The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-02-2018, 07:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Yo, Methos;

How's that not thinking going? Just asking.
Actually, really well! I think it's probably because I've already got the custom X20 (and the Martin, of course) so I'm flush with guitar I love. While I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the finished product, it doesn't seem to be haunting me like the last time. Granted, it's very early in the process and this early last time didn't bother me either. It was when the delays began occurring and then the shipping nightmare really drove me near the edge!

Nice try though...
Old 08-03-2018, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Yeah, other people's scabs!
Another image I gotta block out...darn scabbage.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Guest 928

Methos;

If I were you, I'd be pretty upset with the Captain and the Kramster--suggesting that you're scabby. How dare they! Lo siento.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Methos;

If I were you, I'd be pretty upset with the Captain and the Kramster--suggesting that you're scabby. How dare they! Lo siento.
Ohhh - a swing and a miss!
Old 08-03-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
It will have a custom neck carve and scale just like my X20, so soft V with 24.6" scale . . .
. . . I much prefer the Emerald soft V carve to the Martin Mod V.
Hi Methos,

I have been thinking about getting an emerald as a gigging instrument.
I play a Martin OMC28 LJ which has a modified V neck profile which I really like.

Can you tell me how the standard Emerald neck profile compares and why you had a custom neck profile done?
Thanks,

Aaron
Old 08-04-2018, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Methos;

Oh Evan! To use the Irish vernacular (if it doesn't get auto-quashed) you are ever the ****e-stirrer!

Lol - nope, even the Irish version get's quashed!!!
Old 08-04-2018, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trion12 View Post
Hi Methos,

I have been thinking about getting an emerald as a gigging instrument.
I play a Martin OMC28 LJ which has a modified V neck profile which I really like.

Can you tell me how the standard Emerald neck profile compares and why you had a custom neck profile done?
Thanks,

Aaron
HI Aaron! Actually, I'm unique qualified to discuss your question as my other guitar is a Martin 000-18GE with a mod V neck! I, too, like the Martin mod V necks. At least on their short scale guitars. I had a 000-28VS which is a long scale with a 1 13/16" nut width which I didn't like as it was just a bit too beefy. But then again I did like the 00-28VS which was a short scale but with an even wider 1 7/8" nut width - go figure.

Anywho, I had a Santa Cruz 00 that had a soft V neck which was my favorite neck carve of all time. It's an ever so slightly thinner neck than the Martin mod V with a much less pronounced V, less material at the apex of the V. That eventually got sold off and then I had a Martin 00-18VS UMGF and a Santa Cruz 1929 00. The Martin was a standard mod V and the SC 1929 was their standard V neck. The SC 1929 standard V necks have a more pronounced V at the apex but are still a little thinner than the Martin mod V's.

Enter the first custom Emerald order. In my initial discussions with them I was informed that they had never done a V neck and they had no access to a Santa Cruz V neck. They said they could send me a moulding compound to make a mould of my Santa Cruz neck. The problem for me was I wanted a neck similar to the first Santa Cruz I had with the soft V. So I made the mold of the 1929 V neck and then instructed Alistair to just trim down some of the material on the apex of the V, figuring that would give me in effect a soft V. And it did exactly that.

It's kind of hard to describe. The Martin mod V feels very beefy in my hands. It's like a baseball bat but with the V removes some of that side material while leaving the total thickness of the neck. You feel like you've got some substantial wood in your hand. The Emerald on the other hand is more... delicate and understated. It's like a Taylor neck but with just a little more thickness at the apex. I can tell you that it's VERY comfortable. I can go back and forth easily between the two but the Emerald neck plays easier, it just seems to melt into my hand. My hand seems to just kind of float along underneath whereas on the Martin mod V my hand has a (pardon the pun) handful and seems to work harder.

Comparing the Emerald soft V neck to their standard neck, the Emerald standard is a very rounded C or D shape. Not too thick and relatively comfortable but I really hate rounded necks. I did find it a little more comfortable than say a regular Rainsong neck (also very rounded) but not much. I had a fellow AGFer come over with this standard X20 and we A/B'd them and I much preferred the Emerald soft V to their standard neck. I've played a lot of different carbon fiber guitars and pretty much hate all their necks which is why I need to go custom. Sure, it's a pricey upgrade but if I could only afford one upgrade on my Emerald's, the neck would come before the woody top and other things that are just for aesthetics.
Old 08-04-2018, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

I went for a custom neck on my X20 as well (based on a Collings OM) as I don’t like D profiles either.
The profile I asked for was slightly too deep and wide compared to the mold. Alistair managed to come close to the dimensions I sent, even if it’s not a perfect match up the neck (but close enough).

If you send Alistair the neck profile for your Martin (dimensions at 1st, 9th and 12th fret for instance) he should be able to tell you how easy it would be to duplicate.
Old 08-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
I went for a custom neck on my X20 as well (based on a Collings OM) as I don’t like D profiles either.
The profile I asked for was slightly too deep and wide compared to the mold. Alistair managed to come close to the dimensions I sent, even if it’s not a perfect match up the neck (but close enough).

If you send Alistair the neck profile for your Martin (dimensions at 1st, 9th and 12th fret for instance) he should be able to tell you how easy it would be to duplicate.
Unlike a Santa Cruz and Collings, I would think that Alistair would have access to a Martin mod V somewhere near him. Worth asking.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:09 PM

Thanks Methos and Tof.

Unlike you Methos, I like a beefy neck.

I have had hand problems and need something that I can wrap my hand around and that will fit nicely into the gap between the thumb and first finger. i.e.i need that support for hand health.
A slim neck won't do it for me.
A Taylor neck with a bit more thickness as you describe it should be OK. I owned a Taylor a dozen years ago and the neck profile was OK for me, so unless Taylor neck profiles have changed since then that could work for me.

Maybe I can get Alistair to send me dimensions . . .

Aaron

Last edited by trion12; 08-04-2018 at 03:15 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber