The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 07:50 PM

Default *SOLD* Huss and Dalton TD-M Sinker Mahogany / Thermo-Cured Adirondack Spruce - Mint

Selling a mint Huss and Dalton TD-M with Sinker mahogany back and sides and a thermo-cured Adirondack spruce top. This guitar is basically brand new and has hardly been played. I have the opportunity to have some home improvements done which I can't turn down, so I need to free up some cash, hence all these guitars I've been selling.

This is an extremely versatile, and comfortable playing dread. The sinker mahogany adds a little "extra." Similar to how Brazilian brings mahogany-like qualities to rosewood guitars, Sinker brings rosewood-like qualities to mahogany guitars. It has that extra "zing" with some slight overtones, deeper bass and trebles, but still has the focused mid-ranged clarity of mahogany. Truly an exceptional guitar and the craftsmanship on this one is second to none - it looks and feels like a work of art. These guitars have some of the best necks I've played, with a soft V in the first position (1 23/32" nut) which transitions up to a medium C - definitely not a baseball bat, but not slim by any means. Just very comfortable for all playing styles.

Description and specs below.

AGF price is $SOLD

Link to Imgur album with hi-res photos: https://imgur.com/a/BxBzf8O

A straight to the chase all business Mahogany dreadnought from Huss & Dalton in Staunton, VA. Built with a torrefied “thermo-cured” Adirondack Spruce top paired with old growth Sinker Mahogany from Belize. This is great wood with a great story. Cut from logs harvested originally in the late 1800’s by the British in the rain forest of Belize. The only way to get logs out from deep in the jungle to the shipping vessels was to float them down rivers. Occasionally an old growth log got stuck or sank and got buried in the mud. Some became a time capsule of tone wood, did not rot, and aged for over a century before they could be rescued by modern means. This wood has the old bone sound, serious vintage wood in a new build.

Thermo-Cured Adirondack Spruce flat top
Belizean Sinker Mahogany back and sides
Adirondack Red Spruce scalloped bracing
Ebony fretboard and bridge
Tortoise binding
Rosewood headstock overlay
Mahogany neck
Ebony heelcap and wedge
Bone nut and traditional through saddle
Tortoise pickguard
Nickel Waverly tuners with oval knobs
Ebony pins with Pearl dots
Pearl dot fretboard inlays and logo
Black backstrip
1 23/32″ nut width
2 7/32″ saddle spacing
25.4″ scale length
Includes deluxe tweed TKL hardshell case

Last edited by Matts67; 07-10-2020 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:59 PM

That's a guitar, right up my alley if I didn't just get my thompson dm-a I would be all over this... Still going to give it some thought.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:36 PM

Man. Put that thing up before someone gets hurt.

That thing is ridiculous. I have one that's not sinker, and it ate two of my other guitars.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:54 PM

Pics in your photo gallery are phenomenal. Lovely guitar to photograph doesn't hurt.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Been looking for this very guitar but in an OM. Still the D looks gorgeous.

What can you tell me about how it performs for fingerpicking? I'm assuming it's a killer strummer and flatpicker.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:26 AM

A few years ago, when Huss and Dalton first introduced sinker mahogany into their line, I had the opportunity to speak with Jeff Hill, their sales rep at that time, at Rudy's Music when it was on 48th Street.

I asked, "Jeff, is this just hype, compared to the mahogany with which you guys would normally build?"

Jeff leaned over, and in conspiratorial fashion, said, "It's better."

I've had a TD-M sinker mahogany since 2012, and I can attest to its special qualities, as described in the OP. It was great when I received it, but after a few years... wow. Jeff was right.

Full disclosure: I don't know Matt, and have nothing to do with this sale, except to encourage an enthusiastic picker to snap this one up. Especially with the torrefied top, I am sure this is a killer instrument.

Good luck with your sale, and I hope the buyer gains years of pleasure from playing this one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars