The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-12-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
If you have a good set of headphones, put them to use. i had a Zoom H2n that I would use to record my practice sessions or even to capture the way certain strings would sound like on a given guitar. It's amazing how the ear forgets. I would then have a series of recordings playing the same thing to evaluate what I like or didn't about a set of strings. However, i did these recordings just blindly placing the mic out in front around the 12th fret and using the various mic configurations to capture what I wanted. Then I got smart and plugged in some headphones and would play while moving the mic around to capture the best sound possible. What I ended up with that sounded best to my ears (in the headphones) was not what I thought would be best with my eyes, or in everything I've read about recording acoustic guitar.

This approach may work best if you play while someone else moves the mic around the area, and when you hear it best in your "monitoring" space that is where you place your mic. Your recordings will thank you for it.
That's a good idea, just tried it and makes it much easier to hear subtle differences in playing . Usefull even if not actually recording.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD