The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I like finger ease, be using it for many years , Don't spray it. Just give a little cloth a shot and wipe the strings. Besides making strings slick it doe's prolong the strings life. a spray bottle will last a year or so.

The Stuff is very slippery , watch out if sprayed over a hardwood floor, the small over spray spreads without realizing.

Don't like the other product Fast Fret, once dropped the dumb wooden applicator, on guitars top when it cough the string the wrong way while rubbing.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
The instructions call for it to be sprayed a few inches above the fretboard.
Right... so why is everyone mentioning spraying it on the neck?
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 06-22-2018, 09:15 AM

This sounds Uber gross but hey, y'all don't know me IRL, so here I go:

When I played electric exclusively I would wonder why sometimes my guitar neck would be so easy to navigate yet other times my hand would stick, making travel to other areas of the fretboard a pain. When we (my band and I) were playing a show outdoors in the summer I had been sweating like mad and at some point wiped my greasy French/Italian forehead with my fretting hand.
It was then that I realized my fretboard movement was a breeze after.

Yup, that's right, not sweat... but good ole fashioned forehead grease.

I've probably just destroyed any chance of selling guitars on this site in the future, but there it is.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:20 AM

Thumbs up

I use Finger Ease religiously on my electrics, but only on the strings. I've tried it once or twice on the back of the neck and hate the feel and cleaned it off (with Ronsonol) immediately. There have been a few occasions when I've used it on my acoustics, depending on the strings. Some strings just don't allow you to slide as easily as others. My use on acoustics has been very sparing. You have to try for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I bought a couple cans about a year ago and I'm still using those, but, yes, can't be a lot of product in that applicator.
Yeah, if used sparingly a can can last a very long time. I tried D'Addario XLR8 once and it didn't work so well and has very limited about of stuff loaded into the sponge. You end up paying for a can an applicator. So I just spray Finger Ease onto the XLR8 sponge and wipe on. You don't waste the spray this way. I've got a new can on the shelf waiting for the old can to give up the ghost after more than a year.

Where I do like Finger Ease a lot these days is on roundwound bass strings. I only need to do an application every so often. And then with bass strings, will periodically slap the goop out of them, and eventually boil them to refresh the sound and prolong their life (cause them strings are expensive).

Finger Ease is a terrific product when used in the right situation.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-22-2018, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Thank you for sharing that. I thought I was the only one.

Nasal sebum, also known as nose grease/oil, is grease removed from the surface of the human nose. The pores of the lateral creases (where the nose joins the face) of the exterior of the nose create and store more oil and grease than pores elsewhere on the human body, forming a readily available source of small quantities of grease or oil. The grease is a particularly oily form of sebum, thought to contain more squalene (C30H50) than the secretions from other parts of the skin.[citation needed] It is notable because nose grease is a convenient durable lubricant.

Nose grease can be used to minimize scratches in optical surfaces, for example when cleaning photographic negatives.[1] Observatory lore holds that nose grease was used to reduce stray light and reflections in transmissive telescopes before the development of vacuum antireflective coatings.[2] The antireflective properties are due in part to the fact that the nose oil fills small cracks and scratches and forms a smooth, polished surface, and in part to the low index of refraction of the oil, which can reduce surface reflection from transmissive optics that have a high index of refraction. The same effect is sometimes used by numismatic hobbyists to alter the apparent grade of slightly worn coins.[3]

Nose grease is often recommended as a lubricant for fly fishing rod ferrules.[4] [5]

Nose grease has mild antifoaming properties and can be used to break down a high head on freshly poured beer or soft drinks. Wiping nose grease onto one's finger and then touching or stirring the foam causes it to dissipate rapidly.[6]
Old 06-22-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Right... so why is everyone mentioning spraying it on the neck?
Just checked....directions actually call to do both - spray across the strings and also some on the back of the neck.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotALuth View Post
For anyone interested he is a link to the Safety Data Sheet for the product.
http://chem-pak.com/download/musical...=1500401303268
Thanks, very useful. How did you find the SDS? - I spent a few minutes online, struck-out, and gave up.

It's nice to know it doesn't cause cancer. Interesting that something named 'Finger-ease" causes skin irritation (although it didn't for me when I used it a few times). It's also 'extremely flammable' (don't smoke around it).

The SDS says it 'may cause drowsiness & dizziness', which could explain why I haven't progressed very quickly in my guitar playing.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Thanks, very useful. How did you find the SDS? - I spent a few minutes online, struck-out, and gave up.
You’re welcome. As I was unfamiliar with the product I googled it and the manufacturer showed up on the first search page. On their website there is a menu option for SDSs and then an option for Musical Safety Data Sheets so I just followed that.

Unfortunately neither the GHS nor Jim Dunlop sites were as forthcoming - it might have been useful to be able to compare the SDSs for FastFret and (probably the most common) Lemon Oil as well. They should provide them if you ask, but as I will never use either product I couldn’t be bothered.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:24 PM

Works for me! LOL
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hdjo6.jpg (36.1 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-22-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post

It's nice to know it doesn't cause cancer. Interesting that something named 'Finger-ease" causes skin irritation (although it didn't for me when I used it a few times). It's also 'extremely flammable' (don't smoke around it).

The SDS says it 'may cause drowsiness & dizziness', which could explain why I haven't progressed very quickly in my guitar playing.
good one...!!
Old 06-22-2018, 07:51 PM

I do like Finger Ease, but not on the strings

I actually spray it on the back of my neck before I go out on stage. Keeps my hand from sticking from the lacquer getting all sweaty.

I've done that for decades on all my guitars.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 06-22-2018, 08:53 PM

I used it on my electric guitars in my performing days, sprayed straight on the strings and fretboard. I didn't spray it on the back of the neck.

That was quite some time ago. I never tried it on one of my acoustics, though.

I never had an issue with it.

I was told by one of my guitar teachers that a well known late guitarist would casually rub his fingertips behind his ear to pick up some natural oil to reduce squeak.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:11 PM

It just occurred to me, Finger Ease would also reduce string squeal on some strings which might be helpful in a recording situation.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-06-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
I was told by one of my guitar teachers that a well known late guitarist would casually rub his fingertips behind his ear to pick up some natural oil to reduce squeak.

I learned a similar trick from a well known jazz bassist. He would bring his left hand to his forehead, as if he were scratching his head. He was rubbing his fingers at the hairline to get some oils onto them.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion