The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-13-2020, 09:27 AM

Default Does anyone know how this performance was done?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZLY2ht9iBM

This is the best "isolation vid" I've seen so far.

I am curious:

What platform / technology / app was used

Was it a single take, or "pass it around and add your track" session with tons of studio and editing work after the takes.

Whatever... I like it and I would like to be able to replicate it.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

It may have started with a scratch track but looks like it could have been just the main acoustic guitar/vocal track (not necessarily recorded in a single take). Passed around to each person with pretty clear instructions on what to do when.

They listened - one obviously using ear buds, but the fiddle player might have been listening on speakers, as the fiddle is probably wireless (definitely a pickup being recorded and not mic'd) and the mic just for background vocal. Can't see if the bass player is monitoring with something in his ears or not, but the bass would likely have been recorded direct and any bleed in background vocals minimized in mixing, i.e., editing out everything except when singing.

Stitch together the audio, mix/master, and then stack up all the video angles, aligned with the mix in a video editor (probably), and pick one angle after another as it rolls along. Slap in some transitions. Most video editing software would support that - I've done it in Final Cut Pro X.
Old 09-13-2020, 10:13 AM

Mostly agree with the above. The band members tracked and mixed first, then video was shot to playback from multiple angles, a combo of locked off and handheld. The "civilians" toward the end probably just listened to the band mix through the open air with whatever playback device was handy, and shot and recorded on their phones. Most of that stuff is really sloppy and there's a lot of bleed from the band track, but that's fine.

I'm not sure I agree about the fiddle being recorded DI. It's not the warmest fiddle track I've ever heard, but I think it's a mic. Besides, if the guy had a mic handy for his vocal, why not use it on the fiddle as well?

Couch Standards
Old 09-13-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I would very much agree with Keith Rogers and Brent Hahn.
I would like to add, they they are using very high quality microphones.
Lead singing I believe is a vintage U87. Very smooth microphone for vocals. I owned one for over 30 years. Vintage U87 in great condition such as this one run $4K or more range. If it is the newer AI U87 they run $3.2K
Second guitarist-singer I think is using a newer Neuman M149.. &5K new
Violinist is using either a AT4050 or A tube At 4060. Not sure but the 4060 might have a longer basket which makes me think this is a 4060...new at $1.6K
*What I would love to know...is what mic did he use on Guitar? Can not see it in the video. In the opening scene where he is with his daughter, or grand daughter...the U87 is lower and at a perfect in between position to catch both guitar and voice. But when the video starts the mic is seemingly higher. It is possible that he recorded guitar first, and we are seeing him sing to that track in the video. If he used just the 87 for both...wow..he is a great singer-player to balance that out live. Love the Guitar sound...very strong.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
... What I would love to know...is what mic did he use on Guitar?
If I were doing something like this, I'd lay down a click and then a one-mic guitar/vocal "roadmap" track first. Then do the keeper guitar and a workable vocal (even if it's not the final) that's non-idiosyncratic enough that the other guys can sing harmony to it without taking all day to match the phrasing. Then send it out, either as a mix or separate tracks, for the other guys to sing and play to. Easier in a case like this, when the song's already something they know so they're not reinventing the wheel, partswise.

Couch Standards
Old 09-13-2020, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I'm not sure I agree about the fiddle being recorded DI. It's not the warmest fiddle track I've ever heard, but I think it's a mic. Besides, if the guy had a mic handy for his vocal, why not use it on the fiddle as well?
I've watched it a few times trying to catch sight of a pickup/wireless somewhere and there's nothing visible, and if he's "fiddle-syncing" he's good. (But, these guys are pros, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that he's played that exact part a 1000 times.) Anyway, maybe it's all metal strings, but it just sounds so buzzy to my ear I haven't heard anything like that in a long time (from a mic'd acoustic fiddle/violin).

p.s. (edit) my fiddler bud says it sure sounds like a pickup to him.

Last edited by keith.rogers; 09-13-2020 at 02:25 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD