much less than their original prices. Martin produced 100s if not 1000s of Marquis & GEs over the years. Plenty enough to find if you really want one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion