The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2017, 01:10 PM

Default Paige Capos-What's The Consensus

I really like and use Shubb capos but am interested in the configuration where you can park the capo at the base of the head stock. The Elliot is out of the question at $150.00 a pop. I see the Paige capos on line for sale. What do you all think of these?
Old 01-27-2017, 01:14 PM

well the Paige capo seems to work ok for me--i used one off & on for a few years, but Shubb has come up with their Fine Tune capo at less than half the cost of an Elliott
i have 2 of the FT capos--one for my 1 11/16 neck & one for 1 3/4 neck & im very happy with them
YMMV
Fishman Loudbox Mini

https://soundcloud.com/fat-daddy-206551814

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...JZsD2t0JaE03xg
Old 01-27-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdn View Post
well the Paige capo seems to work ok for me--i used one off & on for a few years, but Shubb has come up with their Fine Tune capo at less than half the cost of an Elliott
i have 2 of the FT capos--one for my 1 11/16 neck & one for 1 3/4 neck & im very happy with them
YMMV
Hmm, didn't know about those. Thank you
Old 01-27-2017, 01:20 PM

I have owned and used the Paige. They don't work or last as well as others.

I do not recommend them. At that price range you are better served by the Shubb or Victor... Just pop them in your pocket when not using them.

I use Elliott mainly, but never leave them on the headstock anyway, because they don't hang in the Hercules stands I use on stage and I switch off from guitar to other instruments off & on all during each set. Keeping things on the headstock is highly over-rated IMO.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:35 PM

I use and like several different capos.
Two of my guitars have Paige capos on them. They work very good and are quick to put in place when on stage.
The second choice for me for a stage is the Kyser.

At home, my favorite capo is Shubb.
It keeps the guitar in tune best but I like the ease of use that Paige offers.

I have a Victor that broke after a few years of use.
It's the only capo that I have ever had break on me.

So in the end, I do like Paige capos and would recommend them.
I also recommend Shubb.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

I have Paige capos on several guitars. I like them - no issues with any of them.

-Mike
Old 01-27-2017, 02:00 PM

I have the Paige Click, not the larger Elliot copy, but it is still a stirrup design. The intonation on the Paige click capo works very well with most C necks, but not the wide and deep V necks. And it doesn't stay behind the nut on the fairly thick Yairi traditional C neck that I use it on, although this is no big deal to me.

The locking bar sometimes comes off the slot on my Paige click, especially at the 7th fret, which is an annoying minus. But when it stays on, the sound is excellent, no buzzing, muffling, or pulling out-of-tune at all.

I'd use the Paige click on my big wide V necked guitar, if it worked properly on that size. Apples to oranges but I like the intonation of the Paige click better on my C neck than I do the Shubb clamp that I use on my big neck guitar, but to be fair to the Shubb, the lack of flawlessly perfect intonation may have to do with the deep V shape of the neck.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mking View Post
I really like and use Shubb capos but am interested in the configuration where you can park the capo at the base of the head stock. The Elliot is out of the question at $150.00 a pop. I see the Paige capos on line for sale. What do you all think of these?
I have a couple of Shubbs that I bought before discovering the Paige.

I'm a big common sense guy. If the $150 Elliott is made with the same basic design, isn't that a vote for the Paige? The Elliott is designed as it is because they believe, as I do, that straight downward pressure is less likely to pull guitar strings out of tune than and other design. Shubb and others are not designed this way, as is obvious by simple observation. They work well, they're fine capos, but I believe that the Paige is the superior capoing method.

The added ease of having it on my guitar is a big plus and in a performance setting, one less thing to have to remember.

One more thing, I demo'd an Elliott and could see no added performance benefit that justified the cost.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

Last edited by Goodallboy; 01-27-2017 at 03:16 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 01-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I've been using Paige Capos for years and I like them a lot. I've had some Elliotts and I have a Shubb Fine tune. The Paige Capos feel more like a tool and the Elliotts feel more like a piece of fine jewelry by comparison. I have Gold hardware on some of my guitars and I can't get a Shubb Fine Tune or Elliott in Gold hardware so the trusty black Paige capos stay with those instruments and function fine for them.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 01-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

I've had two Paige capos for probably a decade, and they work great. No issues, no problems.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:58 PM

Try Bill down at Showcase in Texas. Great guy, makes a terrific Elliot style capo for less than you quoted. It is the only capo I use. Great tone and fine adjustment plus it is beautiful and out of the way when you are picking...

http://www.billstokesshowcase.com/Capos.html

(I don't know the rules about recommending folks. I have zero financial interest in this product but I sure like mine)

Last edited by bjewell; 01-28-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:54 PM

I have tried Shubb, Planet Waves NS, Paige Clicks and Standard. For me and my D-28 I found the Paige Standard the best. It can slide over the volute and seems to do the job tone and playing wise. Price is good.

I didn't like found the Clicks as much due to it not being that "smooth" in operation...but that was just my preference.

So thumbs up for me and Paige!!
Old 01-28-2017, 02:20 PM

I've kept a regular Paige on my DN8 for 4 years and have enjoyed it much more than my Kysers and Dunlop trigger. I would like to get some more to keep on other guitars. The only complaint is that I need to see about getting one to fit a wider neck as I have trouble using it past 5th fret.

I definitely recommend them and they're hard to beat for the price.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:34 PM

The Paige Clik is the only capo I just could not make work. The metal is too thin and flimsy and bends under pressure. The locking mechanism would pop open under pressure as well. I can't recommend them. I've owned dozens of capos. Everything from elastic Bill Russells to Elliots. I've gotten rid of all but my Shubb Standards. I currently own five. One in the house and one in every case. They work, are reasonably priced, and are as well made as any product I have ever owned. Can't imagine ever needing anything else.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:38 PM

I have Paige standard and Clik and both work fine on all my guitars - as do all my Kysers and my Shubb. I have zero problem putting them above the nut whether the guitar has a volute or not. Additionally, I love the almost invisibility of them when applied.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion