The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2018, 01:12 PM

Default NOGD - Eastman E10ss

I moved back to the United States this week after working in China for several years and was forced to sell my Yamaha FG800 because I did not have space to carry it back on the plane. I knew that I would miss the sound of a dreadnought, so I kept an eye out for dreadnought deals. Luckily I found a good deal on a used Eastman E10ss on Craigslist and purchased the guitar on my return to the US.

The guitar is in excellent condition and sounds very good. It gives me that rumbling dreadnought bass that I miss in my small bodied guitars.

I am at least the third owner of this guitar and somewhere along the line it picked up a set of mismatched bridge pins. The current pins look to seat the strings against the bridge plate well, but I would prefer to have a matched set. Does anybody have any recommendations on a set of new bridge pins for an E10ss?

Eastman E10ss owners, what strings do you think would bring out the best in this guitar?

Old 06-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I have a set or two of original Eastman ebony pins. PM me with your address, and I'll send them to you.

And congratulations on the new slope shoulder!
Old 06-14-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
I have a set or two of original Eastman ebony pins. PM me with your address, and I'll send them to you.
Thank you for the generous offer! PM sent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
And congratulations on the new slope shoulder!
Thanks! I am really enjoying it so far. The guitar is much more resonant than my FG800, especially in the trebles.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:21 PM

Very nice used guitar there! Bet she sounds sweet. Certainly should give you a deeper growl than the Yamaha.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 06-14-2018, 05:03 PM

You got yourself a great replacement in that SS Eastman.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Most of you have seen this vid, but for the new E-10SS owner here's mine totally dialed in with new setup, new strings, great pick, etc., played directly into a Shure SM-58, no pickup. Yes, these DO rival the best out there -- Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, Collings -- and need make no apologies to any of them. Eastmans are not "good for the money," they're flat out good.

I bought this one from Zissou in this thread, who has ever since been begging me to sell it back to him. My offer stands: full retail price AND he pays shipping.

This is one of my favorite songs of all time, Michael Smith's folk standard "The Dutchman."

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PfTx2yws1E
Old 06-14-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Most of you have seen this vid, but for the new E-10SS owner here's mine totally dialed in with new setup, new strings, great pick, etc., played directly into a Shure SM-58, no pickup. Yes, these DO rival the best out there -- Martins, Taylors, Gibsons, Collings -- and need make no apologies to any of them. Eastmans are not "good for the money," they're flat out good.

I bought this one from Zissou in this thread, who has ever since been begging me to sell it back to him. My offer stands: full retail price AND he pays shipping.

This is one of my favorite songs of all time, Michael Smith's folk standard "The Dutchman."

Enjoy!

More details...impressions please. What is the neck like (modern Martin-like, Gibson-like, etc.)? Sitka Spruce over Mahogany?

I am interested in something “like” the Gibson LG-2...without the LG-2 price tag.

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post

Enjoy!

To tell the truth, I have seen this video before, and it was a large part of why I sought out this Eastman model. It's a great performance of a great song. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Last edited by Mortimor; 06-14-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
More details...impressions please. What is the neck like (modern Martin-like, Gibson-like, etc.)? Sitka Spruce over Mahogany?

I am interested in something “like” the Gibson LG-2...without the LG-2 price tag.

Thanks!
Speed, I have to confess that I'm not really fussy on neck shapes. I have an old HD-28 with a baseball bat for a neck, and I have a couple wonderful little Epiphone Masterbilts with thinner necks, and I probably would put the Eastie somewhere between those two. I have large hands and it's just never been an issue for me. If an acoustic guitar is set up by a pro, I'm good to go. I also play nylon with standard width traditional nut and that's no problem for me. So I'm probably the wrong guy to ask on that one.

I will say that the E-10SS with light gauge strings has more pop than my HD-28, and this is not to talk down the Martin. Also, as would also be said of the J-45, this is a much more versatile guitar than a typical Martin dread. It is a fantastic fingerstyle axe as well.

The E-10SS is adi over hog. I would say the neck is more modern, but not as thin as some.

From the little I know about the LG-2, I believe this is a different animal. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the LG-2 is ladder braced, and also a smaller body than this one. I'd be certain that Eastman has something that would fit in there, but not this one.

hope this helps,
scott
Old 06-15-2018, 01:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimor View Post
To tell the truth, I have seen this video before, and it was a large part of why I sought out this Eastman model. It's a great performance of a great song. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Mort, so kind of you. Thanks so much. That is mostly the Steve Goodman version of the song, which I saw him do in concert probably at least forty years ago. It struck me then, and strikes me still. Michael Smith is a genius.

Glad you got an E-10SS. Mine has opened up incredibly and just has that POP that is so distinctive and particular to slope dreads. Funny, I was raised here in SoCal by Martin Nazis and didn't even know Gibson made flat tops till about twenty years ago. Yes, that brainwashed. Since then I've switched from square-shouldered to round, and from rosewood to hog. Go figure. I still love both, but the Eastie has settled that argument.

Thanks again, and so excited to see become a member of the growing Eastman family.

Be Well,
Scott
Old 06-15-2018, 08:48 AM

Congrats! What sweet guitars these are. I auditioned one for a month she loved it. It it wasn't for the short scale I'd still have it. I settled on an e20d but someday i will own one of these gems.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

BTW, folks, on "The Dutchman" post, this was to highlight the guitar and the song, not me. As a performer, when I do a cover of a world-class ballad like that I see my role as getting out of the way of the song and putting it front and center. Anything more and it detracts from the beautiful lyrics and the narrative.

scott
Old 06-15-2018, 12:38 PM

I always prefer Bob Colosi dyed bone bridge pins.. but that's just me. I have a couple sets of ebony ones as well. Lots of options out there.

www.guitarsaddles.com
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 06-16-2018, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the E10ss! Eastman makes some great guitars, and this model has a great tone in a slope shoulder. Cheers!
Old 06-16-2018, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

Great find. That’s a fine guitar.

As to strings, that’s tough. I would start with Phospher Bronze 12s—try John Pearse? Lately, on my J 50, I’ve been using round-core strings like Pyramids.

You’ll enjoy the search.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion