The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2016, 08:14 AM

I think overall Gibson acoustics have moved on well since Ren left.

Ren did a great job in getting the unit back to basics and focusing on what Gibsons acoustics are all about. I think he re-created the foundation of how to build a great Gibson acoustic.

His only real innovation was the Songwriter - but it was a good one.

If you look since his departure Gibson did a marvellous job in re- introducing the J-35 and then launching the J-15 which have proven to be great at driving penetration of Gibson acoustics

They also had winners in their limited editions with the Jackson Browne and Shazza SJ, while continued to evolve the high margin True Vintage line with the terrified tops and charging even more for them.

Id say overall they've done real well in developing the acoustic line, but no doubt Ren was the one that got them back on track and focused.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 03-29-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
Normally I agree with just about everything you say, Gibby, but I really would like to get my hands on another of Ren's innovations, the L-150. That was a really great guitar. It just didn't sell, so Gibson dropped it. Ren came up with a lot of great models that just didn't sell well because people wanted the classic, iconic Gibson models once the quality had returned, rather than trying something new and different.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
I think overall Gibson acoustics have moved on well since Ren left.

Ren did a great job in getting the unit back to basics and focusing on what Gibsons acoustics are all about. I think he re-created the foundation of how to build a great Gibson acoustic.

If you look since his departure Gibson did a marvellous job in re- introducing the J-35 and then launching the J-15 which have proven to be great at driving penetration of Gibson acoustics

They also had winners in their limited editions with the Jackson Browne and Shazza SJ, while continued to evolve the high margin True Vintage line with the terrified tops and charging even more for them.

Id say overall they've done real well in developing the acoustic line, but no doubt Ren was the one that got them back on track and focused.
Wow, a lot of misinformation in this post. Ren was responsible for the Jackson Browne model; he had also worked on the J-35. And he came up with the True Vintage line; the torrified came after he left, but it's called Vintage, not True Vintage.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Here is the "Fender Custom Shop" at Guild when they were in New Hartford, CT...you will note that Ren is at the end in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc5IYSKmqmU

Sad what wound up happening to those Kingman's...

But what can you expect from a boss who makes polo shirts and cheezeburgers.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:11 PM

Does anyone know what year was the last production year for Ren with Gibson? Since this post was made in early 2012, I'm guessing 2011? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 02-01-2019, 01:28 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
Does anyone know what year was the last production year for Ren with Gibson? Since this post was made in early 2012, I'm guessing 2011? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.
Rhythm, I believe it was much earlier than that. He took some time off in between each gig to hang out and hunt and fish in MT as I understand it.

sm
Old 02-01-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Rhythm, I believe it was much earlier than that. He took some time off in between each gig to hang out and hunt and fish in MT as I understand it.

sm
Thanks for your knowledge. I'm looking for another AJ and I think I'd like to get one from the 'Ren era'.
Thanks!

My YouTube Grooves
Old 02-01-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ashton View Post
Here is the "Fender Custom Shop" at Guild when they were in New Hartford, CT...you will note that Ren is at the end in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc5IYSKmqmU

Sad what wound up happening to those Kingman's...

But what can you expect from a boss who makes polo shirts and cheezeburgers.
That was tough to watch. Of course, the machinery and people were all used to build Ovation guitars before Fender bought the plant in 2007, and then mainly Guild guitars until the first closing in 2014. Now it's all gone.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AronW View Post
I've met Ren and hung out with him while at the 'Gibson Acoustic University' I went to a few years ago, very nice and humble guy. His workshop is very small, he showed us a number of guitars he was working on, amazing stuff.

I got to sit and talk with him while at dinner a couple nights, he was saying how much he respected Taylor guitar, and had wanted to try numerous things that they do, but he knew he'd never be able to fully at Gibson. The canadian Gibsons I'd be willing to bet were designed by Ren, he had wanted to do bolt on necks, UV cured poly finishes.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Gibson now, I've said for the past 5 years that the guitars made right now will be looked at as another golden era for Gibson, maybe we just saw the end of it
As far as I know the Canadian Gibsons (marketed as the 'Songmaker' series), were simply Gibson's attempt at making a cost-effective guitar, built in the Garrison factory after Gibson bought Garrison Guitars in 2007. I played a couple of them and they were truly awful; just appalling duds. I doubt that Ferguson had anything to do with them. Little wonder they disappeared rapido.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks for your knowledge. I'm looking for another AJ and I think I'd like to get one from the 'Ren era'.
Thanks!
Yes, that was a fine era, for sure. It took him quite a long time on the front end to fix everything that was broken in Bozeman, but once he did it hummed along pretty nicely.

BTW, depending on what you're looking for, there were a couple of reissues of the original "Banner" J-45 and a couple other models during his tenure. Some of them even used hide glue and all the original materials and specs. One of the J-45 reissues went by the name of "Legend." I saw one on the internet the other day for less than $4,000. Perhaps worth a look.

best,
scott
Old 02-01-2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Yes, that was a fine era, for sure. It took him quite a long time on the front end to fix everything that was broken in Bozeman, but once he did it hummed along pretty nicely.

BTW, depending on what you're looking for, there were a couple of reissues of the original "Banner" J-45 and a couple other models during his tenure. Some of them even used hide glue and all the original materials and specs. One of the J-45 reissues went by the name of "Legend." I saw one on the internet the other day for less than $4,000. Perhaps worth a look.

best,
scott
I suppose my 2002 AJ is right in that sweet spot then! There's a 2006 and 2008 that I might grab. I'm not really interested in the J-45. In fact, just bought a brand new J-45 Vintage this fall and sold it last month. I dig my AJ, there's no better dread out there, imo. I want another. And another. And another.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 02-02-2019, 11:09 AM

Default Timing is everything

Thanks for resurrecting this old thread. I enjoy the Gibson history as well as the respect for the talents of Ren Ferguson. Now I understand why my Guild sounds so good.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:03 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I suppose my 2002 AJ is right in that sweet spot then! There's a 2006 and 2008 that I might grab. I'm not really interested in the J-45. In fact, just bought a brand new J-45 Vintage this fall and sold it last month. I dig my AJ, there's no better dread out there, imo. I want another. And another. And another.
Let us (me) know when you snag one. I don't officially own a Gibson slope dread, but own a great Eastman J-45 clone and a couple excellent Epiphone Masterbilt clones. One day I will acquire a genuine Banner model, but this is not any time soon.

happy hunting,
scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion