The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 08:00 PM

Exclamation Epiphone Masterbuilt DR-500MCE...Really that good?

I am a fairly new player and want to upgrade my acoustic. I purchased a Taylor 214ce-k, but when I got it home, I just thought it sounded too thin. I sent it back and now am trying to decide between a 214ce Deluxe, I like the rosewood sound better, or the Epiphone. The EPI has tons of great reviews on YouTube and all over the internet. The Taylor has good reviews too, but its twice the price. What do you guys think?
Old 06-21-2018, 08:13 PM

I cannot comment on the Taylor having never played one. The DR-500MCE I have is a great player with a warm, mellow tone.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 PM

No affiliation with the seller, but I’d grab that E10D in the classifieds for 500. Very thick tone throughout the trebles with deep clear bass.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
I cannot comment on the Taylor having never played one. The DR-500MCE I have is a great player with a warm, mellow tone.
I have heard that it is as deep as the rosewood and it is all mahogany, unlike the layered rosewood in the Taylor. When did you get yours? I hear they are plek'd
Old 06-21-2018, 08:24 PM

IS that an Eastman guitar?
Old 06-21-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1972 View Post
IS that an Eastman guitar?

Yep. I almost want to buy it even though I have one already.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:31 PM

I would be surprised if you were happy with the "rosewood" 214 if you were not happy with the other one. It is probable you don't care for "the Taylor sound" and should get something different, IMO.

Can't speak to the Epi, only ever saw one Masterbuilt, and while I was not very impressed with that, I don't even know what model it was.

If it was me, I would save up a little more and go Eastman or Guild.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:42 PM

I like the Taylor sounds, just not the layered Koa sound. Worried about lasting with a layered guitar, only fear from getting the 214ce deluxe and the price, but if you google this specific EPI you will see all kinds of killer reviews.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:09 PM

I would also point you to the classifieds for this incredible deal: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=513655

No affiliation with the seller. All solid wood guitar, and a modern voicing.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:07 AM

My guitar instructor has an Epi Masterbuilt like the one you are considering.
I have played it. It is a nice-looking, well-built guitar.
Tone-wise, I would pick the Eastman that was suggested, no hesitation. For my money, the E10D is a better sounding guitar.
It has Adirondack Spruce on top and very good quality Mahogany back and sides. It will be louder and have a nice deep punchy bass.
That Furch is a great buy if you are ok with a Cedar top.
I wouldn't be because It doesn't suit my playing style of picking and strumming.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 06-22-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:30 AM

great advice here so far.

I had a very good experience with my only Epiphone; while it wasn't a masterbilt (it was a PR-350SM ) mine played way above its price tag. very, very, very good guitar. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the epiphone, but I would make an attempt to play it first before buying. Is that an option for you, or no? (I know that sometimes it is not)

I also like Eastman's sound, but I have never been able to get along with the thick lacquered necks... super 'sticky'.. but, granted, that's only been on about 3 models I've tried, so there may be different ones out there.

With all the options given here in the previous replies, I would try the guitars first, unless you're pretty sure about the brand/model. The last EPiphone Masterbilt I tried was at Guitar Center... the sound was amazing.... it literally sounded better than every Martin they had in there.. (which wasn't saying much as their selection wasn't great) but I couldn't stand the sunburst and bright orange color. sounded and played fantastic tho.

good luck
Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-22-2018, 05:49 AM

It's time to put some miles on the car and drive to a couple of GCs and other guitar shops and try some guitars, rather than relying of reviews of others. I would find one year really like, then do pair-wise comparisons rather than trying to "remember" what different guitars sound like.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
It's time to put some miles on the car and drive to a couple of GCs and other guitar shops and try some guitars, rather than relying of reviews of others. I would find one year really like, then do pair-wise comparisons rather than trying to "remember" what different guitars sound like.
That's great advice.
Unfortunately, you won't find any Eastmans at GC.
That's too bad.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-22-2018, 07:02 AM

If you play out and plug in, or are a home recording fan that plugs into a processor/interface into your DAW, the Epiphone is a very good choice. The piezo and neck p/u running combined or as stereo outs are excellent for stage and recording use. This dual pick up setup is well beyond anything else at this price point. And on top of the electronics, you get an all solid wood guitar, bone nut and saddle, grover 18:1 sta-tite tuners, rosewood fretboard and bridge and a plek'd neck from the factory. The guitar plays itself, the neck is so nice. This is no collector guitar, it's a working guitar. It's meant to be played and enjoyed. And when you get a hard case and a professional set up you are still under a grand all in. What can be bad?

Last edited by Chickee; 06-22-2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-22-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1972 View Post
I have heard that it is as deep as the rosewood and it is all mahogany, unlike the layered rosewood in the Taylor. When did you get yours? I hear they are plek'd
I got mine in October of 2013. It does have a deep voice but not as deep as rosewood. It is all solid mahogany back and sides. I have been thinking about getting rid of mine due to shoulder issues and the fact that an OM/000 fits me better. Then I get it out and play it and realize I really like that sound.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion