The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-29-2017, 05:29 PM

It's not like I've tried every set of headphones out there for comparison and I know there are many high-end sets that are better, but I'm liking my Audio-Technica M50x headphones for guitar practice. They're middle of the road price-wise...about $150.

I bought them to practice when others are home, but I've actually found I prefer to use them most of the time now. I can hear a lot more subtlety than I can when playing out through an amp. I use a Yamaha mixer in the middle to drive them, but I can crank it up to the point it's too loud for my ears before it starts to break up.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:16 PM

Another vote for Audio Technica but I recommend the M50X just because it has a detachable cable and they do sound way better than more expensive headphones.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:40 PM

I suggest something like the RockMan.... with whatever ear buds or head phones you choose. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rockman/

It is likely that no amplifier will avoid annoying your neighbors, especially now that they are sensitized to the issue. You have to find a way to make acceptable sound in your ears, not in your living room.

Consider a speaker with a typical sensitivity of 90 dB at one foot for 1 Watt of input power. Every doubling of power input raises the output sound levels by 3 decibels. You get the following sound pressure levels in your apartment (more or less depending on distance):
1 Watt = 90 dB
2 Watt = 93 dB
4 Watt = 96 dB
8 Watt = 99 dB
16 Watt = 102 dB
32 Watt = 105 dB
64 Watt = 108 dB
100 Watt = 110 dB

Since most apartment walls barely stop 40 dB of speech sound (and even less for amplified music) you are creating significant sound levels in your neighbor's unit regardless of how low you set your amp. Sorry -- blame physics, not me.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:08 PM

OP,

You may want to consider a power attenuator such as the THD Hot Plate. You connect it between your amp head and your speaker cab. This allows you to set your amp controls to the sweet spots that you like and use the power attenuator to control the signal level to your speaker. No headphones required.

PimaDreama
Old 08-31-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

It is likely that no amplifier will avoid annoying your neighbors, especially now that they are sensitized to the issue. You have to find a way to make acceptable sound in your ears, not in your living room.
That was his point. He's looking for headphones to use with his amp.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:44 PM

Default Another noise complaint = Need headphone recommendations

100w is insanely loud out of a guitar amp. Get a katana for home use. Has an acoustic option. Has an onboard variac that allows the same tone regardless of wattage. Nice. I have a 1 w Marshall that can switch to 0.1 w. 0.1 w is too loud for an apartment if cranked. I’ve had a nice attenuator. Not the same tone.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:04 AM

I lived in house when I had my Twin Reverb and it was still an issue with the neighbors. I feel your pain. Now that I got a new Tele, I tried something a couple days ago with stuff I already had. I plugged into a interface (i have a Scarlet Solo), hooked up a set of powered monitors (I have a used set of M-Audio BX5a) and down load the free version of 1K Multimedia's Amplitude software (I got it from buying an I-Rig 2 last year). Set it up and play away. You get the added bonus of being able to recording everything you play. You can overdrive the amp models without bothering anyone. And you can also plug headphones into the Scarlet if you really want to be quiet.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandspike15 View Post
It turns out that my 100W amp wasn't a good idea for my apartment- at least that's what my neighbors (and the cops) are telling me.

Need recommendations on a decent set of headphones that can handle the signal range. My bose noise cancellers crap out at too low a volume level.

Not looking to kill my ears- or the bank- think $300 max, and less than that if possible for decent quality and comfort?
Looking for headphones is the right solution. IMO if the neighbors have gone to the trouble of calling cops then there probably is no low power amp solution that will work especially at night in an apartment . Human nature being what it is, may mean any music sound coming from your apartment past 5 PM is going to draw unfavorable attention. It's kind of a, "the horse is already out of the barn" type thing.

But at your stated budget I would consider both a low watt tube amp(given your not enthusiastic about the digital amp sound) that has a headphone option.
And a pair of HP's like the AKG 240

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 03-22-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:33 AM

This is a thread from 2017...

And the 100w amp he is using is a Line6 Amplifi 150, not a tube amp.

It’s got a volume knob, and can be as quiet as you want without impacting tone. I use mine mainly as a monitor for my Line6 Helix.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisin View Post
It's not like I've tried every set of headphones out there for comparison and I know there are many high-end sets that are better, but I'm liking my Audio-Technica M50x headphones for guitar practice. They're middle of the road price-wise...about $150.

I bought them to practice when others are home, but I've actually found I prefer to use them most of the time now. I can hear a lot more subtlety than I can when playing out through an amp. I use a Yamaha mixer in the middle to drive them, but I can crank it up to the point it's too loud for my ears before it starts to break up.

I just went through this. Headphones are not cheap.

The basic choice I ended up with is

ATR70X
Grado SR80
Sennheiser HD600s

It is my feeling based on a ton of work researching this recently, that these are your only viable options for audiophile quality at your price level.

Have fun! Try a ton out before ya buy is my final comment. With music YOU BRING to the store on your cell phone, not the music they demo for you!@!
Old 03-24-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
This is a thread from 2017...

And the 100w amp he is using is a Line6 Amplifi 150, not a tube amp.

It’s got a volume knob, and can be as quiet as you want without impacting tone. I use mine mainly as a monitor for my Line6 Helix.
Was fun to debate and discuss anyhow!
Old 03-24-2018, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Was fun to debate and discuss anyhow!
Totally agree, just that the comments to try a attenuators on the OP’s amp a little misguided for the OP’s situation.

I’m definitely interested in the headphone topic, as I’m in the market.

I’ve been tempted by some recent offerings from Sennheiser. The Shure’s that I’m currently using are OK, but not comfortable for long sessions.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:19 AM

Maybe trade in the amp. Many people today only use like a 30w amp bc you mic it at the venue anyways. Or look at an amp that can switch down to 30wats and go up to 60w?
Old 03-24-2018, 03:01 PM

If you want open back I like the Sennheiser 600s. I don't like the way Grado's feel on my ears. I needed closed back at the time and auditioned 4 different close back sets and found the best value for the money were the Audio-Technica ATH-M50's (now the M50x). What made me go with those was that I was looking for headphones that would best replicate the speaker sound so the experience wouldn't change all that much when I had to use them. I got mine on a deal for $100 and I think they sell now for around $150.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 03-27-2018, 10:25 PM

Well I pulled the trigger today.

Went for an open back set, AKG 7xx.

My buddy reminded I have a nice set of Bose headphones too, which I’ve never used for guitar playing... I’ll have to do a comparison after the AKG’s arrive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars