The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-12-2019, 02:43 AM
Charter Member

I haven’t had luck selling on AGF lately. I had in the past...

Too bad, because the guitars that I could not sell on AGF I sold on reverb, Craigslist, for the same price or higher. Fees suck, but oh well. Another route has been consignment. The fee is high, but it’s hassle free.

I sold a standard recent bird consigned at Russo’s. I couldn’t sell it here for $1800. They sold it for $2200 in a week. I paid 25%. Still came out the same as if I sold here for $1800, and had to deal with fees and shipping.

I agree with the OP that AGF members “want the deal”. I get it too. I don’t begrudge. It’s just become more of a hassle as a hobby GAS guy... time to dial it back.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:21 AM

I think it should be considered that pretty much exclusively buyer and seller rarely disclose the final price which is appropriate in all respect. I usually compare to Reverb and often find that the price is pretty competitive or less on here. Speaking of mostly your typical Martin, Taylor, Gibson under 3 grand.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

I've had relatively good luck buying and selling in our classifieds. Like Brendan said...most of us who have been around here for a while have a pretty good idea of valuation. There are great deals and some ridiculous offers. But for my two cents it's still a great place to sell and shop for used guitars. Always good stuff in the classifieds. Best I stay out of there!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-12-2019, 07:11 AM

I purchased my first "serious" guitar on AGF last year and in my mind got a great deal. Model I had chosen, excellent condition, half of new price, seller with good reputation and 2 days from start of my search.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Love the classified !!

I have purchased a variety of instruments and gear from the AGF classified.
All good experiences and fair to great values. I would not own some if I had not found them here as they are not common in Florida (i.e Webber).

Lee
Old 01-12-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade63 View Post
BTW, I got a good deal on a Martin D 18 here a few years ago for 1600, don't get me wrong, that's my favorite guitar. I'm speaking simply from a bargain hunter perspective and wondering if others have found themselves there Maybe there's no point to this post except that.
There’s always a cheaper option. Those sellers know why. Some buyers find out why.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-12-2019, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

I am amazed at the quality of guitars listed here. There have been lots of threads about agf classifieds reflecting a soft market, with many great guitars not selling, often at very attractive pricing.

Sure, a few sellers think bumping overpriced guitars is a workable marketing strategy but those listings just make all the good deals stand out even more.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 01-12-2019, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

I’ve gotten some great deals on the forum....just gotta be patient. Also, it’s a great place to trade up or down as needed....can’t do that on EBay! Agreed that the quality of guitars available can’t be matched...and it is a community so the trust that exists between members is amazing!!!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
2004 Tim McKnight "Skeeter"
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 01-12-2019, 08:29 AM

Were it not for the AGF classifieds, and the knowledge of the members, I would have never been reunited with my ‘78 Gurian, 27 years after I sold it.

For that reason alone I love the classifieds..
Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

I too have gotten some great deals in the Classifieds here. And successfully sold as well. It definitely helps when a guitar is priced right. Members here know the market, and anything priced too high isn't going too move; equally, any offer too low isn't going to work because the seller knows they just have to wait for the right (realistic) buyer.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
No problems with the classifieds but I do blame the AGF for my stockpile of untried strings that I seem to purchase every time I read a good review.

I made a 2019 resolution to work my way through them and not buy anymore.

I've already broken it.
Ditto here. I don't have a GAS problem, I have a string problem. If I didn't buy another set of strings I could probably equip 3 acoustics for two years or more with the string sets I have sitting "on deck."

I have vowed to myself I will not purchase more strings until I am out. I will fail at this resolution.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 01-12-2019, 10:28 AM

I have bought a total of 14 guitars here. I think I’ve sold 7 here. I understand the OP and agree.

I tend to do the same thing when I sell a guitar here. Hey, I’m a long time established member with Street cred!!!! When you buy one of my guitars you know it’s been properly set up by a real luither. You know it’s in a properly humidified environment. You know these aren’t toys that were abused. So I ask a bit more. Do I get more? Nope......but I try.

We all do it. No big deal. When you sell, you try to get the best price. When you buy, you try to get the best price. Let the negotiations begin!
Old 01-12-2019, 12:11 PM

To quote ahorsewithnonam in part:

"..... when I sell a guitar here. Hey, I’m a long time established member with Street cred!!!!
When you buy one of my guitars you know it’s.... "

One thing I really like about the AGF classifieds is the "street cred"..
when other members write in offering support of the seller.
The reputation of the seller, as indicated by peers, is a real benefit to buying here.
It holds much more weight than 100% positive feedback over on the bay.

I wouldn't care how nice the pictures or how low the price, if a new member just joined.
Granted, we all must start somewhere and I welcome all new members,
but give me a track record, be known around here, and I'll feel more comfortable.

I've bought (and sold) a number of times here, and the only two problems were when description words didn't match condition.
"Excellent Condition" is a somewhat variable term, and only twice has my interpretation been higher than the sellers.
But then, I'm VERY fussy about such things.

My point being, the support of our community is of paramount importance to me when buying and/or selling.
And AGF Classifieds is my first choice.

Last edited by woodbox; 01-12-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmf View Post
You overpaid!
Ah but I got a good one, what's a few dollars extra?
Old 01-12-2019, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

I agree, I love AGF and have listed a bunch of guitars on here, but have only sold a few. I've been able to sell for much more on Reverb.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion