The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2020, 07:32 AM

Video links are messed up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I've done two FaceBook Live shows.

In this first one, I plugged guitars and a mic directly into my Bose S1 and the sound was picked up by my iPad microphone. The sync is off (as it is in many of these I've seen), but the sound is pretty good. Very simple setup and it worked pretty well. FB Live only does 360p unfortunately.

In my second video, I went through my pedalboard, so a Boss AD10 pedal for the guitar and a TC Helicon Harmony pedal for the vocal. I felt my guitar was too boomy in this one and it actually fed back a couple of times. Perhaps the S1 was too loud.

Over 1200 views on the first and over 500 on the one I did last night. While I was actually live, each show had about 350 viewers. It was pretty cool.

Show #1:
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fdav id.eidelberg.5%2Fposts%2F10218462634050669&width=5 00" width="500" height="745" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Show #2
<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fda vid.eidelberg.5%2Fvideos%2F10218490183939399%2F&sh ow_text=1&width=560" width="560" height="382" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
Old 03-25-2020, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I've done two FaceBook Live shows..

Over 1200 views on the first and over 500 on the one I did last night. While I was actually live, each show had about 350 viewers. It was pretty cool.

That's great! Also thanks for mentioning the FB video resolution, I knew it was low, but didn't know how low.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:43 AM

Keep us posted here Chris. If the I-Rig2 plus a small mixer does the trick, I'm all in. Only thing I noticed is I will also need a lightning connector to 3.5 mini jack, since the IRig connects to the phone with a 3.5 mini plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Does the I-rig2 have mic and guitar input? I always thought it was for guitar only..

It's a line-level input. It has a little guitar icon at the input point. It has been marketed for guitars and for all I know may better for them. But if you have a mixer or similar device that can take a mono output into a quarter-inch jack, you can connect it to the iRig2, at least according to that video. I mean obviously you can connect it, the question is what will it sound like. I should find out fairly soon!
Old 03-25-2020, 07:56 AM

Hey Chris....check this out

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/product...key=irigstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I've been trying to figure this out for a few days myself, and got some great feedback from folks here.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=575476

I'm now trying this, which means I ordered it but who knows when it will get here

https://www.guitarcenter.com/IK-Mult...#productDetail

Here's a short to-the-point video that explains it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rqPiXpcd1I

I think this will do the trick, but I'll find out.

Many of the sudden-livestreamers around here used their gigging setups and planted mics in front of them--the MV88 would work great in that setup. That not only adds effects if desired but solves the voice/guitar imbalance for those of us like me who are not always great at that acoustically. The only hitch is, that's if you're off in the woods or have understanding neighbors. I can't do that in my apartment, so I'm trying the mixer approach as well.

In fact since it's just me with voice and guitar, I'm using my Boss VE-8, which has many output options including a mono 1/4-inch, perfect for the iRig2. A surprising amount of mixers have USB output options--including my Yamaha MG10XU (as does the VE-8). But that gets into drivers and stuff, trying to avoid all that.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Thanks! I'll take a closer look. I guess it' basically the same route but using RCAs instead of the 1/4 out? Whatever works!

Still waiting for my iRig2, and I'm optimistic it'll arrive Monday.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:03 AM

I think I found what I'm looking for

https://www.guitarcenter.com/IK-Mult...00000041112.gc

The IRIG PRO I/O

it has a XLR input, so I can use my existing mic and TCH Harmony pedal and go from the XLR out of the pedal to the XLR in of thi unit and then into my iPhone. It even has a lightning connector. Anyone heard of this or tired it?
Old 03-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I think I found what I'm looking for

https://www.guitarcenter.com/IK-Mult...00000041112.gc

The IRIG PRO I/O

it has a XLR input, so I can use my existing mic and TCH Harmony pedal and go from the XLR out of the pedal to the XLR in of thi unit and then into my iPhone. It even has a lightning connector. Anyone heard of this or tired it?
Hi JackB1, I have one and have it used to record with. Sound quality is very good. I recorded a song using Multitrack DAW and sent wav files to a studio where I had it mixed and then had it played at my daughter's wedding for the father/daughter dance. It is easy to use and works with IOS and android. Hope this helps.
Old 03-28-2020, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Default The iRig2 Works

Just a quick note since I received my iRig2 and spent an initial 15 minutes with it. It works for my application.

That means I can feed my EV N/D 457A mic and my Martin GPRS1 with the Sonitone pickup into my Boss VE-8, send a combined mono signal from that to the iRig2 via a 1/4 inch standard guitar jack, plug the iRig2's TRRS jack into my Samsung Galaxy S10e, and send the combined video and audio into FB Live. (I did a test stream selected for "only me.") Obviously this means you can do the same thing with a mixer if it has a 1/4-inch out.

I have some fiddling to do. I couldn't sense much in the way of effects, though I only had a touch of reverb. I did expect more tonal improvement from the VE-8's Acoustic Resonance feature, which I've used before. There is an FX/Thru switch and maybe it was in the wrong position.

What this setup definitely does is let me manipulate relative volume levels between voice and mic (I under-sing and over-play, especially when strumming). I'm reading that my mic is hypercardioid and I can tell you it is *only* picking up my voice and maybe a tiny amount of guitar. During my test I had a window fan whooshing smoothly throughout, no more than six feet behind the mic though almost directly behind it, and it picked up none of that. At all.

Have some more experimenting to do and will report further, but wanted to share the good news. This is a great solution if you want to livestream but live in close quarters, want some control over levels, and can't just plant a mic in front of your PA. Oh and I wore headphones from the VE-8 to monitor the mix.

Last edited by Chriscom; 03-28-2020 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-29-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Great work here. Looking forward to seeing and hearing the outcome of your extensive research and testing!
Old 03-29-2020, 09:47 AM

Sweetwater just sent out an article on live streaming setup:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/12...gn=20200328-t1
Old 03-29-2020, 10:46 AM

I have a the Zoom Q2N-4K and I can connect via USB to either my android devices or Chromebook as a webcam and/or external mic. The Q2N is nice just for recording rehearsals, etc. but the video quality is not nearly as good as my Pixel 3 phone camera - especially in low light. The Zoom Q2N-4K is frankly very very noisy in low light and requires post processing to smooth it out.

I've also got a Zoom H6 and after much experimentation I think the best combo is to use it as the audio interface and connect it to my Pixel 3 phone via USB (requires a mini-USB to USB-C converter). SO the Pixel 3 captures video and sends the stream, and I feed the audio from my board into the H6 and add in a bit of mic from the H6 for ambient sound (I'm in an acoustic duo). Works great and has much more presence than a lot of FB streams that just use phone mics to capture sound.

The only downside is the USB connection from the H6 takes up the phone's USB-C port, so can't charge at the same time and limits how long I can stream.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
Sweetwater just sent out an article on live streaming setup:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/12...gn=20200328-t1
Thanks, that's a super article, though missing info, I think, on devices that make connecting from a mixer less taxing and higher quality (there's another one than the iRig line I came across, though I forget what it is now.

I never would have thought of silencing notifications--of course!

On the iRig2 front, my Sonitone sounds like a Sonitone and I may try my T1 Tonematch if the VE-8, plus more tweaking with the on-board Sonitone controls, don't help enough. What I said earlier about possibly not having the FX/thru switch set right doesn't apply AFIK. The instructions indicate that switch is for the output to an amp. So with FX on, it sends the signal to the phone and an on-phone mixer and then out to the amp; thru just skips that and sends whatever ya got straight to the amp.

Lotsa great comments all, thanks.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Here's the other one I was thinking of

https://www.guitarcenter.com/TC-Heli...#productDetail

Although... maybe I'm missing something here, but who records or streams just a mic? I haven't thought about whether this could be adapted to joint streaming, probably I guess, but there are lots of folks who play "just" guitar, hence the marketing of the iRig2. But um how many acapella singers are there.

Anyway...
Old 03-29-2020, 02:32 PM

Don’t forget how it looks- not just how it sounds.

Excellent quick lighting transformation and tutorial here:

https://youtu.be/86fE5T-_mcs

Hope this works, attachment tool seems buggy now on my iPad :

06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 03-29-2020, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

So I switched guitars to my Martin GPC-28E with its Fishman Aura VT Enhance. Much better, which one would hope for compared to the Sonitone. Still a little trebly but sounds like a guitar.

I also turned up my reverb a little bit , and paid more attention--the effects are definitely getting through. They may have to be exaggerated a bit to come across on FB, and monitoring through headphones can be misleading since it's a pristine environment.

I might try my T1 Tonematch but judging from my last private FB livestream run-through, I should practice more on my singing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification