The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 04:40 PM

Default The J15 As A Singer-Songwriter Guitar

I have been increasingly using my J15 as my guitar of choice as a sing along guitar. Obviously any guitar needs to “fit” into any given vocalist’s range, singing style and so on.
The thing that is most striking tone-wise is what that walnut back and sides brings to the table. It’s balanced across the spectrum, firm punchy bottom, nice mid presence, and the trebles are clean but smooth. This guitar has really grown on me. It also cuts through a mix very, very well. IMHO and though it is known on the forum, it’s still a “best kept secret” in the Gibson acoustic offering.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-30-2020, 05:44 PM

How would you compare it to your j45 and if you could only have 1, which? I can't decide between a southern jumbo, j15, or hummingbird. Thinking j5 or southern jumbo since ii have a Martin.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:55 PM

My brother plays rhythm and sings some in a trio with a mandolinist and an lead guitarist. He has the J-15, a Guild G-37 blond (maple body) and a 300 series Taylor. He uses the J-15 and the Guild mostly.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
...a Guild G-37 blond (maple body)....
Back in the mid-70's I was in a trio with a guy who bought one of the first G-37's on the market - another well-kept secret...
Old 03-31-2020, 03:36 AM

Default The J15 As A Singer-Songwriter Guitar

J-15’s are superb, I really like the J-29 as well, another undervalued guitar. I’d probably have bought both a few years back as they were available for little money in the Uk (£900 for the J-15 and £1200 for the J-29) but I just prefer the much fatter neck on my J-45. Finding modern guitars with a decent size neck is problematic. I think Gibson acoustics in general are just perfect for vocal accompaniment.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 03-31-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycobb73 View Post
How would you compare it to your j45 and if you could only have 1, which? I can't decide between a southern jumbo, j15, or hummingbird. Thinking j5 or southern jumbo since ii have a Martin.
I would have a great deal of difficulty picking one over the other, mainly because they are both great at what they do. The J45 is Iconoclastic so I suppose it would get the nod.
The thing the J15 does so well is best described as punchiness. The best example I can offer is with songs like America’s “Sister Golden Hair” where the rhythm guitar parts are very “pronounced” and balanced. Neither my J45 or D18 will do that sound.
I bought mine used and it was about a year old. Though it sounded very good when I got it, it has opened up” quite a bit more with time and now it’s a beast.
I feel very fortunate in that the three acoustics I own “cover the bases” pretty well. I will have to admit, the J15 has taken away some playing time from my D18.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-31-2020, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

Not discounting any of Gibson's acoustic models but I'm always amazed that the Advanced Jumbo (AJ) gets so little love. Certainly the "back sheep" of sorts as it's EIR instead of mahogany back and sides but a stellar guitar for just about anything you care to throw at it.

A while back Wildwood Guitars had a custom shop Southern Jumbo 12 fret edition that looked to be a killer guitar. I almost bought it but realized I just don't need another guitar?

Guess I'm just muddying up the water here but just thought I'd add my two cents.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 03-31-2020, 08:28 AM

I've seen this mentioned a lot and am still somewhat confused by this concept.
Most acoustic play in the same basic sound spectrum, so how do you figure out what fits with ones own vocal tones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Obviously any guitar needs to “fit” into any given vocalist’s range, singing style and so on.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Not discounting any of Gibson's acoustic models but I'm always amazed that the Advanced Jumbo (AJ) gets so little love. Certainly the "back sheep" of sorts as it's EIR instead of mahogany back and sides but a stellar guitar for just about anything you care to throw at it.
The AJ and SJ have my attention at the moment. If either pops up at the right time/price, I'll jump on it.

As for singer/songwriter guitars, I played all over the world with a Gibson CL-30 Deluxe, one of the early models with the arched laminate back. It was great and fit my style for a long time. A friend of mine has it now and knows to call me if he ever gets rid of it.

For solo singer/songwriter guitars, it really is so important to play one and run through your usual set/style. I've found a few guitars over the years I LOVED to play, but when I went to perform with them, they drowned me out. My Avalon L was like that.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:31 AM

Not sure I understand how a guitar could "drown you out" if you are performing with a sound system? Just increase the vocal level compared to the guitar. Unless you are performing unplugged??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfair View Post

For solo singer/songwriter guitars, it really is so important to play one and run through your usual set/style. I've found a few guitars over the years I LOVED to play, but when I went to perform with them, they drowned me out. My Avalon L was like that.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Not sure I understand how a guitar could "drown you out" if you are performing with a sound system? Just increase the vocal level compared to the guitar. Unless you are performing unplugged??
There's more to it than volume. Think in terms of the tonal compatibility between the voice and the guitar. For me, a guitar with strong fundamentals complements what my voice is doing. A guitar with strong overtones, conversely, tends to compete with my voice rather than complement it.
Old 03-31-2020, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
The Taylor 814 (and many other 'singer songwriter' guitars) is known for a 'scooped midrange' that theoretically provides sonic space for the vocalist. This has been my experience with it but ymmv.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
The Taylor 814 (and many other 'singer songwriter' guitars) is known for a 'scooped midrange' that theoretically provides sonic space for the vocalist. This has been my experience with it but ymmv.
This is the accepted “rule of thumb” but I submit that it also depends on the singer’s vocal tone in a given key as well. For instance, a natural baritone like myself may find that guitars with a mushy bass and strong lower mids can effectively “wash out” my vocals in certain key when I sing in a lower register. Certainly, the 814 is not one of those guitars. That guitar suits my voice and Lee’s just fine.
While the J15 has more pronounced mids than an 814, it is definitely “balanced”. It is a guitar that is voiced more towards the bright end of the spectrum and in that sense is similar to the 814. I’m not saying they sound the same, I’m saying they allow for the vocals in a similar fashion. There is room in there for a deeper male voice. As Lee stated...YMMV.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 03-31-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
This is the accepted “rule of thumb” but I submit that it also depends on the singer’s vocal tone in a given key as well. For instance, a natural baritone like myself may find that guitars with a mushy bass and strong lower mids can effectively “wash out” my vocals in certain key when I sing in a lower register. Certainly, the 814 is not one of those guitars. That guitar suits my voice and Lee’s just fine.
While the J15 has more pronounced mids than an 814, it is definitely “balanced”. It is a guitar that is voiced more towards the bright end of the spectrum and in that sense is similar to the 814. I’m not saying they sound the same, I’m saying they allow for the vocals in a similar fashion. There is room in there for a deeper male voice. As Lee stated...YMMV.
I like what you're saying here and I've had similar experiences. I don't want to fool around with too many EQs, etc, etc, on stage. I want the guitar to naturally compliment myself and whatever setting I'm in.

In regards to being balanced, the great thing is the ability to control the dynamics with an instrument like that. I can use a nylon pick on a well balanced guitar and it'll scoop the mids a bit when I'm singing, but I can still dig in and get them back if I want to.

It's a delicate balance!
Old 03-31-2020, 01:55 PM

Tell me what guitars don't have somewhat of a scooped midrange? I have never played a guitar acoustically that had mids that overpowered the highs and lows. At least no full sized guitars, like dreads or similar models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion