The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-10-2020, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Video demo - edited in Reaper

I was able to load a mp4 video from my phone into Reaper.

Here's me learning a new piece. Obviously my camera angle needs work

I added a bit of reverb and used the stereo adjustment plugin I have. I should have upped the volume also, but didn't.

The playback sounds much better than it does on my phone at least.

I was able to load the output video file from Reaper into Windows Live Movie Maker to add an intro screen. I had to export the mp3 file separately from Reaper and then add it to the WLMM movie. The WLMM creates only SD video while the original video exported from Reaper was HD and SD.

I can upload the output from Reaper to YouTube or the output from WLMM. I'm wondering if I could do the intro in WLMM and then load that video into Reaper and combine the two. Probably.

Personally I don't see the attraction of videos (especially one of an old chubby guy in a t-shirt, ). I can learn fine from just the notation/tab of a piece along with the mp3; I don't really need the visualization. I suppose there are people that learn tunes from watching videos if they can't find the tab.

Anyway, something new to entertain myself with.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-11-2020, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I was able to load a mp4 video from my phone into Reaper.

Here's me learning a new piece. Obviously my camera angle needs work

I added a bit of reverb and used the stereo adjustment plugin I have. I should have upped the volume also, but didn't.

The playback sounds much better than it does on my phone at least.

I was able to load the output video file from Reaper into Windows Live Movie Maker to add an intro screen. I had to export the mp3 file separately from Reaper and then add it to the WLMM movie. The WLMM creates only SD video while the original video exported from Reaper was HD and SD.

I can upload the output from Reaper to YouTube or the output from WLMM. I'm wondering if I could do the intro in WLMM and then load that video into Reaper and combine the two. Probably.

Personally I don't see the attraction of videos (especially one of an old chubby guy in a t-shirt, ). I can learn fine from just the notation/tab of a piece along with the mp3; I don't really need the visualization. I suppose there are people that learn tunes from watching videos if they can't find the tab.

Anyway, something new to entertain myself with.
Good old Rosslin Castle - love that tune.

Just a thought - but it's much easier to edit a video in something designed for it rather than Reaper. Why not just export from phone to something like Filmora or Lumafusion and edit then add the reaper sound file into that - very quick and easy once you get the hang of it.

Pieces posted with video are much more likely to grab my attention purely because there is an interest factor in seeing the real human playing and the guitar and background etc.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 09-11-2020, 07:24 AM

As a FYI you can add intro screens, titling, and other more advanced video editing within Reaper without needing to export to a different editor.

Most of what Reaper is capable of is done by applying the video effects plug in available from Reaper's built in FX panel.

There are many Youtube demos as well as the Cockos Reaper forum to use as guides to this. It seems complex, but isn't difficult once you work with the plug in a few times.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
As a FYI you can add intro screens, titling, and other more advanced video editing within Reaper without needing to export to a different editor.
That is good to know and makes Reaper a much more usable video editor IMO.
That being the case and considering the modest video interests the OP is expressing, it would seem logical to just use Reaper

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-12-2020, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post

Most of what Reaper is capable of is done by applying the video effects plug in available from Reaper's built in FX panel.

There are many Youtube demos as well as the Cockos Reaper forum to use as guides to this. It seems complex, but isn't difficult once you work with the plug in a few times.

Thanks for the heads up - good to know.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 09-12-2020, 06:14 PM

I've done a fair amount of video with REAPER including silly stuff like self-duets:

A little tutorial for folks with an evil twin who wants to come out to play:

but these days I recommend PC users taking a look at the free Shotcut: https://shotcut.org/

It's pretty reasonable on resources, at least as easy to use as WMM and able to handle many more formats without transcoding. There's plenty of tutorial material and a fairly active forum. I did a video and blog post some years ago on Shotcut but the program gets pretty regular updates and they've added the stuff I considered missing when I did my demo.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD