The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
It's a gimmick. Put your money into a proper setup.
Not sure why you feel it is a 'gimmick'? Definitely does what it is supposed to - at least I think so.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

I use Fast Fret on occasion, i prefer the wipe on to spray on. After stetting up, dealing w/ cables that have been on the stage floor the previous gig, hands can get grimy. I'm obsessive about washing my hands before I play but if i forget to wipe off the strings after the gig, Fast Fret will make them feel nice and slick.

My guitars have nitro finishes and I've never seem any problems from using Fast Fret.

Last edited by stephenT; 03-26-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:20 PM

I used to use Fast Fret or Finger Ease spray regularly on my electrics back in my performing days. So did the other guitarists in the band.
Never had an issue with it.
It's not a gimmik and it works but, as mentioned before, it has to be reapplied often.

I never used it on my acoustics, though.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenT View Post
I use Fast Fret on occasion, i prefer the wipe on to spray on. After stetting up, dealing w/ cables that have been on the stage floor the previous gig, hands can get grimy. I'm obsessive about washing my hands before I play but if i forget to wipe off the strings after the gig, Fast Fret will make them feel nice and slick.

My guitars have nitro finishes and I've never seem any problems from using Fast Fret.

I have a couple of bottles but they always seem to dry out even though I keep both the inner and outer caps on.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I bought a couple cans about a year ago and I'm still using those, but, yes, can't be a lot of product in that applicator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I have a couple of bottles but they always seem to dry out even though I keep both the inner and outer caps on.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I was watching a video with Ray Benson last weekend (Asleep at the Wheel) where he says, "I'm going to show you a trick I learned for helping my fingers slide up and down the fretboard (paraphrasing)."

Then he takes his fingers, wipes them on the crease next to the bridge of the nose and says something to the effect of, "nature's best."

I'll stick to the Finger-ease myself.

Rick
Pepe Romero used his brother's nose.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:16 PM

I use it fairly often before recording to reduce finger squeaks. I put a towel between the strings and neck before spraying, then remove and wipe up an excess on the strings. Works well.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:54 PM

I've used it before, does a good job of reducing finger noise.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
Not sure why you feel it is a 'gimmick'? Definitely does what it is supposed to - at least I think so.
I guess because I started playing guitar before this stuff was invented and learned how to do a proper setup to make my guitars play the way I like them without having to spray stuff on the fretboard. I also don't mind a little finger squeak now and then however with a proper technique, finger noise can be minimized if you know how.

Now if it works for you or someone else then who am I to argue?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I guess because I started playing guitar before this stuff was invented and learned how to do a proper setup to make my guitars play the way I like them without having to spray stuff on the fretboard. I also don't mind a little finger squeak now and then however with a proper technique, finger noise can be minimized if you know how.

Now if it works for you or someone else then who am I to argue?
I have a "proper setup" and it has nothing to do with whether finger ease is beneficial. And I have "proper technique." Can you be more condescending?
Old 03-26-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
I have a "proper setup" and it has nothing to do with whether finger ease is beneficial. And I have "proper technique." Can you be more condescending?
The person asked my opinion. I apologize if you found my response condescending. That was not my intention.

Yet another reason why I will never offer my opinion on this forum ever again. I will go back to playing my guitar now.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:30 PM

Quote:
The person asked my opinion. I apologize if you found my response condescending. That was not my intention.

Yet another reason why I will never offer my opinion on this forum ever again. I will go back to playing my guitar now.
Hey, your opinion is valued here. Sometimes we all miscommunicate without intending to. I typically get in trouble when I type too fast and don't stop to think about how my phrasing might get interpreted.

I recently had a private message exchange with someone who told me he didn't want me responding to any of his posts because he considers me to be "arrogant and hypocritical." I'm not sure where he got that impression, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Which is basically what I told him in reply.

Paul here is a good guy and also contributes a lot to the forum. You've apologized to him so let's put it behind us and move on.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 03-26-2018, 11:38 PM

Try a tiny amount of baby oil. It's cheap, available worldwide, doesn't hurt the finish (although it will seep into any unfinished wood, not necessarily a bad thing) and it works great. Smells okay too.

Just a drop of two on the tips of your fingers, rub into the back of the neck, from there onto your hand and finger tips.

If you get too much on your fingers and hands / guitar just wipe it down with a paper towel.

Seriously, it's great. If you wayyyy overdo it you might dull the tone of your strings. Get the amount just right and the strings actually last longer, no corrosion. The strings are easy to clean at the end of the night as well, since the oil softens all the dirt from your fingers.

Best...H
Old 03-27-2018, 12:09 AM

I use Fast Fret , have done for years . I used it on my electrics and now on my acoustics . I find if used sparingly it does clean the strings and prolong their life
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-27-2018, 05:41 AM

I used to use fast fret, back when I still used uncoated strings.
Mostly to prevent them from rusting, but I liked the slicker playing feel to.
Nowadays I just use Elixirs, same effect with less hassle.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion