The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-15-2020, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Default A string noise solution

I have been making a lot of noise when playing classical and not the good kind,

I'm using uncoated bass strings and......

I found that if I have a barre I can grab it and play the chord fine, but I'm doing these little shifts to allow me to play melody notes cleanly later in the measure(s) while holding down the barre due to whole notes, half notes, etc. So while I was grabbing the barre and having it play cleanly for the initial barre notes played, I was in a slightly less favorable position for the other melody notes and I had to shift to play those cleanly which was causing quite a bit of string noise.

Getting my hand in a better position initially to play those melody notes later in the measure(s) while still being in a good position to play the initial notes was the solution. Its a work in progress. Its like setting up your hand to play a measure in reverse kind of thing.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-15-2020, 05:35 PM

It's definitely like working out a road-map for left hand fingerings in classical arrangements.

Quite often, after I've decided on my left hand fingerings, the next part of the arrangement will cause me to re-think it. I will start over and plan how to efficiently (minimizing left hand movement) get from point A to point B and maintain clear notes.

I sometimes decide that a full barre isn't needed & a partial or no barre will work fine.

FWIW It took me a while to determine the best way for me to handle partial barre's required in classical songs & get clear notes.

In the end, it's a lot of trial and error. But the more I work on different arrangements, the more I know the proper moves.

In one of my books I recall it stating; "Don't fret a note until it's absolutely needed. Finger style players will fret the full C chord, when only 1 note is needed at first. After that the initial fretted note is played, it may no longer be needed"
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical