The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-06-2017, 07:13 PM

Lots to digest here! Value is tough subject, if money were no object... it would be an easy decision! But unfortunately it is, so when I see a beautiful Les Paul with amazing figure that I would love to own, price is the ultimate decider. And with many of those topping $3k they're just not in my budget. So for me personally they don't carry that much value, but obviously they do for many others. On the other end of the spectrum I've played Yamaha acoustics for years and I think they're an amazing value. I still don't know how they can build the quality they do for the price. But don't want to digress too much!

Anyway I love the shape and style of the Les Paul. I also love that classic sound, the old Zeppelin sound. Not that I want to have their, or anyone's, specific sound, but just that general "crunch". From what I've seen so far I'm leaning towards either black body with chrome hardware, or the traditional burst finish. So I just have to decide what I'm willing/able to spend, and what "feels" right.

Jeff
Old 09-06-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Yeah all of the (small number of) pickups I've made have been to that unpotted, slightly unbalanced PAF formula.

Humbucker players often seem to be looking for a little more brightness and dynamics. Conversely, single-coil players are often looking for a "fatter" sound, trying to take the edge off.

That's another huge part of what makes a guitar sound good: tuning it in to do what you what either by tweaking controls or by amp, pickup & speaker choices.

PS: nice playing and vocals
Yeah all of the (small number of) pickups I've made have been to that unpotted, slightly unbalanced PAF formula.

I've never built a PAF from scratch but I have unbalanced some coils to good effect

Humbucker players often seem to be looking for a little more brightness and dynamics. Conversely, single-coil players are often looking for a "fatter" sound, trying to take the edge off. That's another huge part of what makes a guitar sound good: tuning it in to do what you what either by tweaking controls or by amp, pickup & speaker choices.

I agree with all of this, and it seems like a never ending quest!

PS: nice playing and vocals

Thanks for the nice words!!!
Old 09-07-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkatsonis View Post
Agreed, the biggest issue is the electronics. That's probably why the Epiphone LP Tribute Plus, with Gibson '57 humbuckers, is so well-liked. But the guitars also have a different feel, both finish and contours. They might look alike, but they are not quite alike. And for that reason, if I were looking for a bargain LP, I would start with a Gibson LP Studio, which can be had for only a few hundred dollars more than the Epiphone. A Studio Faded Series T, which I've not tried, is actually about the same price as the Epiphone. I'm not saying that the Epiphone is not a nice guitar. It certainly looks nicer that the Faded Series in my opinion. But, again, my choice would be the standard LP Studio.
Both my Epiphones (Slash and a Joe Bonamassa) feel different than my Gibson Les Pauls. They feel less solid. Perhaps it's just because they're lighter. Very nice guitars but there's a feel thing that I just can't put into words. It wouldn't keep me from gigging them though.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Epiphone doesn't use the same grade woods, cheaper hardware, thinner tops, cheaper electronics, poly finish instead of lacquer. Is that to say that you couldn't get an Epiphone that sounds good? Nope, a guitar is a sum of too many variables to call that. Go play a bunch of Epiphones and see if one floats your boat.
Yeah all of this.

I really like the Epiphone LP's and believe they are one of the best values out there for a sub $500 guitar. The standard and the custom Epi LP are both good instruments. I almost bought a standard Epi LP yesterday, in fact, and I still may go back and get it.

I have no doubt you can find a nice Epi LP that performs well. Is it equal to the Gibson? No, not by a long shot, IMO, but for the price they are fine.

And yes, I have owned and played both the Gibsons and Epis. I had a cherry sunburst standard Gibson for many years and it was the best electric guitar I have ever owned. I still have dreams about that guitar and kick myself for ever letting it go.

The big question, are the Gibsons worth 5x more? You will have to be the judge.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:57 PM

I've played Gibson's since 1968. I've played a lot of Epiphones. The Gibson's are much better. Gibson makes the L.P. Studio as a budget model, and you can find good examples for close to $500. Better than Epiphone's, even modded ones. And, disgruntled employees hate all their corporations, quit bashing Gibson. Just accept the fact that you pay about $1000 for them to stamp their name on the headstock.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:06 PM

Gibson's name is worth gold on the market. You can say what you want about components and "value" - but when it comes to general market perception, holding value, resale, and collectibility - The Name wins out...

A hopped up Epiphone is worth a little less than the sum of the parts.
A hopped up parts-caster-paul is worth less than the sum of the parts.
A factory Gibson is worth more than the sum of the parts...

You be the judge...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars