The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 07:34 AM

Just so you know, there is also a rosewood version of the Epi (DR-500RCE). Gary Clark Jr. and Zakk Wylde actually play this guitar live for acoustic songs.

I own the DR-500MCE and like one of the posters already said, the neck plays like a dream. With the action set just right, it plays like butter. Since I slapped some D'addario nickel bronze mediums on it, she plays like a dream. I've almost completely abandoned my Gibson Songwriter in favor of this guitar lately. Make sure you play first! And yes, they are all plekk'd! And the tuners stay in tune very well, so far I'm impressed.

They're not really boomy or bassy but they have a pretty nice balance across all the strings and definitely not thin sounding at all. It is enough bass in my opinion, and would probably record really well. My particular guitar has harmonics for days with the right pick attack, too! Been playing a lot of classic rock and blues on it as a result. I would say its a better flat-picker than a fingerstyle guitar though, but only by a hair.

One of the rare cases where a guitar has lived up to its perceived 'hype'. (i.e. the bajillion good reviews online) I really can't stress enough how fun this guitar is to play. The fun-factor should be really taken into consideration here.

Last edited by Static; 06-22-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:26 AM

Default Excellent Value

My father-in-law has owned about a half dozen of these over the years and they all have been really good guitars for very little money, relative to their value and utility. Great sounding electronics. It's the main guitar that he's used to lead worship weekly for about a decade, and when he wears through the frets, he has a spare sitting in a case in the basement.

I enjoy these guitars as well, but haven't played the rosewood version. I'd love to get my hands on one at some point and take it for a spin. Truthfully, having played many Taylors in the 2xx series, I think I would go with the Epiphone. All solid woods, great onboard electronics, and I think it outperforms many of them, though admittedly they're always in a store setting and may not have been set up optimally. Good luck with your hunt! I recommend finding a good deal on a used one if you can!
Harmony h162
Old 06-22-2018, 10:13 AM

I've played the Taylor you mention, but can't remember it distinctly, other than it had a bright tone to my ear, which was okay by me.

I've played the Epiphone in question at a guitar store here, a few times. I loved it. I see a DR500-P online (maple back and sides/sans electronics), that interests me.

Everyone's ear/fingers/playing style differs. So playing these multiple times, is always the best road to travel.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 06-22-2018, 11:13 AM

In that price range you have a lot of options. I would not limit myself to those models.

You can find a used Taylor DN3 or 310 in that range, used Larrivee 03 series, used Martin Road Series, for example. Although the Epi Masterbilt and Taylor 100 series are fine guitars in their own right, the guitars I listed are superior IMO. Just check out the GC website.

Shopping new, Blueridge, Eastman, Godin, Martin Road series.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

It sounds like the OP wants to buy new, which is cool. If not, Epiphone gutted the Masterbilt line a few back, removing all the best models.

Without question, the best models in the lineup were the slope dreads, the AJ models. One of the reason you'll always find a ton of the DR models on sale used is they don't measure up. I just looked on ebay and there are more than a dozen DR's on sale, and only one AJ:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Epiphone-Ma...QAAOSwhIZbKVcT

I own three of these, and they are just fantastic. We have to remember that Gibson invented the slope dread and has been building them for 70+ years. They know how to do it.

The one from ebay above is the AJ-500M, "m" standing for mahogany. They also made a AJ-500R, same guitar with rosewood.

Here's me playing one live.

I own three of these, and they're all keepers.

Funny story: I was at my luthier's shop about six months ago, and someone asked him what acoustic guitar to buy. Without a beat, he said, "Get ahold of a used Epiphone Masterbilt," not knowing about my love of them. So that's someone who's been inside thousands of guitars saying this.

If you decide to go the DR direction, there are a ton of very clean ones out there for about half the $799 you'll pay at GC for new.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

scott memmer
Old 06-22-2018, 03:08 PM

I didn't like the ones I've played. They always sounded too bassy to me, dull and missing clarity especially in the mids.

I much preferred the cheaper Texan tbh. Maybe I just prefer the slope-shoulder sound IDK, but it sounds clearer to me, while still being very warm.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Without question, the best models in the lineup were the slope dreads, the AJ models. One of the reason you'll always find a ton of the DR models on sale used is they don't measure up. I just looked on ebay and there are more than a dozen DR's on sale, and only one AJ.
They don't measure up? That's kind of a blanket statement not really based in fact. Could just be a lot of people get the DR-500-MCE and then eventually sell it to fund J45's and D18's.

It would have been cool if you just said you're more of a slope shoulder fan. That would have been a much more factual statement. Your ears clearly crave a little more volume and warmth. I enjoy the punchy-ness and brightness of the DR's, even after watching your video of the AJ.

I wanted a bluesey and dirty little dread and it delivered. Maybe I'll check out an AJ if I see one though. Certainly sounds pretty balanced. But you see, I can see you liking that if you have a softer playing style like I saw in the video. Probably a great little cowboy chord strummer and it complimented your vox well.

Whereas I have a raspy voice and really dig in on the attack, and the dirty little DR-500 compliments my style more.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static View Post
They don't measure up? That's kind of a blanket statement not really based in fact. Could just be a lot of people get the DR-500-MCE and then eventually sell it to fund J45's and D18's.

It would have been cool if you just said you're more of a slope shoulder fan. That would have been a much more factual statement. Your ears clearly crave a little more volume and warmth. I enjoy the punchy-ness and brightness of the DR's, even after watching your video of the AJ.

I wanted a bluesey and dirty little dread and it delivered. Maybe I'll check out an AJ if I see one though. Certainly sounds pretty balanced. But you see, I can see you liking that if you have a softer playing style like I saw in the video. Probably a great little cowboy chord strummer and it complimented your vox well.

Whereas I have a raspy voice and really dig in on the attack, and the dirty little DR-500 compliments my style more.
Static, thanks for your post and observations and apologies if I inadvertently offended you. I can tell you that part of my opinion is based on the many dozens of Epi Masterbilt owners I've met over the years who very vehemently, almost to a man, tell me the slope dreads are by far the best models in the line. Honestly, I cannot even count the number of people who have told me that.

I like doing research; in fact I LOVE doing research. After I read your post, I took some time to go through all the used Epiphone Masterbilts on the internet, to see if maybe I was wrong. I will share these numbers in a moment.

As far as my preference, I'm sure you're right about that. However, you might be interested to know that I was raised by Martin Nazis here in L.A., and in fact, as stupid as this may sounds, I didn't even know Gibson (or Epiphone) made acoustic guitars till about ten years ago. I mean, I was that brainwashed. And I've been playing guitar for 45 years! So I was on the Martin acoustic bandwageon for over four decades, not even knowing another acoustic sound existed out there.

I discovered the Epi MB AJ's at Guitar Center about a decade or so ago. I immediately fell in love with it and was able to find a really clean used one for $350. It's still with me. In fact that's the one I'm playing in the vid you commented about.

The numbers I found on the Web really surprised me, proving even more that people hang onto the AJs while dumping the DRs. I should mention that these numbers do not include the newer AJ-45, which was still-born and dead on arrival, nor the newer archtop models. The AJ-45 is, to put it mildly, underwhelming. I played one of the first ones shipped in the U.S. in June 2016 at Sam Ash in Hollywood and was hugely disappointed.

Here's what I found, used DRs vs used AJs:

Ebay:
DRs = 24
AJs = 5

It gets even more pronounced on Reverb:

DRs = 37
AJs = 7

I like data. It tells a story. I don't think the DR models are dogs, not like the AJ-45ME. But I do think the AJ models are in a league of their own, and this opinion is shared by almost everyone I've talked to who's played both.

One other thing. I worked in sales and marketing for many years for Alpine Car Audio, GE and AT&T. I learned pretty early on this truism: The marketplace will always tell you whether you're right or wrong. In other words, if a manufacturer made something that wasn't as good as the other things they made, or not as good as other competitive products on the market: It wouldn't sell. The marketplace is always right.

I never write posts this long, but the whole issue intrigues me. If you have a DR, that's a pretty dang good guitar. But the AJs? They're really something special. In fact word has it that they were so good that they were stealing sales -- at half the price -- from sales of Gibson Bozeman.

Take Care,
Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 06-22-2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Static, thanks for your post and observations and apologies if I inadvertently offended you. I can tell you that part of my opinion is based on the many dozens of Epi Masterbilt owners I've met over the years who very vehemently, almost to a man, tell me the slope dreads are by far the best models in the line. Honestly, I cannot even count the number of people who have told me that.

I like doing research; in fact I LOVE doing research. After I read your post, I took some time to go through all the used Epiphone Masterbilts on the internet, to see if maybe I was wrong. I will share these numbers in a moment.

As far as my preference, I'm sure you're right about that. However, you might be interested to know that I was raised by Martin Nazis here in L.A., and in fact, as stupid as this may sounds, I didn't even know Gibson (or Epiphone) made acoustic guitars till about ten years ago. I mean, I was that brainwashed. And I've been playing guitar for 45 years! So I was on the Martin acoustic bandwageon for over four decades, not even knowing another acoustic sound existed out there.

I discovered the Epi MB AJ's at Guitar Center about a decade or so ago. I immediately fell in love with it and was able to find a really clean used one for $350. It's still with me. In fact that's the one I'm playing in the vid you commented about.

The numbers I found on the Web really surprised me, proving even more that people hang onto the AJs while dumping the DRs. I should mention that these numbers do not include the newer AJ-45, which was still-born and dead on arrival, nor the newer archtop models. The AJ-45 is, to put it mildly, underwhelming. I played one of the first ones shipped in the U.S. in June 2016 at Sam Ash in Hollywood and was hugely disappointed.

Ebay:
DRs = 24
AJs = 5

DRs = 37
AJs = 7

I like data. It tells a story. I don't think the DR models are dogs, not like the AJ-45ME. But I do think the AJ models are in a league of their own, and this opinion is shared by almost everyone I've talked to who's played both.

One other thing. I worked in sales and marketing for many years for Alpine Car Audio, GE and AT&T. I learned pretty early on this truism: The marketplace will always tell you whether you're right or wrong. In other words, if a manufacturer made something that wasn't as good as the other things they made, or not as good as other competitive products on the market: It wouldn't sell. The marketplace is always right.

I never write posts this long, but the whole issue intrigues me. If you have a DR, that's a pretty dang good guitar. But the AJs? They're really something special. In fact word has it that they were so good that they were stealing sales -- at half the price -- from sales of Gibson Bozeman.

Take Care,
Scott
I quite appreciate folks trying to bring data to bear on topics, and I have often found your posts helpful. However, the data you posted (more DR models that AJ models for sale) could just as easily be explained by greater sales of DR models rather than players refusing to part with AJ models. I don't follow that model line closely, but from casual reading, if the DR models have been sold for a longer period that would tend to produce greater numbers out there for possible used sales, and the longer time on the market would also indicate that someone is reading the market as preferring the DR, would it not?

Another data point that would in interesting, and perhaps more indicative of market-perceived value: average completed used sale prices, perhaps corrected to percent of their price when new.

None of this is meant as a challenge to your testimonial to the sound and value of the AJ models of course.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 06-23-2018, 09:58 AM

I’ve played a couple.
They have been very good guitars.
I actually almost bought one a couple years back. And I’m notoriously picky.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-23-2018, 10:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I quite appreciate folks trying to bring data to bear on topics, and I have often found your posts helpful. However, the data you posted (more DR models that AJ models for sale) could just as easily be explained by greater sales of DR models rather than players refusing to part with AJ models. I don't follow that model line closely, but from casual reading, if the DR models have been sold for a longer period that would tend to produce greater numbers out there for possible used sales, and the longer time on the market would also indicate that someone is reading the market as preferring the DR, would it not?

Another data point that would in interesting, and perhaps more indicative of market-perceived value: average completed used sale prices, perhaps corrected to percent of their price when new.

None of this is meant as a challenge to your testimonial to the sound and value of the AJ models of course.
Frank, and none of mine was meant to challenge your assertions. We just agree to disagree, that's all. I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond. Suffice it say, the older Epi MB line (before they disco'd the best models) represents one of the best values in the used acoustic guitar market under $500.

Again, Frank, thanks so much. Interesting conversation.

Be Well,
Scott
Old 06-23-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:

Ebay:
DRs = 24
AJs = 5

DRs = 37
AJs = 7

Take Care,
Scott
I echo a lot of Frank's sentiments but we're all entitled to theorize.

I'll give you this, Scott, that AJ is probably one of, if not the most warmest and sweetest guitars I've heard for the money. Only thing I've seen that is in the same neighbourhood tonewise (in that price neighbourhood) is the Seagull Artist Mosaic Cedar topped guitar. The cheaper one without the cutaway or electronics.

Soft and warm isn't my thing personally but if I see one come along online used for a good price, and clean, I most certainly will be inclined to get it ASAP for those days where I'm in a more James Taylor/Willie Nelson state if mind. What a nice sounding guitar. Thank you so much for the good run-down on the AJ, brother! Hold onto that one.

I suppose, in regards to the original thread-starter....I guess it all depends on what stuff you like to play acoustically. If you play a lot of blues'd up classic rock and the odd super-charged uptempo Johnny Cash-style strumming...or lots if scratchy 90's tunes for that matter....you couldn't do much better for the DR-500MCE for the price. Like I said before.....what a dirty little beast of a guitar.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:02 PM

Almost word for word what i would've posted. I played an Epi Masterbuilt I spotted in a Guitar Center while traveling. I spied it in their acoustic room, got it off the wall and, yes nice looking and well built.
The E10D to me exceeds it in every way but particularly with regard to tone and playability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My guitar instructor has an Epi Masterbuilt like the one you are considering.
I have played it. It is a nice-looking, well-built guitar.
Tone-wise, I would pick the Eastman that was suggested, no hesitation. For my money, the E10D is a better sounding guitar.
It has Adirondack Spruce on top and very good quality Mahogany back and sides. It will be louder and have a nice deep punchy bass.
That Furch is a great buy if you are ok with a Cedar top.
I wouldn't be because It doesn't suit my playing style of picking and strumming.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbutcheraxis View Post
The E10D to me exceeds it in every way but particularly with regard to tone and playability.
It sure as heck better exceed it. Its like double to cost lol.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:01 AM

Picked up one of these based on how good folks say they sound plugged in and am pleasantly surprised at how much I am liking this Epiphone DR500. I don't know how you could do better for the price? All solid woods,bone saddle and nut, dual pickup system with 2 output jacks...AND it plays super smooth and easily.

Anyone else got one of these models and did you upgrade anything on it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion