The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-11-2020, 05:18 PM

Default What Are Some Affordable Nylon String Guitars?

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about buying my first nylon string guitar. I don't want to spend a lot of $$, as it won't be something I will be using that often. What are some affordable brands or specific models? Thanks.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 09-11-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Over on the classical forum, there seems to be some love for Córdoba.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:44 PM

I have a La Patrie concert.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...assical-guitar

I picked MF to show the pics and specs.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 09-11-2020, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeisen93 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm thinking about buying my first nylon string guitar. I don't want to spend a lot of $$, as it won't be something I will be using that often. What are some affordable brands or specific models? Thanks.
Are you considering a classical or perhaps a crossover/hybrid?
Old 09-11-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
Are you considering a classical or perhaps a crossover/hybrid?
A hybrid would be good too. I’d actually prefer a thinner neck width.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120

Last edited by aeisen93; 09-11-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico5 View Post
I have a La Patrie concert...
Agreed, I've played a few, and they were very nice for the price.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I have a Cordoba Orchestra Fusion that I think is a great crossover instrument. It depends on what you think of as an "affordable guitar". There's a bit of information on crossovers on my old website archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/201604060...Crossover.html
Old 09-11-2020, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
About 2015 I bought a used Cordoba GK studio from the classifieds. I loved it and wanted "more guitar". So now I have a Cervantes I, and recently picked up a Kenny Hill Player (both from the classifieds as well).

Cordoba makes a variety of models and sizes. And price points. You can find a good handful at or below $1000, and if used, well below.

I am unable to play a standard nut very well - hand issues. Those are generally 52mm, although you will see 50 or 51 listed under "standard" as well. the hybrids are 48mm. My Cervantes is 48, the KH is 50.

You can get different scale lengths. I now struggle a bit with 650mm (25.6"). So one reason I got the KH is that it is 628mm (~24.7").

I will mention the Kenny Hill Estudio model. These get great reviews from folks for their overall sound/playability at very affordable prices. They are the "student classical" model.

La Patrie has been mentioned and also gets very good reviews.

There are always some of these nylons for sale in the classifieds. I know there was recently (I believe still there) a Cordoba Fusion. Just read up on the specs since again Cordoba makes quite a variety of models.

btw - the GK studio I had was a flamenco style. But I really liked it for its very thin depth. I was getting back into guitar after a couple years off for medical reasons and having nylon, and thin, was perfect for me. I played it like a regular guitar.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 09-11-2020, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

What specifically do you mean by "affordable?"

I have a Cordoba Fusion 12 in Maple that was $700. Affordable to me. To you?
Old 09-12-2020, 04:39 AM

Affordable and quality:

I went with Yamaha.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:04 AM

Cordoba's Protege (C1) line offers 4/4, 3/4, and 1/2 sizes. Laminate tops that sound very respectable (Yamaha isn't the only maker who knows how to build a quality lam top). There is also the 3/4 Cordoba Cadete that has a solid top and can produce impressive volume. I got rid of mine, because I didn't like that much sound coming from a small body - helluva guitar.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:52 PM

Best I ever bought. Caught a Fathers Day sale at GC and picked up a stunning Cordoba C5CE for $350.00. Plays/Sounds and records Great!!!. After 4 years,still Happy with it. Check them out!. Good Luck!
Old 09-13-2020, 05:59 PM
Guest 928

the Cordoba is a reliable brand. You might also look into Yamaha and its variety of hybrid nylon strung instruments: cut-a-ways, narrower nut width, slight neck radius, and electronics if you want them.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:04 PM

Default Quality is the issue

It's hard giving advice on the best bang for the buck starter guitar is not knowing what your budget limit is.

If you are only going to be picking it up to play just once in a while I would say peruse a local guitar shop and sit and play some of the laminate body models. The majority have solid cedar or spruce tops, but they use lainated backs and sides to make them affordable starters. Most GC stores have used ones that can be good buys. But definitely play them.

Last edited by Always Learning; 09-27-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:28 PM

It's hard giving advice on the best bang for the buck starter guitar when you don't know what your budget limit is.

If you are only going to be picking it up to play just once in a while I would say peruse a local guitar shop and sit and play some of the laminate body models. The majority have solid cedar or spruce tops, but they use laminated backs and sides to make them affordable starters. Most GC stores have used ones that can be good buys. But definitely play them.

I for one have always purchased my classical's with solid wood thru and thru. Mine have always had rosewood backs and sides and cedar tops. I prefer the warm tone of cedar. But this is where you will be required to dish out more dough. Usually $1000 new and between $500 to $800 for used. I look at my purchases as sort of an investment. I have a higher end Burguet 2M and recently purchased a Cordoba C10 Parlor. When I purchased my Burguet over 24 years ago I paid a somewhat large sum. But you can find them online "used" for just under 2 grand.

Now if you are just looking for a plucker, a sit around the campfire and play kind of instrument, I'd say don't spend more the $400 new. Look at the lower end Yamaha, Cordoba and the likes. They are all made in China and S.E Asia anyway.

1996 Amalio Burguet model 2M (Catarroja, Spain)
1995 Guild De'Armond M75 "Les Paul" (South Korea)
1996 Seagull S6 acoustic (LaPatrie, Canada)
2018 Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II Pro (Indonesia)
2020 Cordoba C10 Parlor (China)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical