The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-29-2020, 04:26 PM

It has been fun and time consuming (beats the corona blues) going through all the options...

Thanks to everyone by the way for all your the feedback guy's :-)
Old 03-29-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMc View Post
@sprucetop

They are designed for use on the road and (unlike the Synapse) can be setup for use with a "Core Sub" Woofer using a high pass filter and also can be configured as left and right (& Sub) for daisy chaining them all together for stereo or even home theater usage if desired...

The Core 59 is 1150 Watts of Class D power that is a beast, two of those and a sub would do any gig of any size and are designed to be taken on the road and used for just that according to the manufacturer.
I must have misunderstood the website information. If these are what you want, then you should get them without any more input from me or anyone else. Good Luck!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-29-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
It has been fun and time consuming (beats the corona blues) going through all the options...

No worries. Glad to see you're getting your use of the forum. That's what we're here for. Clear up some of your old private messages and I'll reply to the ones that I can reply to.
Old 03-29-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Thank you! Believe me when I say I probably speak for most of us... we’ve missed it too these days, and it helps us to help you. Keep on postin’
Old 03-30-2020, 05:08 PM

I gig quite often and always bring my own sound gear. I am an older guy so weight is key.
I have two systems, one for small and one for medium to larger. The HK with a 10" sub and two larger satellite speakers is my choice for larger. Two Bose S1's on poles are what i use for smaller up to 100 depending on room configuration.
Before you spend any money on a system think hard about your audience size and portability. Two Bose S1's and my Elite Acoustics Stompmix 6, both battery powered, make a great home stereo, computer speaker, TV speaker, smaller gig system. Have fun with all the info from this awesome forum.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 07-17-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
@sprucetop
Ah yeah definitely crazy enough to spend 3k... :-)

The Daedalus looks like a really nice option... what amp or speakers setup in their range is good ? Do they do Anolog class D I wonder...I will look into them cheers for that.

Jay
Jay, it is not crazy at all to spend thousands so you never have to look back and wonder if you made the right decision. I know I haven't. Call me crazy, but back in 2004-5, I purchased not one pair, but two pairs of Daedalus Audio speakers (W-803 and the SR-823). I then purchased a nice amplifier and a Pendulum SPS-1 acoustic preamp. 17 years later, no regrets. Now if I just had a Bryston amplifier and a dual source pickup setup, it'd be total audio bliss, but I haven't pushed things financially to achieve that yet. In meantime, my sound is incredible.

Good luck in your quest!

Rick
Old 07-18-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
@sprucetop

They are designed for use on the road and (unlike the Synapse) can be setup for use with a "Core Sub" Woofer using a high pass filter and also can be configured as left and right (& Sub) for daisy chaining them all together for stereo or even home theater usage if desired...

The Core 59 is 1150 Watts of Class D power that is a beast, two of those and a sub would do any gig of any size and are designed to be taken on the road and used for just that according to the manufacturer.
I too am confused. These look like studio monitors. They dont even have grills. One knock
Against a bar table would likely kill it??
am I missing something??
Also usually near field. You might have
Trouble 30 ft out??
Old 07-19-2020, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
I too am confused. These look like studio monitors. They dont even have grills. One knock
Against a bar table would likely kill it??
am I missing something??
Also usually near field. You might have
Trouble 30 ft out??
That was also my take on the Dynaudio products highlighted by the OP. No doubt they sound great but I think a total package of two speakers and subwoofer costs around $8K to $9K USD. Perhaps, Dynaudio could make these systems also available with roadworthy models for those willing to spend that kind of money to play their gigs?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-25-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The OP, at first, didn't stipulate that cost wasn't a consideration. If overall load-in/load-out weight also isn't too big a consideration, then I would suggest he start his gear quest by looking at the Bose L1 Model II with Bass Modules, or a Bose F1 Model 812 Flexible Array Loudspeaker and Subwoofer stack. If pride of ownership is part of the quest, then the Daedalus speaker products would be an option if the company will build a pair of the desired model with plain, quality plywood. Then again, a Daedalus with the solid-wood cabinets they are shown with on the website would be beautiful!
At my house gig I use both the Bose L1 system with a Bass Module and the full F1 system. And the F1 system is superior in every way soundwise. Although I use a Allen and Heath mixer with the F1 system, and a Bose T1 mixer with the L1 system.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The OP, at first, didn't stipulate that cost wasn't a consideration. If overall load-in/load-out weight also isn't too big a consideration, then I would suggest he start his gear quest by looking at the Bose L1 Model II with Bass Modules, or a Bose F1 Model 812 Flexible Array Loudspeaker and Subwoofer stack. If pride of ownership is part of the quest, then the Daedalus speaker products would be an option if the company will build a pair of the desired model with plain, quality plywood. Then again, a Daedalus with the solid-wood cabinets that are shown on the website would be beautiful!
I think the plywood idea defeats the purpose of the overall quality of the Deadalus product line. In this case, I imagine the builder takes pride in quality craftsmanship, including the wood choices.

Regards!
Old 07-25-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
I think the plywood idea defeats the purpose of the overall quality of the Deadalus product line. In this case, I imagine the builder takes pride in quality craftsmanship, including the wood choices.

Regards!
Rick, I was thinking of high-quality, road-usage Daedalus speakers with a cabinet made of quality birch plywood with maybe black vinyl protective covering or sprayed-on road-tough finish. These speakers would be part of the Daedalus product line and have all the necessary pro-sound amplifier connections and handles installed along with perhaps removable front covers for protection when traveling. Probably, Daedalus isn't pursuing the road market as they already have enough orders for their quality product offerings?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-26-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Jay, it is not crazy at all to spend thousands so you never have to look back and wonder if you made the right decision. I know I haven't. Call me crazy, but back in 2004-5, I purchased not one pair, but two pairs of Daedalus Audio speakers (W-803 and the SR-823). I then purchased a nice amplifier and a Pendulum SPS-1 acoustic preamp. 17 years later, no regrets. Now if I just had a Bryston amplifier and a dual source pickup setup, it'd be total audio bliss, but I haven't pushed things financially to achieve that yet. In meantime, my sound is incredible.

Good luck in your quest!

Rick
Fair enough and I totally concur! The reason I mentioned being crazy enough to spend that kind of money is that the OP approached me BC and asked my opinion about a couple of speakers. I thought maybe he was looking in the range of $2000 or less per speaker and had in mind road-grade speakers. If money wasn't an option, I suppose I'd consider a pair of Ocean Way Audio HR3.5 Twin 12 inch Tri-amped Reference Monitor for $21,120 USD per pair. They're heavy and still wouldn't be roadworthy as is but I'd bet they'd sound great!

LF Driver Size: 2 x 12" (LF), 8" (MF)
HF Driver Size: 1" tweeter
Watts Per Channel: 3400W
Frequency Range: 20Hz-22kHz
Maximum Peak SPL: 120 dB SPL @ 1m
Enclosure Type: Front Ported
Input Types: 2 x XLR (analog), 1 x XLR (AES/EBU)
Output Types: 2 x XLR (analog), 1 x XLR (AES/EBU), 3 x SpeakON
Height: 43"
Width: 17.5"
Depth: 25.5"
Weight: 185 lbs.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 07-26-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 11:12 PM

Lots of great choices these days. I prefer American made, solid wood amps with tonal control. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesdale View Post
Here's what I use:

hkaudio lucas nano 608i stereo system

Sounds amazing and it's an easy setup and carry. Best if you get the optional wheeled carry bag. I need the 4-channel feature for duos and small band stuff.
I've gotten a lot of compliments on my sound since buying an HK Nano 608i. Really nice to have all the channels and control that it comes with.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 07-28-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I have not sung or played through a rig that comes anywhere close to my Bose L1 Model II system... and I've played and sung through a LOT of different PA's in my 5 decades of performing...

The Bose system is very natural sounding, very smooth and even with incredible dispersion (180 degrees +). I'd feel confident using it for gigs up to ~300 people.

I am not a fan of what I call "un-natural" sound equipment - systems that emphasis a "sizzling" high end and pronounced bass response - so the Bose L1 with the Bose T1 is about perfect for my wants.

I've used the Bose stuff for 11 years or so, both the Classic and the Model II (w/ one B1 subwoofer) and found it to be extremely reliable and flexible. The only problem I've had has been successfully "divorcing" my live PA experience and really utilizing the Bose's strengths, which are far different than your normal "point and shoot", "turn it up so you can be heard in the back of the room" systems.

With the Bose positioned correctly, I don't need monitor speakers at all, which is wonderful! I hear exactly what the audience is hearing... instead of some tinny mix through less-than full range monitor speakers.

The Bose stuff is expensive, even more so if you use it the way it's designed (ONE unit per performer). Most, if not all, of the 'issues" I've heard people having with the Bose rigs stem from them trying to use one system for multiples of players...
I really enjoyed using my Bose L1 Model II systems for years and while I eventually sold them, the coverage and tonality for an acoustic soloist was still phenomenal. Good enough for large area coverage even outdoors.

My best placement was to have one behind me about 6 feet or so and I was hearing the same thing the audience was.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification