Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-06-2019, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

The GMC "I love it" ad is pretty good.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I've seen Guitar Center ads.
Yeah, that’s the only guitar ads I’ve ever seen on TV, usually around holidays.
Old 01-06-2019, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
Don't make fun of Flo. Flo is hot.
The Ultimate Insurance Commercial:
The General is taking a ride with Flo in his mini-Corvette...

Farmers guy, in his convict persona, attempts to carjack them at a stoplight...

Cavemen beat the crap out of both Farmers guy and General, rescue Flo, and drag her back to their cave by the hair...

When they get to cave, gecko is slowly roasting on open fire for dinner...

Flo takes one look, screams in horror, and passes out...

Gecko grease drips from spit, fire gets out of control...

Cavemen carry still-unconscious Flo to safety, call ambulance, and file claim with insurer...

State Farm invalidates damage claim, citing "inherent fireproof nature of dwelling"...

Ambulance hits Clark Street Crater on way to hospital, knocking traumatized Flo to floor...

Flo attacks driver - the Allstate "mayhem" guy - in blind rage...

Flo arrested, sentenced to experimental co-ed penitentiary program...

Winds up sharing cell with Farmers guy...
Old 01-06-2019, 11:43 PM

One of the few times I come off MUTE, is to listen to the Brad Paisley-Peyton Manning banter, I find that amusing! I don't remember the ad content or the company.

Fog
Old 01-07-2019, 05:59 AM

Agreed. The Paisley/Manning ones are ok.

Flo, the caveman, the general, the mayhem guy all get muted asap.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Why are most commercials so.........? They just want your money. However they can get it. Any more, if there's a television show we want to watch, especially an hour or longer, we record the first half so we can fast forward through the ads and still end the show on time. Or, watch it later speeding past the commercials. I don't need any pharmaceuticals that can give me; "bloody discharge, gangrene, difficulty breathing or death"

These are the actual listed side effects of JARDIANCE a drug prescribed for Type-2 Diabetes: Dehydration, Vaginal yeast infection, Yeast infection of the penis, Ketoacidosis, ketones in your urine, nausea, vomiting, stomach-area (abdominal) pain, tiredness, or trouble breathing, Kidney problems, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, back pain, nausea or vomiting, Low blood sugar, weakness, dizziness, confusion, irritability, hunger, fast heartbeat, sweating, shaking or feeling jittery.
Necrotizing fasciitis - and may lead to hospitalization, multiple surgeries, and death - and you develop any of the following symptoms in the area between and around your anus and genitals: pain or tenderness, swelling, and redness of skin, Allergic (hypersensitivity) reactions.
One must understand the rules concerning reporting potential side effects .
Please understand that I am not a fan of anyone and take no meds .
When a person is in a trial they are supposed to report everything . In other words , if they catch a cold , those symptoms are reported and are part of the disclaimer by law . If you are bitten by a venomous snake , those symptoms are reported . Some or many of these reported potential side effects may have absolutely nothing to do with being the result of taking the medication . You could get bitten by a Great White Shark and excessive blood loss and death will be reported if you are in the trial when the event takes place .
With that said , I had a serious side effect from a medication once that upon some digging I found to be known but considered rare .
Everything you put in your body has some effect , good , bad or both . Be vigilant on your own behalf but don't be foolish .
Old 01-10-2019, 04:05 PM

I spent ten years in auto claims for a major insurance company and used to cringe at insurance company marketing that claimed to restore everything exactly like it was before, like it never even happened. Impossible! Insurance companies can pay for things that are damaged, but stuff happens. They can't take it away without a time machine but that's what was implied in the advertising.

As has been said, insurance is a highly-regulated commodity with very little differences between companies. Customer service is better or worse with some, but technology has erased many of the distinguishing factors other than price. Advertising has become one of the few ways for them to differentiate themselves. I find some of them entertaining, but most of the advertising has very little relation to the product being marketed.

I really dislike the ear-worm Liberty Insurance jingle "Liberty, Liberty, Liberty, Liiiberty, Liiiberty" and the snarky people complaining about their insurance company. To me it's trying to make themselves look better by running down the competition and I don't think that's a good long-term strategy. I guess Allstate does it too with Mayhem talking about cut-rate insurance companies, but that's more entertaining.

To me the Nationwide commercials with Peyton Manning are the best. If he keeps it up he could join the ranks of Mr. Coffee Joe DiMaggio and Jimmy Dean sausage in being more famous for advertising than for their original careers.
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 01-15-2019, 09:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yep, I'm so totally tired of commercials of today. Lengthy commercials are important, but costly for otherwise worthy organizations and I change channels. For me it means stretch time. If commercials cannot make me smile inside I'm out of there.

I don't hesitate to recommend other homebodies do what I did. I'm an old fashion girl. I have a DVD of old commercials. I slip it in the player occasionally when I do house work because those commercials make me laugh and totally lightens the work load as they captivate brief moments of my attention. They make me smile and sometimes laugh out loud. Pink Pepto is about as serious as it gets. The music is light and rather sparkly. Kids giggled.

I still sing with the Kellogg's corn flakes to "Wake up everybody. Day's a wastin'." It makes me pick up my steps and before I know it the work is done. I don't sit and watch commercials, but I don't always shut them down either.

I'm still a fan of the good clean fun of Tony the Tiger. Trouble is if he would appear on TV today someone would ruin it and talk about lead content and poisonous herbicides. But, hey, I'm probably not the one you want to hear from. I am in a quirky way still entertained by some of the antics of Earl Pitts America.

Things go better with Coke has a new meaning, but it doesn't ruin my love for the light heartedness of the original commercial.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
I might be alone here but don't think I have ever seen a guitar commercial?
here are a couple:

Old 01-15-2019, 12:38 PM

I just saw a Geico ad on youtube (it came up before a guitar demo I wanted to watch).

It was the one about ". . . so to save money I just got them a possum."

Pretty darn funny, I thought.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:39 PM

[QUOTE=fazool;5940025

Now, it's Chevy with those secret commercials where they surprise "real people" with a Chevy to look at. I cringe so bad at these and I can't believe they are still on the air. I do not buy the argument that "they must be working" - I think they simply are unwilling to acknowledge their ad agency is a failure and are sticking with it.[/QUOTE]

Yep, those ads are awful.
I hope I don't get into trouble with the mods on this but the latest GM commercial touts the Chevy line as beating Honda and a Toyota for reliability based on a recent "National Survey."
What survey? What were the questions? Who were the respondents? Nothing, just the words National Survey.
Who is buying into this? I shudder to imagine.

On another note...discounting car models to everyone severely devalues those cars in the used car market and in the trade-in value down the road.
So much for the family discount.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 01-15-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

I think “stupid” applies to most commercials, but on the rare occasions I watch network TV, somewhat enjoy the Geico Gecko ones.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 01-15-2019, 07:32 PM

My vote for most irritating commercials goes to all the local personal injury lawyers stumping to get you the money you deserve. Would be okay if there was just one but there are dozens of them all saying the same thing.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:18 PM

Always liked those Budweiser beer commercials with the Clydesdale horses kicking field goals. Now that got my attention.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 PM

It's to outdumb each other. Some are so stupid they aren't even funny. If I see too many more of these insurance commercials I might even throw my wallet in the Hudson River!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic